Game 4 : @ Canucks

$_20.JPG

Game Time : Chicken Thursday 9, TSN3

Game Streak : 1W

Maurice Watch : 7 more losses and Paul sets the NHL record for most losses by a coach.

Local Celebrity Quote of the Day : I'm not a hockey fan, which is probably why I had to leave Canada in the first place. Ryan Reynolds

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Im very intrigued by what they do with Buff.  Maurice had indicated before the Oilers game that if Poolman played it was due to someone being scratched for "health and poor play".  So he's essentially called Buff out now.

If Buff is healthy, does he get back in?  Do they use the "injury" as an excuse to keep him scratched a bit longer?

Big Show guys were arguing about this and, I think Toth, said "So Poolman is Buff's replacement?: (said it sort of incredulously).  My response would be, no, Trouba is Buff's replacement and Poolman comes in at 3RHD and the D is more balanced.

Didnt Poolman play with Kulikov who also had his best game as a Jet?  So Poolman plays a sound game and makes his partner better.  How do you sit him down?  I know veterans dont lose their spot due to injury but...

49 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Didnt Poolman play with Kulikov who also had his best game as a Jet?

Pretty sure Poolman played with Toby.

So Poolman plays a sound game and makes his partner better.

Woah!  One game.  Pump the brakes.

I know veterans dont lose their spot due to injury but...

That's a fan/media thing.  You'll never hear a coach say that.

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Pretty sure Poolman played with Toby.

Woah!  One game.  Pump the brakes.

That's a fan/media thing.  You'll never hear a coach say that.

Coach doesnt say that.  Coach just does that.

Regarding making his partners better, the point being a responsible, even conservative D-man playing his role makes it easier for everyone else to play theirs than a roving, unpredictable, often-lazy D man.  That forces people to have to cover and guess.

Im not burying Buff.  Just making an observation.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Yes, both Fleury and the other guy were hurt.  Fleury became healthy and played again.  But Murray was better.  He earned the job on equal footing.

But sure, thats one example sort of. 

Of course it doesn't happen that often because the rookie is rarely better than the vet (even if the fans always insist otherwise).  But it does happen.

"Murray was better.  He earned the job on equal footing.".... wtf... this is exactly what we're talking about.  The rookie was better than the vet and won the job while Fleury was injured.  Fleury got what... one game once he was healthy?

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im very intrigued by what they do with Buff.  Maurice had indicated before the Oilers game that if Poolman played it was due to someone being scratched for "health and poor play".  So he's essentially called Buff out now.

Then Myers needs to sit for health reasons.

Just now, Atomic said:

Of course it doesn't happen that often because the rookie is rarely better than the vet (even if the fans always insist otherwise).  But it does happen.

"Murray was better.  He earned the job on equal footing.".... wtf... this is exactly what we're talking about.  The rookie was better than the vet and won the job while Fleury was injured.  Fleury got what... one game once he was healthy?

Yes and wasnt very good if I recall.  What I stated was a veteran not getting back in because the rookie was better.  Oh, and Ill add a "WTF" just to sound more determined.  lol   My point (in case you mised it) was us talking about Buff and, would he go back in when healthy even if Poolman plays well.

16 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yes and wasnt very good if I recall.  What I stated was a veteran not getting back in because the rookie was better.  Oh, and Ill add a "WTF" just to sound more determined.  lol   My point (in case you mised it) was us talking about Buff and, would he go back in when healthy even if Poolman plays well.

If Poolman is actually better than Buff, he would stay in, I have no doubt about that.  But that conversation can't even happen yet because he has played one game and while it was very encouraging, he still just played a safe, average-level game.  It's nice that he didn't get lit up.  But Buff has years of all-star level play on his resume.  It takes a lot more than a decent game with 15 minutes TOI to knock a guy like that out of the lineup.

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

I agree buff if healthy should be in. Myers looks like his legs arent there yet so id sit him. Good way to keep guys healthy. 

Then by that logic he shouldn't sit but keep playing while he gets "his legs" back albeit under less and protected minutes.  I'd say Myers has been alright just needs to get back into it since he's missed so much time this past year.  He's certainly looked better than Buff, Enstrom, and (Game 1) Trouba so far.  He's only going to get better, assuming he stays healthy. 

and for once I can say that I went a whole game without saying "Oh crap Toby what the hell are you doing?"  For once I couldn't really fault the Jets D all game, other than that goal by the Nuge.  Not sure who he beat on that one but he went through two of our D men like a hot knife through apple butter.  Ok - watched the highlight, it was Myers and Laine. 

Edited by kelownabomberfan

21 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Did you see the play where he gave it away in his own end and on the same play hit one of his own guys?

...For the most part..........is the key to my post. Even Shea Weber and Duncan Keith  have rough moments. If Myers isn't the best Jets D, he's one of 'em (...along with Trouba...)

Myers hasnt been great. Its pretty obvious he needs time to get his legs back. Not sure why anyone is surprised by this... He was basically out for a full year... I liked poolman last night cuz to me D means being able to play D actually. Poolman and Morrissey were both very good. Trouba was also... 

If im ranking them on last nights game.. 

Morrissey Trouba Poolman ( all 3 were to close to call) Kulikov (best game in years) Myers (little bit slow still)  Enstrom (hes lost a step or 2 ) 

Edited by Goalie

14 hours ago, Goalie said:

Myers hasnt been great. Its pretty obvious he needs time to get his legs back. Not sure why anyone is surprised by this... He was basically out for a full year... I liked poolman last night cuz to me D means being able to play D actually. Poolman and Morrissey were both very good. Trouba was also... 

If im ranking them on last nights game.. 

Morrissey Trouba Poolman ( all 3 were to close to call) Kulikov (best game in years) Myers (little bit slow still)  Enstrom (hes lost a step or 2 ) 

he hasn't been great but he has looked good in spurts.  People need to give him some time to come back into his own.  Hes skating hard, he has an active stick and doesn't look pensive or worried about hurting himself.   I expect he will regain form.

I don't think hes looked poor really beyond the few moments, one being what frosty had mentioned.

Myers is a high end player.  He'll be fine.  And at his salary, he's really solid.

What we need to do, to ensure our D moving forward, is get Trouba to a long term contract.  He's our #1.  Everyone else works themselves out after that.

If Kulikov keeps playing like he did last game, it would make that signing a great one. He was a good D man before his injury.  Returning to form is what they expect so hopefully its happening.