Bombers @ Argos: Dressler Return? + Lapo Must Call Deep Balls To Non-Lankfords Edition

USABomberfan

54 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I'll say it again - I hope Thorpe did something drastic to get cut...  sure could use him right now

I don't know what, exactly, he did. No one seems to although there is lots of speculation. It sure hasn't stopped people from dumping on the guy though. Maybe one day his unforgivable sin will come out but for now, all I see is that he wanted to play and couldn't get off the PR, so he packed it in.

I can certainly understand that. I don't think people realize what these guys sacrifice to play football. Away from friends and family for months on end and sometimes not for a lot of money (CFL).

Guy is a great athlete, played in the NFL for a time, had some injury problems, gave the CFL a try but couldn't get a team (us) to commit to him. He seems to be a hell of a nice guy with a lot of support from his lovely wife and all his friends from his NFL and college days. Has some really nice posts on his twitter account and seems to have his priorities in order and realizes that there is life beyond football. He doesn't take to dissing anybody like some of the morons in this league and just seems to be getting on with his life. I wish him nothing but the best.

I'd sure like to see Normand being used a bit more. Especially as it gets colder and we could use a hammer to nail some opposition linebackers. Who knows, maybe if he shows something other teams will have to respect the chance he could run when on the field in the playoffs. Plus Harris getting hit less in these last games which aren't crucial would be good.

I think its time to try a few different weapons out, alter the playbook a touch so teams won't know what's coming for the playoffs.

28 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Forget Thorpe, he didn't want to bide his time and bailed, old news. Washington wasn't horrible, in fact I thought he did just fine so let's hold off on the panic for now. 

There's a recipe for success. Forget the good players and go for the one's that aren't "horrible".

hyperventilating.gif

Edited by J5V

27 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Yeah. He quit. 

Yeah. He quit ... the ... Practice Roster. Unforgivable sin, because he packed it in from the ... practice roster ...

Edited by J5V
spelling

Why are you still harping on Thorpe. It’s been explained every which way but loose. 

HE ASKED FOR HIS RELEASE. 

Yes, he was on the practice roster, where nearly every new player has to bide his time.

Why is he any different? What makes him special?

Nothing.

Guess what? He would not be on any other team unless he went though their practice roster. And nobody’s asked...

Why do we keep talking about someone who is gone?  Get over it and move on to people who want to be here.  This team is playing like they are all focused on the same goal. 

BC has incredible talent at the receiver position.  Four weeks from now, our less talented group are going to be catching more passes on the IGF turf than theirs will be on their couches. 

5 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

I don't feel it's fair to criticize receivers for hitting the turf or taking it out of bounds after a catch. If they need some extra yards for a 1st down, then yes, but receivers need to be smart with the ball (avoiding a turnover) and keeping the contact to what is necessary. Milt made a career out of playing this way and has addressed this on the panel a number of times.

Obligatory mention that fighting for extra yards unnecessarily also opens up receivers to more fumbles, as defenders try to rip the ball out. Exhibit A: T.J. Harris.

15 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Why are you still harping on Thorpe. It’s been explained every which way but loose. 

Yes, he was on the practice roster, where nearly every new player has to bide his time.

Nothing.

Guess what? He would not be on any other team unless he went though their practice roster. And nobody’s asked...

I didn't bring him up, another poster did. I responded as did several others, INCLUDING YOU.

Guess what? Relax. Continue to speculate about other teams' interest in the man. I'm betting you have no idea whether or not another team has inquired of him and frankly, I couldn't care less. I only care that he could have been playing here. Shame that he isn't. 

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Would be nice to just let bygones be bygones...  our receiving core is the worst in the league right now.

Nah not the worst. Still better then montreal, Healthy to healthy better then a few other teams too. Cant say atm with injures how good it is or isnt, we dont know who is in or out for how long.  Not long ago this wr core was called down and derided for not having any elite wr or wr who could stretch the field. That all went away pretty quick though didnt it. We also dont know exactly what we have in a bunch of guys that will probably be forced into action.

Its not a bad wr core, its a banged up wr core. Do we need upgrades? sure. Our LB core is in more trouble then our wr core. And our rb depth too. We are on the fringe of locking up a home play off game with a couple weeks to spare. Its not panic time.  

1 hour ago, WildPath said:

I'd sure like to see Normand being used a bit more. Especially as it gets colder and we could use a hammer to nail some opposition linebackers. Who knows, maybe if he shows something other teams will have to respect the chance he could run when on the field in the playoffs. Plus Harris getting hit less in these last games which aren't crucial would be good.

I think its time to try a few different weapons out, alter the playbook a touch so teams won't know what's coming for the playoffs.

More than 2 touches a season would be nice for the FB but they will probably use Normand extensively in the last game against CGY to pump us up for next season!

1 hour ago, J5V said:

I didn't bring him up, another poster did. I responded as did several others, INCLUDING YOU.

Guess what? Relax. Continue to speculate about other teams' interest in the man. I'm betting you have no idea whether or not another team has inquired of him and frankly, I couldn't care less. I only care that he could have been playing here. Shame that he isn't. 

You're the one who continues to beat the same dead horse about how O'Shea short-changed him (a ridiculous narrative, to be sure). Thorpe requested his release and it was granted. He could've been playing here the last two weeks but he isn't and that's on him - and only him.

And the fact he hasn't been picked up by another team is pretty telling, wouldn't you agree? Choices have consequences.

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

Ahem @CodyT........ C'mon maaaaannn.... 

Sorry to disappoint y'all. Not trying to spout false info either. Without giving anything away on who told me this I'm "100%" surprised. Must have been more serious than they first thought .

"is darvins shoulder separated"

"no he'll be good to go" was the extent of the conversation. Maybe good to go was for playoffs. Not sure but I apologize 

ill be over here in the corner, eating dirt...

Edited by CodyT

12 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Nah not the worst. Still better then montreal, Healthy to healthy better then a few other teams too. Cant say atm with injures how good it is or isnt, we dont know who is in or out for how long.  Not long ago this wr core was called down and derided for not having any elite wr or wr who could stretch the field. That all went away pretty quick though didnt it. We also dont know exactly what we have in a bunch of guys that will probably be forced into action.

Its not a bad wr core, its a banged up wr core. Do we need upgrades? sure. Our LB core is in more trouble then our wr core. And our rb depth too. We are on the fringe of locking up a home play off game with a couple weeks to spare. Its not panic time.  

Idk man I'd kill to have BJ Cunningham and Ticquan Underwood on this team right now.

15 hours ago, Goalie said:

Yeah. He quit. 

He sure did and that is why people need to get over this.  He didn't want to be here. we dont want him here anymore.   If he wasn't willing to wait (which would have equated to 1 freakin' week) the time to get back in, if he felt he was that awesome. good riddance.  Nobody is bigger then the team or how its ran.

15 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Forget Thorpe, he didn't want to bide his time and bailed, old news. Washington wasn't horrible, in fact I thought he did just fine so let's hold off on the panic for now. 

exactly.  let him develop a bit before we throw stones and spears at the guy.  He isn't useless.  He has shown glimpses of skill. 

15 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Nothing.

bang on. If he was such a talent like he thinks he is, he would have landed elsewhere.  He hasn't as of yet and I bet he regrets handling business in the way that he did.

14 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I'd like to see what Givens or Gary Brown can do this week.

me too.  stoked to see what Givens brings to the table.

12 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

You're the one who continues to beat the same dead horse about how O'Shea short-changed him (a ridiculous narrative, to be sure). Thorpe requested his release and it was granted. He could've been playing here the last two weeks but he isn't and that's on him - and only him.

And the fact he hasn't been picked up by another team is pretty telling, wouldn't you agree? Choices have consequences.

ya why people feel the need to keep rehashing this roster decision (that wasn't made by the team or the coaches but by the player himself!) is beyond me.   Hes gone. he CHOSE to walk away and burn that bridge.  Not O'shea, Lapo or Walters.. that is ALL on Thorpe.  He felt he was a bigger deal then he thought he was.  If that was the case, his highlight reel shoulda landed him another job by now, no? 

14 hours ago, J5V said:

yet you continue to discuss him every chance you get to imply the bombers made some kind of gaffe by allowing him to slip thru their grasp.  He WILLINGLY walked away from the team.  He CHOSE to not want to be here.  its done, its over. it could have been a shame that he wasn't here but its not because he clearly isn't the type of player that our team covets or wants on our roster.  If he was, wouldn't we have done something to entice him to stay?

15 hours ago, J5V said:

Yeah. He quit ... the ... Practice Roster. Unforgivable sin, because he packed it in from the ... practice roster ...

you do realize that this is how its done right?  You really believe he should have leapfrogged Flanders (who has been here longer and put in more time? Who bided his time properly and didn't complain at all?  who was just as good if not better then Thorpe as a slot AND more practical as he is a backup RB?