Game 3 : @ Oilers

Responded well from adversity...was cheering loud n proud for the Jets last night and glad they got the win. Helle was good, but the more important thing is that the team played well, as a whole. Who starts in goal really isn't important, between Mason and Helle......it's all about how the team plays in front of them. After giving up 22 in the first, the Jets settled down and locked it down....that was awesome to see.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

By the end of this season, Steve Mason will be as much of a factor for this team as Chris Mason was.  This is Hellebuyck's show.  It's only a matter of time before the starter's job is his to keep.

It's Hellebuyck though. Led USA goalies in wins and led NHL in being pulled last year.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Whats the deal with Petan.  Should he be trade bait?  Can he create chances if given better line mates?

Dunno what u can get with Petan. Best career move is Europe/KHL.

Olympics?

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

3 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

It's Hellebuyck though. Led USA goalies in wins and led NHL in being pulled last year.

Dunno what u can get with Petan. Best career move is Europe/KHL.

Olympics?

Right off Petan?  Nah.  He has value.  He's young with talent and is a restricted so he automatically has value.  Jets could hold onto him too long but I'd suspect if they made it known he was available, there are plenty of teams that would look at him and think they can make him a top six guy.

1 hour ago, BomberBall said:

Does anyone know our record with Buff out of the lineup?  I like him, but he also drives me nuts.  He's a unique talent for sure, but he needs to have his wings clipped a bit.  To be honest, I wonder if anyone on the staff ever gets on him about his blunders.

remember Ehlers first hat trick? Buff scored twice that game and he would have gotten a hat trick too that night if AZ had pulled their goalie

18 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Whats this story on Buff?  I keep seeing it being alluded to online but cant find any actual details... ?

Hearing on 1290 that he was off fishing yesterday.   Still unknown if he is really injured.

Not sure this is a big issue with yesterday being a day off for the team.

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Hearing on 1290 that he was off fishing yesterday.   Still unknown if he is really injured.

Not sure this is a big issue with yesterday being a day off for the team.

Seems much ado then.  The chatter was akin to the "track suit story" which I dont get here.  By all accounts its a minor injury...so he's supposed to sit at home on his day off?  Hmmm

One thing I heard 1290 talking about yesterday (Kevin O or whatever his name is) was Buff being hurt.  But they seem to forget that Maurice said (clip was played ON 1290) before the game that if there was a change that resulted in Poolman playing it would be due to "health and poor play".  Or something like that.  I think the Jets are going with the "injury" story but they cant change that the HC said bad play was a factor.

7 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Seems much ado then.  The chatter was akin to the "track suit story" which I dont get here.  By all accounts its a minor injury...so he's supposed to sit at home on his day off?  Hmmm

One thing I heard 1290 talking about yesterday (Kevin O or whatever his name is) was Buff being hurt.  But they seem to forget that Maurice said (clip was played ON 1290) before the game that if there was a change that resulted in Poolman playing it would be due to "health and poor play".  Or something like that.  I think the Jets are going with the "injury" story but they cant change that the HC said bad play was a factor.

Buff also missed practice in the days leading up to the game.

So if he is being benched because of poor play and not an injury, and also missing practice, that would be a bigger story.

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Buff also missed practice in the days leading up to the game.

So if he is being benched because of poor play and not an injury, and also missing practice, that would be a bigger story.

I thought I saw chatter that he was in Minnesota so the story of "he left town" would be a HUGE story if he did so instead of practicing.  But Maurice also said Buff took the pre-game skate (would be easy to verify by people seeing him there) and "couldn't go".  So probably nothing.

Wheeler also took  a "maintenance day" with Buff on the 8th.  On the morning of the 9th, Maurice confirms both took maintenance days and he expects both to be in the lineup.  Following the EDM game coach confirms it's a LBI for Buff and he's day-to-day.  Seems pretty cut & dry to me.

Had Wheeler missed the EDM game, there's zero chance this debate gets raging.   It's all fanspeak at this point; Buff stunk, so we must have benched him.  Nothing in the last few days, or in 6 years, gives indication Jets would make a play like that in game 3 of the season. 

43 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Wheeler also took  a "maintenance day" with Buff on the 8th.  On the morning of the 9th, Maurice confirms both took maintenance days and he expects both to be in the lineup.  Following the EDM game coach confirms it's a LBI for Buff and he's day-to-day.  Seems pretty cut & dry to me.

Had Wheeler missed the EDM game, there's zero chance this debate gets raging.   It's all fanspeak at this point; Buff stunk, so we must have benched him.  Nothing in the last few days, or in 6 years, gives indication Jets would make a play like that in game 3 of the season. 

Except, as I mentioned, Maurice himself said if Poolman played it was due to "injury and poor play".  He didnt specify that he meant both applied to the same player.  But one can draw that inference. 

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Except, as I mentioned, Maurice himself said if Poolman played it was due to "injury and poor play".  He didnt specify that he meant both applied to the same player.  But one can draw that inference. 

I listened to the TSN audio that day and couldn't find the quote.   Ken Wiebe and the media guys who normally tweet that stuff didn't seem to get it. 

The quote also has multiple versions in this thread, so I think we're trying too hard to read into something that's likely not there. 

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

All I can tell you is I heard it.  It was either "health and poor play" or "health and play" with the inference being unhappiness with the quality of play of the D. 

All I'm going to say I usually side with (the good) media who like us can hear everything available to the public, but also have the benefit of being there. Reading tone and body language.  Yeah, I get some feel most media in town tow the Jets line, but still.  

Dangerous game to rely solely on memory....especially since we all seem to consume so much social media fan jargon.   Blurs the lines of who said what. 

Many were suggesting Byfuglien was being benched for his defensive-zone play through the first two games.

The problem with the theory was that Byfuglien hadn’t been on the ice the past two days and if he was being punished, he would have been on the ice taking part in an extra conditioning skate with the other scratches on Monday.

"He just never warmed up,” Maurice said. “He came in for the morning skate and we tried to loosen it up and it didn’t quite warm up. Then he came in an hour before (the pre-game warm-up) and we do a bunch of things with these injuries and if he doesn’t feel right, we don’t put him on the ice.”

Byfuglien was spotted walking with a bit of a limp in the hallway after the game, so it will be interesting to see how the injury progresses during the coming days

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/10/10/jets-maurice-praises-poolman-for-play-against-oilers

Its also entirely possible that he was referring to two different players.  ie. Health (Buff) and play (someone else).  Meaning, had Buff been healthy, he'd have scratched someone else to let Poolman play.

I dont think there is a grand conspiracy.  I do think if we were at a more critical part of the season, Buff probably plays.  Having Poolman here made it easy to let Buff heal up.

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Thought PaMa said Buff was day to day with injury. Seems legit to me.

Good grief.  Yes.  Im saying that earlier in the day 1290 played a clip of Maurice saying he was considering a D change based on "health and play".  It doesnt matter if he later said he made a change based on sorcery and witchcraft.  He still said what he said earlier.  I heard it.  It was very brief in an exchange with a reporter.  No one is suggesting a conspiracy theory.  Just stating facts.

41 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Good grief.  Yes.  Im saying that earlier in the day 1290 played a clip of Maurice saying he was considering a D change based on "health and play".  It doesnt matter if he later said he made a change based on sorcery and witchcraft.  He still said what he said earlier.  I heard it.  It was very brief in an exchange with a reporter.  No one is suggesting a conspiracy theory.  Just stating facts.

FAKE NEWS!

;)