Bombers @ Argos: Dressler Return? + Lapo Must Call Deep Balls To Non-Lankfords Edition

USABomberfan

Well, maybe we can get a little help from whoever plays Edmonton this weekend to lock up that home field for the WSF so that regardless of what happens this week we got a little time to get healthy and prepared for the playoffs.  But I still say we can't go on complete auto pilot cuz we gotta figure out how to stretch defenses and get em off of Harris.

Dressler coming back would be a start.  But no more running the jet sweep with him and no he isn't washed up.  Enough of that talk.

Also, anyone know if Wilder is back for the Argos?

Candidate for longest title for a thread start?

I don’t see why Lankford is singled out for non-deep throws when Nichols has thrown many deep balls to Feoli-Gudino and has not connected once on them. And I’m a Feoli-Gudino fan...

I don’t see Lankford as a proven receiver so far, but at least he caught 3 passes the other night and made an absolutely great catch on the sideline that ended out of bounds. Between he, and Washington, 7 catches in the game, and that’s  progress.

Edited by Mr Dee

Really need Dressler back this week, our WR situation is terrible right now. Cant have JFG, Coates, and Lankford all starting. Washington is meh, makes some dumb decisions after the catch sometimes. Would like to see one of the more recent WR signings like Givens take some snaps.  Hope Darvin is ok...

Washington caught the ball on one play....looked confused after that and couldn't figure out where to go, so he went directly to the turf...Looked like he was scared of getting hit and is a little light looking to me...We need someone in there that doesn't look shell shocked...I know Leos were putting a lot extra on their hits and maybe Washington was scared to cough up the rock BUT this is a tough game and you can't hold back...Show us what you got on every play or you'll be shown the door...IF Givens is ready I wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot either against the Argos or the return Leo game...We need to get something going in the receiver dept. and quick

6 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

There was one deep ball to Washington that was caught by the defender out of bounds and Washington made absolutely no attempt to try to catch the ball or prevent the defender from catching it. It didn't result in an interception but the effort was pathetic. 

or

He was along the sidelines and tried to stay inbounds to make the catch, which was not possible, what with the ball being 3 yards out of bounds.

Which also made it impossible to intercept.

While WR is a bit shaky right now the fact that they didn't go long very much wasn't the problem. The problem is for two games now the opposition has shut the run down so that has pretty much eliminated the deep ball threat and limited the medium routes. They have to find a short game of some sort, either draws and screens to slow the rush down and find a way to produce open receivers in the medium routes (preferably in the middle of the field) . You gotta make them honest on the defensive line and pull the half backs and safety up and into the middle then you can go over top of them. To that end it would be beneficial if Flanders and Dressler were back this week.  There were a number of potential big runs available on delayed draws in the BC game. One in the first half would have produced a touchdown. There was noone in the middle of the field and a massive lane opened up on the o-line.

5 minutes ago, Dragon37 said:

While WR is a bit shaky right now the fact that they didn't go long very much wasn't the problem. The problem is for two games now the opposition has shut the run down so that has pretty much eliminated the deep ball threat and limited the medium routes. They have to find a short game of some sort, either draws and screens to slow the rush down and find a way to produce open receivers in the medium routes (preferably in the middle of the field) . You gotta make them honest on the defensive line and pull the half backs and safety up and into the middle then you can go over top of them. To that end it would be beneficial if Flanders and Dressler were back this week.  There were a number of potential big runs available on delayed draws in the BC game. One in the first half would have produced a touchdown. There was noone in the middle of the field and a massive lane opened up on the o-line.

The problem is you can't do that too well if the DBs are coming up to the line and not giving Harris or whoever any room to setup those screens.   Lapo has to call more deep balls to keep them honest and away from that play.  In other words, yes the short passes are our bread and butter and they should be, but if you don't add in the long balls to get them off of you, they'll keep getting stuffed.

And yeah, Washington didn't show too well on that deep ball.  I'm wanting to see if Givens offers any ability to fight off defenders on contested catches cuz we're going to have to make some of those to be good in playoff time.

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Candidate for longest title for a thread start?

I don’t see why Lankford is singled out for non-deep throws when Nichols has thrown many deep balls to Feoli-Gudino and has not connected once on them. And I’m a Feoli-Gudino fan...

I don’t see Lankford as a proven receiver so far, but at least he caught 3 passes the other night and made an absolutely great catch on the sideline that ended out of bounds. Between he, and Washington, 7 catches in the game, and that’s  progress.

I'm not sure deep ball is Feoli-Gudino's strength as he seems to excel better catching out routes and then barreling through defenders.  But Lankford's route running (and Washington's somewhat) has been predictable and the opposing safeties seem to know where he's going on deep balls.  Haven't seen him shake his defender yet.

54 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Washington caught the ball on one play....looked confused after that and couldn't figure out where to go, so he went directly to the turf...Looked like he was scared of getting hit and is a little light looking to me...We need someone in there that doesn't look shell shocked...I know Leos were putting a lot extra on their hits and maybe Washington was scared to cough up the rock BUT this is a tough game and you can't hold back...Show us what you got on every play or you'll be shown the door...IF Givens is ready I wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot either against the Argos or the return Leo game...We need to get something going in the receiver dept. and quick

Well, I know we all like to criticize receivers who do that, but I'm sure plenty of opposing receivers have done so when Loffler came flying at them.

2 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

If Nichols targeted Lankford as much as you do, he’d have 10 receptions every game..?

And no, they don’t have to be deep throws..

The whole spew about deep balls is to keep defenders from coming up to the line to tee off on Harris coming out of the backfield.  He's our workhorse but if I'm an opposing LB or DB and I see Harris coming out of there, I'm thinking 80% chance he's getting the ball thrown to him because Bombers aren't throwing deep.

I don't feel it's fair to criticize receivers for hitting the turf or taking it out of bounds after a catch. If they need some extra yards for a 1st down, then yes, but receivers need to be smart with the ball (avoiding a turnover) and keeping the contact to what is necessary. Milt made a career out of playing this way and has addressed this on the panel a number of times.

2 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

To that end it would be beneficial if Flanders and Dressler were back this week.  

I don't know what his injury is but Flanders is on the 6-game... my guess is if he is ready they'll pull him off for playoffs... but who knows, he could be done for the season already...

57 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I don't know what his injury is but Flanders is on the 6-game... my guess is if he is ready they'll pull him off for playoffs... but who knows, he could be done for the season already...

First time I can ever remember that they haven't had a RB on the PR or a Natl. backup ready to go in case of injury to the starting or secondary RB.   When Thorpe left they needed to bring someone else in to fill his space.

4 hours ago, Stickem said:

The shorthand for that is "he Ralphed"

10 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

First time I can ever remember that they haven't had a RB on the PR or a Natl. backup ready to go in case of injury to the starting or secondary RB.   When Thorpe left they needed to bring someone else in to fill his space.

I'll say it again - I hope Thorpe did something drastic to get cut...  sure could use him right now

5 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Normand is the National backup. Went 8 carries for 58 yards the only time he's been called on for an extended amount of game time.

Receivers have been signed to the practice roster since Thorpe left.

27 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I'll say it again - I hope Thorpe did something drastic to get cut...  sure could use him right now

He was being de-activated again, allegedly down to the PR. He asked for his out right release. Felt his play had entitled him to a spot. 

27 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Normand is the National backup. Went 8 carries for 58 yards the only time he's been called on for an extended amount of game time.

Receivers have been signed to the practice roster since Thorpe left.

This. Normand isnt fast but he is big and bruising. Shown some pretty good hops now and then too.  John rush also converted to FB, mike miller rosters as a fb as well.  Those are the guys we would see in a pinch. If flanders is out next week id actually like to see the flanker set with harris and normand. Would be phenomenal for pass pro. Normand seems to struggle catching the ball though. 

41 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

At one point due to turf toe to charlie roberts we had mike sellers start at RB, only other back up we had was wade miller and maybe brad yamoka. Though im not sure on yamoka. Neither of them are more able (even in their generation) then miller, normand or rush. 

We also went to keith stokes to start at RB for i think 2 games.  We had a stint where all our backs went down hurt as well. Yves?, fred,  and volny. Come to think of it we where very thin for a good while with guys like paris cotton, will ford, chad simpson, chris garrett etc. 

Wonder what kendall roberson and lache seastrunk are up to now? Both looked pretty strong in camp.  If flanders is out for any period of time I wouldnt hesitate to grab one of them. They should have some idea of our system and coaches as well.