Game 4 : @ Canucks

18 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Myers is a high end player.  He'll be fine.  And at his salary, he's really solid.

What we need to do, to ensure our D moving forward, is get Trouba to a long term contract.  He's our #1.  Everyone else works themselves out after that.

If Kulikov keeps playing like he did last game, it would make that signing a great one. He was a good D man before his injury.  Returning to form is what they expect so hopefully its happening.

Gonna be a real interesting off season for the Jets after this season.   Both Trouba and Morrissey are RFAs.   Won't be able to sign them both to long term deals and stay under the cap even with signing all the RFA forwards to reasonable short term deals.   I'm not convinced we can keep both  (even with Enstrom coming off the books).

The year after, Laine comes due.  Wheeler, Myers and Mason are up.  Take away $10M of their collective salary to sign Laine.    Assuming Mason is gone.   Poolman takes over for Myers.  Still going be tough to fit Wheeler in.    

27 minutes ago, Rich said:

Gonna be a real interesting off season for the Jets after this season.   Both Trouba and Morrissey are RFAs.   Won't be able to sign them both to long term deals and stay under the cap even with signing all the RFA forwards to reasonable short term deals.   I'm not convinced we can keep both  (even with Enstrom coming off the books).

The year after, Laine comes due.  Wheeler, Myers and Mason are up.  Take away $10M of their collective salary to sign Laine.    Assuming Mason is gone.   Poolman takes over for Myers.  Still going be tough to fit Wheeler in.    

I think next year they are ok.  year after gets interesting.

Morrissey wont be an issue as he's RFA even though he's good, he's not "Trouba Good".  He might get $2 million on a shorter deal.

Jets will have $22 million in cap space

UFA's: Matthias, Hendricks, Hutch, Toby

RFA's: Morrissey, Trouba, Lowry, Armia, Dano, Petan, Tanev, Poolman, Helle

Even if Trouba got $8 million, you have $16 Million left.  You can sign who you want, I think.

The following year you have Wheeler, Laine and Myers.  So you have to get a bit creative but you have Mason coming off the books.  Someone is probably going to have to be traded.  Buff will be into his Modified No Trade so moving him out (assuming you've signed Trouba long term) probably isnt a terrible idea at that point).

On 10/10/2017 at 10:40 AM, Goalie said:

I agree buff if healthy should be in. Myers looks like his legs arent there yet so id sit him. Good way to keep guys healthy. 

If in fact Buff was a healthy scratch, play him against the nucks and see how he reacts. If he  continually wanders away from the system bench him again even if we win.

Buff is my favorite player, however he needs to do less freelancing and taking shifts off while on the ice.  

And I agree with your observation about Myers after watching the game against the Oilers, he seemed off, rusty (for good reason) so once he gets back to where he can be our goalies will be appreciative.  I don't think I would sit him though, he needs game speed to get his legs back under him.

Just saw this from Ken Wiebe: 

HC Paul Maurice said Dustin Byfuglien won't play tomorrow vs #Canucks and remains day-to-day with a soft-tissue issue

Is soft-tissue issue just another way of saying  'play our system or you're benched'?

Edited by HardCoreBlue
Added a tweet from Ken Wiebe

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Is soft-tissue issue just another way of saying  'play our system or you're benched'?

let's Hope so.  About time too. A bit like benching Willy and putting in Nichols.

Not that Dustin gives the appearance of caring much. "gone fishin".

In restrospect, they might have been  better off keeping ladd, and letting buf go.

3 hours ago, Mark F said:

let's Hope so.  About time too. A bit like benching Willy and putting in Nichols.

In restrospect, they might have been  better off keeping ladd, and letting buf go.

No. Ladd is awful. Hes gone downhill so fast. Keeping Buff was the right move. This injury probably a slight groin or type of injury happened b4 the Calgary game. Buff is very good. I agree he needs to buy in and i think he does... I just think the problem is they overplay him so much. 

14 hours ago, Mark F said:

What trash!!  Buff is supposed to sit at home and stare at the wall because he's injured?  I can't believe fans are making such a big deal over this.  It was an off-day.  It's the height of immaturity from the fanbase to expect players to not be human.

As far as keeping Ladd.... the guy can barely skate anymore.  I've never seen such an awkward, labored stride in my life.

17 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

If in fact Buff was a healthy scratch, play him against the nucks and see how he reacts. If he  continually wanders away from the system bench him again even if we win.

Buff is my favorite player, however he needs to do less freelancing and taking shifts off while on the ice.  

And I agree with your observation about Myers after watching the game against the Oilers, he seemed off, rusty (for good reason) so once he gets back to where he can be our goalies will be appreciative.  I don't think I would sit him though, he needs game speed to get his legs back under him.

Just saw this from Ken Wiebe: 

HC Paul Maurice said Dustin Byfuglien won't play tomorrow vs #Canucks and remains day-to-day with a soft-tissue issue

No, I believe 100% that Buff has an "injury".  I also believe 100% that Maurice was not happy with Buff's play. 

11 hours ago, Goalie said:

No. Ladd is awful. Hes gone downhill so fast. Keeping Buff was the right move. This injury probably a slight groin or type of injury happened b4 the Calgary game. Buff is very good. I agree he needs to buy in and i think he does... I just think the problem is they overplay him so much. 

Isnt Buff's ice time down this season from years past?  Im not sure he's being over-played.  At $7.9 million, he's going to play a lot.

30 minutes ago, Atomic said:

What trash!!  Buff is supposed to sit at home and stare at the wall because he's injured?  I can't believe fans are making such a big deal over this.  It was an off-day.  It's the height of immaturity from the fanbase to expect players to not be human.

As far as keeping Ladd.... the guy can barely skate anymore.  I've never seen such an awkward, labored stride in my life.

There's just so many other worse things these guys could be doing......a more dangerous outdoor activity, partying, heck even the kids who probably just play video games for a whole day. 

It's fishing for pete's sake.  Relaxing, easy, risk free activity.  I have no problem with guys doing it on their days off, whether healthy or in Hendricks / Buff's case, unhealthy. 

Maurice wants to use a man in front on the power play and buff is literally the best guy in the league at this role - why he's not a forward on power play is baffling... then he gets big minutes and trouba/morrissey quarterback the pp units

and we never ever see Lowry with the most toi again...

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Maurice wants to use a man in front on the power play and buff is literally the best guy in the league at this role - why he's not a forward on power play is baffling... then he gets big minutes and trouba/morrissey quarterback the pp units

The Jets have enough forward depth and Byfuglien hasn't played up front consistently in years.

3 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

The Jets have enough forward depth and Byfuglien hasn't played up front consistently in years.

Yes, but I believe the point he's making is we wouldn't have to use Lowry there.  If Maurice is dead set on having a big body in front of the net, Buff would be a good option.  And he actually has good hands too.

The bigger issue is if you don't have Buff in front of the net on PP, you're making the whole unit worse.  His free wheelin' in from the blueline seems to rarely result in goals, more oft just gets ppl out of position and we give up the puck. Couple that with the Jets resistance to move Lowry off that #1 unit, and you've shot yourself twice in the foot. 

We don't need our D creating offense like Buff tries to.  We need them to keep the puck in the zone and keep the cycle going.  The more possession stays with Scheifs, Wheeler, Little etc the better. 

Edited by Jimmy Pop

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

If Buff was in front of net we would eliminate our best offensive defenseman from the point. 

35 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

If Buff was in front of net we would eliminate our best offensive defenseman from the point. 

Watched our PP when Buff's out there?  He's never on the point.  That's the problem.  When he is it's all slappers into shin pads.

I'd rather Trouba, Morrissey and Myers before Buff on the PP.  

41 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Watched our PP when Buff's out there?  He's never on the point.  That's the problem.  When he is it's all slappers into shin pads.

I'd rather Trouba, Morrissey and Myers before Buff on the PP.  

I'm a big trouba fan but I always think he's trying to force shots and is constantly rattling shots off defenders shin pads. Count me in as a guy that likes buff on the pp

Much ado about nothing. The flunkies at TSN1290, however, need something to whine about on their radio shows, which does nothing but fuel the fire.

Byfuglien is not 100% and that's why he didn't play on Monday and won't play tonight. Nothing more to it than that. What happened to common sense?

14 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Much ado about nothing. The flunkies at TSN1290, however, need something to whine about on their radio shows, which does nothing but fuel the fire.

Byfuglien is not 100% and that's why he didn't play on Monday and won't play tonight. Nothing more to it than that. What happened to common sense?

Sometimes people get scratched for sucking.  Thats common sense too. 

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

Not after two games in which the entire team mostly sucked. Speaking of common sense...

Oh well, hey we can just forget about discussing and go right to insults.  Like for example, your reading comprehension is poor.

Maurice himself said he was considering a change due to play.  As I stated previously, I think Buff was scratched because he is hurt.  I think that is clear.  But given his level of play in those games, there is relevancy to people discussing it.  You dont have to partake if it insults your "intelligence".

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Oh well, hey we can just forget about discussing and go right to insults.  Like for example, your reading comprehension is poor.

Maurice himself said he was considering a change due to play.  As I stated previously, I think Buff was scratched because he is hurt.  I think that is clear.  But given his level of play in those games, there is relevancy to people discussing it.  You dont have to partake if it insults your "intelligence".

Nobody insulted you, so there's no need to get defensive, much less take unwarranted retaliation shots at someone who doesn't agree with you. Good grief, man.

I merely pointed out how the entire team played poorly more often than not in their two losses, so one player being punished doesn't seem reasonable. Benching a top player due to poor play after a mere two games is absurd, unless more players were also benched for the same reason. Even then, it's silly because it was two games and there will be wrinkles to iron out early on in a season. I don't buy into the rumour being spread  by unqualified radio personalities or fans on social media because there's virtually no substance to any of it. So, I fail to see the relevancy.

And feel free to ignore my comments if they hurt your delicate sensitivities that much. You're the one who quoted me, anyway. :mellow:

We can't even agree what the actual controversy is!! :lol:

Here is the only place I've seen anyone bring up what Maurice actually said.  That one quote that no one can produce.   That's what got us off on the wrong foot yesterday.

What the radio folks have been bantering about is whether this is 100% injury related, or if it's moreso using the injury as part of a helpful coverup for the healthy scratch.  Meaning, yeah he's nicked, but you betcha they wanted Poolman in to shake things up vs Edm.   That's a much more nuanced conversation than we've been on about here, frankly.