Kaepernick filing grievance against owners for collusion

Rich

http://www.tsn.ca/reports-kaepernick-filing-grievance-against-owners-for-collusion-1.885371

Aaron Katersky of ABC News acquired Kaepernick's court filing suggesting that, "based on [Kaepernick's[ exceptional career performance, his age, and all other objective metrics, Mr. Kaepernick was an ideal candidate—and, in fact, the best-qualified candidate—to fill the vacant starting quarterback positions on many NFL teams, or at the very least, the numerous vacant backup positions.

The filing goes on to suggest that NFL teams, "exhibited unusual and bizarre behaviour regarding Mr. Kaepernick's prospective employment. Multiple NFL head coaches and general managers stated that they wanted to sign Mr. Kaepernick, only to mysteriously go silent with no explanation and no contract offer made to Mr. Kaepernick."

He opted out of his contract no team is obliged to sign him a guy who had a couple of good years and regressed when teams figured out how to defense his read option still, guy can hardly hit an open receiver, yes he used his celebrity to bring the spotlight on himself, some would say self serving and in all probability has prevented a team wanting that type of distraction on their team but that can never be proven .

Based on everything we know & now the grievance against the NFL, would you sign him if you were a GM? There would be a lot of upset fans of that team & he'd divide the locker room. Hate to say this, but he brought this on himself by becoming political. He was a borderline starter at the time.  Doing what he did has killed his career. 

36 minutes ago, bustamente said:

He opted out of his contract no team is obliged to sign him a guy who had a couple of good years and regressed when teams figured out how to defense his read option still, guy can hardly hit an open receiver, yes he used his celebrity to bring the spotlight on himself, some would say self serving and in all probability has prevented a team wanting that type of distraction on their team but that can never be proven .

Did he regress last season...? I don't know about that. He put up some pretty decent numbers on a complete tire fire of a team.

He's been blacklisted for what he started (KneelGate), not because he's unskilled or regressed.

46 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Did he regress last season...? I don't know about that. He put up some pretty decent numbers on a complete tire fire of a team.

He's been blacklisted for what he started (KneelGate), not because he's unskilled or regressed.

He had to freedom to voice his opinions and the owners have the right to not sign him, called it what you will but he was a zone read qb just like another qb who had a couple of good years of stats RGIII and they are both out of football.

There's no question he's better than a lot of other qbs currently in the league, including a few starters. Like others have said, no gm wants to risk bringing a distraction to their team.  I don't recall reading anywhere that he divided the room in SF, but I mean the distraction of having to answer questions about it, some angry sponsors, some angry fans, etc.

If NFL GMs are afraid to sign him due to negative reaction is that collusion? Be hard to prove unless there are smoking guns somewhere like emails & texts. I have no problem with him kneeling but he started it listening to a former Marine when he probably shouldn't have telling him to do it so whatever the consequences it had on his career, it's on Kaepernick. had he done it for one or 2 games he would have made his point.  He should have concentrated on playing football but he chose not to. He's made his millions so it's hard to feel sorry for him. It's not like he's on the street homeless. He's an unemployed multi millionaire.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

There's no question he's better than a lot of other qbs currently in the league, including a few starters. Like others have said, no gm wants to risk bringing a distraction to their team.  I don't recall reading anywhere that he divided the room in SF, but I mean the distraction of having to answer questions about it, some angry sponsors, some angry fans, etc.

Lots of angry fans. Say the Packers sign him & the GM & Mike McCarthy ask him not to kneel & he refuses. There goes the locker room for the head coach & mgmt. Then if he stands, he's sold out.  If he kneels he's a traitor. No one wins. That's why he isn't signed. 

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If NFL GMs are afraid to sign him due to negative reaction is that collusion? Be hard to prove unless there are smoking guns somewhere like emails & texts. I have no problem with him kneeling but he started it listening to a former Marine when he probably shouldn't have telling him to do it so whatever the consequences it had on his career, it's on Kaepernick. had he done it for one or 2 games he would have made his point.  He should have concentrated on playing football but he chose not to. He's made his millions so it's hard to feel sorry for him. It's not like he's on the street homeless. He's an unemployed multi millionaire.

His actions have started a movement for awareness that has transcended football and into all sports and mainstream news.  Not everything is always about money.  He did what he did to bring awareness to a cause he believed in.  Doing it for 2 games would not have the same effect.

Other people picked up his cause only when he got black listed.  Sometimes you have to sacrifice for what you believe in

Job well done, I'd say.

While I doubt he will win, I hope he buries the NFL in his lawsuit.  The hypocrisy of giving woman and child abusers a second and third chance, but you can't have someone executing a peaceful protest....

14 minutes ago, Rich said:

His actions have started a movement for awareness that has transcended football and into all sports and mainstream news.  Not everything is always about money.  He did what he did to bring awareness to a cause he believed in.  Doing it for 2 games would not have the same effect.

Other people picked up his cause only when he got black listed.  Sometimes you have to sacrifice for what you believe in

Job well done, I'd say.

While I doubt he will win, I hope he buries the NFL in his lawsuit.  The hypocrisy of giving woman and child abusers a second and third chance, but you can't have someone executing a peaceful protest....

Filing a grievance means Kaepernick still wants to play. Like I said, I don't disagree with him protesting but his actions brought everything upon himself. I have a feeling if he could do it over he probably wouldn't now. He has to be prepared to suffer the consequences of that decision. It'll cost him his career. I have every right to  protest at work over something I don't like until they fire me. It'll cost me my career especially if my former employer refuses to give me a positive job reference. Is it collusion if I can't get a job in the same industry if my former employer says I'm a trouble maker at work or my job performance was inadequate? How is this different? 

14 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Filing a grievance means Kaepernick still wants to play.

Disagree.  This pretty much puts a nail in the coffin of his career.  Now he just wants to write the final chapter and have his day in court.

I have a feeling if he could do it over he probably wouldn't now.

I doubt it.   From everything thing I've seen and read, this is a topic he felt passionately about, and decided to take a stand, I'm betting with eyes wide open.

He has to be prepared to suffer the consequences of that decision. It'll cost him his career. I have every right to  protest at work over something I don't like until they fire me. It'll cost me my career especially if my former employer refuses to give me a positive job reference.

His career is done.  And like I said, not everything in life is about money.  He made a stand for something he passionately believes in.  I have a lot of respect for that.  History is full of people who sacrificed where if they didn't, progress wouldn't be made.  Life isn't always about coasting through the path of least resistance.

Is it collusion if I can't get a job in the same industry if my former employer says I'm a trouble maker at work or my job performance was inadequate? How is this different? 

It will be near impossible to prove, but yes I believe this is collusion.  Especially for a league who gives second chances to wife beaters, drug addicts, and criminals.  Who is the real trouble maker?

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Disagree.  This pretty much puts a nail in the coffin of his career.  Now he just wants to write the final chapter and have his day in court.

I doubt it.   From everything thing I've seen and read, this is a topic he felt passionately about, and decided to take a stand, I'm betting with eyes wide open.

His career is done.  And like I said, not everything in life is about money.  He made a stand for something he passionately believes in.  I have a lot of respect for that.  History is full of people who sacrificed where if they didn't, progress wouldn't be made.  Life isn't always about coasting through the path of least resistance.

It will be near impossible to prove, but yes I believe this is collusion.  Especially for a league who gives second chances to wife beaters, drug addicts, and criminals.  Who is the real trouble maker?

Well, it happened to me in 1992. I was an insurance adjuster for a huge company in Calgary. Matter of fact that is why I moved to Calgary from Winnipeg to work for this company. Unfortunately, I went from a great supervisor in Winnipeg who was like a mentor to me to an absolute witch as a supervisor in Calgary. I had a personality conflict with my supervisor that went on for almost 3 years.  I'll never forget I went on holidays for 2 weeks my last year with that company & when I came back she didn't talk to me for an entire day & a half only to say hello once & we all worked in groups. She just froze me out. It became unbearable to work there in the end.

During my last performance review which wasn't good,  I told her the problem had a lot to do with how she treated me & the stress I was under dealing with it. She got angry & said the review was about me & not her & I disagreed strongly. I was fired 2 months later & even though I had years of experience as an auto, property & independent adjuster I couldn't get another job in Calgary.  I sent out tons of resumes over the next year & a half, had a lot of interviews.  I became so desperate in the end that I warned potential employees about what happened at my previous company with my supervisor as I wanted to be upfront about it. Didn't do any good as I was always second choice. I knew that it was my former employer bad mouthing me but there was nothing I could do. It was blatantly unfair but I couldn't do a thing about it.  I spoke to a lawyer  about it & if I launched legal action it would mean spending money I didn't have at the time. Cost me my career so I sympathize with Kaepernick but it doesn't change my opinion that he brought all this on himself. Yes, I considered it collusion as well. 

5 hours ago, bustamente said:

He had to freedom to voice his opinions and the owners have the right to not sign him, called it what you will but he was a zone read qb just like another qb who had a couple of good years of stats RGIII and they are both out of football.

RGIII's issue is he couldn't stay healthy. Not an apples to apples comparison.

Let me be clear, I'm not siding with either Kaepernick or the NFL owners. I'm just saying he's still a QB capable of playing in the NFL.

7 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

RGIII's issue is he couldn't stay healthy. Not an apples to apples comparison.

Let me be clear, I'm not siding with either Kaepernick or the NFL owners. I'm just saying he's still a QB capable of playing in the NFL.

There's a team in Wisconsin, he was born in Milwaukee, that has a community owned team that recently lost their qb and now probably wont make the playoffs, they should give him a call.