Esks @ Als

1 minute ago, tracker said:

I don't think Mr. Reed is going to have to worry about this team for much longer.

I can't help but agree. The Als have been too use to being the chase for a number of years and under Kavis Reed they have steadfastly declined year over year. I think there will be a new GM and coach (plus a lot of jettison baggage) come 2018.

Wow! Sask and Edm win, us and BC lose. What a terrible weekend. We could not afford to lose to Hamilton at all. At least Ottawa helped us out a bit.

We haven't lost much this year but the losses we have had were real stinkers. Losing the LDC to the Riders always hurts. The loss to BC early in the season really stung. This loss to Hamilton has me scratching my head so much it hurts. If we win those games, and they were winnable,  just think where we'd be now. 

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

???

I was getting at the fact that we aren't going to host the WF now that we've added the Hamilton loss to the list. There was still a chance before that. A team like Calgary sees us lose a game like that and they stop worrying about us. Not good. They are bound and determined to get back to the GC and win it. Our best chance at beating them would have been to plant the seed of doubt and force them to come to IGF and beat us in our barn. Now we will likely have to go there and beat them.

2 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Calgary did lose to Montreal

Yes. Montreal is one of those teams Calgary struggles against, like we do with the Riders on Labor Day. Not sure what the record is but Montreal has been beating Calgary in Montreal lately, I believe. 

Calgary does NOT have that problem with us. Our record against them is dismal. 

1 hour ago, J5V said:

Wow! Sask and Edm win, us and BC lose. What a terrible weekend. We could not afford to lose to Hamilton at all. At least Ottawa helped us out a bit.

We haven't lost much this year but the losses we have had were real stinkers. Losing the LDC to the Riders always hurts. The loss to BC early in the season really stung. This loss to Hamilton has me scratching my head so much it hurts. If we win those games, and they were winnable,  just think where we'd be now. 

i didn't realize our record would be better if we won all our games. Thanks for filling us in. 

16 minutes ago, brett_c_b said:

i didn't realize our record would be better if we won all our games. Thanks for filling us in. 

Ha ha. Okay, okay. Point is we've lost our chance to host the WF. Let's hope we can at least host the WSF although getting the crossover spot might not be the worst thing that could happen. Might be the easier path to the GC.

4 hours ago, J5V said:

I was getting at the fact that we aren't going to host the WF now that we've added the Hamilton loss to the list. There was still a chance before that. A team like Calgary sees us lose a game like that and they stop worrying about us. Not good. They are bound and determined to get back to the GC and win it. Our best chance at beating them would have been to plant the seed of doubt and force them to come to IGF and beat us in our barn. Now we will likely have to go there and beat them.

Based on the 2001(?) bombers, I think the secret to beating an invincible team is letting them think they're invincible

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Based on the 2001(?) bombers, I think the secret to beating an invincible team is letting them think they're invincible

I used to think that but now I believe it's more important to just focus on how your playing and forget about the other guy. If we're playing well that will put a seed of doubt into the opponents mind. Play like we did on Friday and no one's going to fear us, nor should they.

Calgary is the most confident team right now and whoever is facing them knows they are the best team in the league. You can easily be beat psychologically before you ever step on the field against them. It would be advantageous to be playing great football and riding a streak of our own if we had to face them. Unfortunately that is not how things are going for us. We're not building momentum, building confidence, scoring lots of points while giving up fewer and fewer, etc. On offence we had it going for a while but we're too inconsistent. Our D has been hemorraging points every game. Sure we still have a good record but we're not playing well and when we do, we're not building off it. 

The "Stand-pat Sally" comment has some truth to it. For whatever reason we haven't been doing much in terms of trying to actively improve the talent on this team. I'm not saying we can't get very lucky and win it all but I would have liked to see a different sense of urgency regarding getting this team playoff-ready. Getting Ian Wild and Weston Dressler back isn't going to be enough and Wolitarsky didn't impress me like Thorpe did. Lankford hasn't been the answer and in fact, has been a liability. Harris has been limping and Flanders looks to have a hammy. Hurl is terrible and getting worse as he wears down and watching him get run over every game is getting old. Now Nichols is out. 

We're not likely to find any easy games at this point in the season. Everyone needs wins to secure their playoff spots or to try to get one. We've got Lions, Argos, Lions again and Calgary. By the time we get to play the Western Final I want to be on a 5-game winning streak and playing the best ball of our season. I think that gives us the best chance of beating the Stamps in Calgary. Do you see that happening? I don't and I'm concerned. We've had a good thing going here but I feel like the window of opportunity is closing and we're getting left behind.

11 hours ago, J5V said:

Ha ha. Okay, okay. Point is we've lost our chance to host the WF. Let's hope we can at least host the WSF although getting the crossover spot might not be the worst thing that could happen. Might be the easier path to the GC.

While I've had high expectations from this team this season, I think that might have been a bit of a reach.  If one of these days Calgary can tank bad enough, then maybe I'd say gotta be able to have that.

4 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

While I've had high expectations from this team this season, I think that might have been a bit of a reach.  If one of these days Calgary can tank bad enough, then maybe I'd say gotta be able to have that.

Agreed.  While it was (and still is I think?) mathematically possible, winning the West was going to take a lot of things going our way for the rest of the season.  We're still looking good for the WSF at this point, so that should be the goal.