3 stars + HH bc sucks edition

wbbfan

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Poop was an absolute monster yesterday, it didn't matter if he was doubled teamed he continued to fight on through.

I heard an American talking about this the other day, maybe Tony Dungee, who said that pass rush from straight up the middle is most effective, cause the QB can't step up into the pocket like he can with an edge rush. 

Edited by Mark F

The refs should immediately blow the whistle every time any players helmet comes off for safety reasons. Mark the ball where ever it is when the helmet comes off. I mean every time, not just the ball carrier. Some guys like Harris are constantly losing their helmets. They'd tighten them down if the play was being stopped.

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The refs should immediately blow the whistle every time any players helmet comes off for safety reasons. Mark the ball where ever it is when the helmet comes off. I mean every time, not just the ball carrier. Some guys like Harris are constantly losing their helmets. They'd tighten them down if the play was being stopped.

It's a safety issue, obviously Harris likes to wear his helmet loose.  A few years back you never saw players losing their helmets, now it happens every game.  Personally I think the player that loses his helmet should be penalized for not tightening it properly.

59 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Football helmets are not pop-on pop-off. Harris's helmet is ridiculously loose, and the team management shouldn't allow that. It's designed to fit snugly over the head, and there's supposed to be a chin strap!! If Harris has one, he's not using it.

16 hours ago, tracker said:

The BC game plan was obviously to take Harris out of the Bomber game plan and they mostly did that. We were fortunate to win after losing Adams, Leggett and Walker. I wasn't sure that Nichols would finish the game after that hit to his back.

His back was bad by the end of the game. He couldn't run properly, I'm betting Nichols is on the trainer's table right now, and not leaving any time soon.

18 minutes ago, ddanger said:

His back was bad by the end of the game. He couldn't run properly, I'm betting Nichols is on the trainer's table right now, and not leaving any time soon.

I thought immediately "he's gonna be in Thermea all week, multiple times per day..." 

5 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I noticed Jennings pointing fingers  at receivers after failed plays yesterday, too. Arceneaux chose, for whatever reason, to get cocky going into this season and it's blown up his face.

The Lions are in utter disarray and quite frankly, it looks good on them. To many me, me, me players on that team.

Many of the Lions have given up on the season and their team. That Wally is gonzo at the end of the season makes him pretty much toothless and the players who ought not to be there are behaving like it. The players who are worth keeping will be playing for pride.

good effort by Santos Knox on Heath touchdown, blocking Jennings who was in position to tackle heath.  (CFL.ca has the play)

manny had no chance to catch Heath, Heath was long gone the other way, full speed. I think Heath suckered jennings into thinking manny was open.

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/10/14/heath-heads-the-other-way-for-game-sealing-pick-six/

Edited by Mark F

23 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

It's the CFL.  We can't have nice things.

As soon as that's a rule, Jones and Maas will have defensive players designated to "lose" their helmets on each play.

56 minutes ago, Mark F said:

good effort by Santos Knox on Heath touchdown, blocking Jennings who was in position to tackle heath.  (CFL.ca has the play)

manny had no chance to catch Heath, Heath was long gone the other way, full speed. I think Heath suckered jennings into thinking manny was open.

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/10/14/heath-heads-the-other-way-for-game-sealing-pick-six/

It looked to me like Heath also had the presence of mind to slow down just a bit to allow a blocker to get in Jennings' way... he was close enough to the sideline that Jennings could've easily knocked him out of bounds...

Cactus+Jack+Wallpaper+1.jpg

Well friends, the old observer was a little tied up this weekend, but I was eventually able to catch up on my beloved Bombers thanks to the modern miracle of tape delay, and who were in position with a win today against the British Columbia Lions to nail down a playoff spot and advance to the post-season dance. And even a visit from Mother Nature this morning, who reminded us all here in Winnipeg that the snowy season is not far off, could deter the Blue Bombers from their own appointed rounds, and that is of course landing a spot in the CFL playoff round. And it was a convincing victory, dominated by the defence from start to finish, or almost the finish, with those two late scores which ultimately proved to be of no importance, at least on the final scoreboard.

Now normally I would start the Happy Honker Award, which as you all well know goes to that player who did that something a little extra special in the game,  with a review of some of the dominant players, and some big plays that I noticed but were not necessarily happy Honker worthy, before revealing the true winner of this week's honour, but not this week. This week I am going to get right down to it, because there is one play and one player that is so obvious to me, that it need not be delayed and considered amongst other plays and players.  In fact, the moment this particular play unfolded, I said to myself, "Self, that there is the Happy Honker Award, and nothing, not a triple reverse flea-flicker, not a one-handed interception return the length of the field, not even the return of Bernard Ruoff to kick a 65 yard field goal to win the game, will convince me otherwise". And the reason I can be so certain of this is because I have been waiting to bestow this particular Happy Honker Award since last summer, July 14, 2016 to be specific, when our boys played host to the Edmonton Eskimos. But cruel fate intervened that day and I could not, so I waited, and then on August 3rd of that same year, I once again was ready to anoint the Happy Honker recipient when the Hamilton Tiger Cats came to town, but once again the football Gods decreed that it must not be so, and so patiently I bided my time, and deferred yet a third time on September 10th when the Saskatchewan Roughriders graced us with their presence in our annual banjo bowl contest, and yet again on September 30th of that same year, when it was once again the Eskimos in opposition colours, to the point that I was wondering if this poor soul would ever get the chance. But I vowed that when the moment finally came, and I was convinced deep down in my soul that it would, that I would fulfill my promise and automatically and graciously, and gratefully, for that matter, crown the winner with the Happy Honker Award.

By now you must all know that I am referring of course to Blue Bomber defensive back and punt returner Kevin Fogg, who had to put up with the indignity and burden of having not one, not two, not three, but four separate punt return touchdowns, each and every one of them here at Investor's Group Field last season, called back on account of penalties taken by his teammates. So here we were today, when he once again fielded a punt at his 22 yard line, cut sideways before deking out his pursuers with a stutter step, and then raced to the sidelines before turning the corner and outrunning everyone to the orange pylons in the end zone some 88 yards later, and I like everyone else I am sure was scouring the field of play to make sure that no official had littered it with their laundry, and they had not, and so we all rejoiced.

So for his great return, and more so for his perseverance in the face of that cloud of four prior called back touchdowns dogging him, I award this week's Happy Honker to Kevin Fogg.

Edited by TrueBlue4ever