Bombers @ Argos: Dressler Return? + Lapo Must Call Deep Balls To Non-Lankfords Edition

USABomberfan

19 minutes ago, J5V said:

Yup. Wife and I got tickets behind the Bomber bench. 122/4/8-9. Win or lose I'll definitely buy you a wobbly-pop!

Sounds good to me. I'm behind the south sticks in 115.  I sometimes go out the south exit with the smokers at halftime.

2 hours ago, bluto said:

Wilder is practising. Looks like a weekend return for him.

Was it J5V who was going to meet me for a beer?

I'm hoping not to give up 339 yards and a TD to Martese Jackson this time.

5 hours ago, Mark F said:

Ed Tait article Goosen was fined......

"Bombers centre Matthias Goossen for an ‘unnecessary hit to a vulnerable player (Micah Awe) in the game against the B.C. Lions.’ The fine amount was not disclosed…"

I disagree with the "unnecessary" part.

:1310_thumbsup_tone1: Matthias.

Ridiculous, it's called protecting your QB and RB.

I know I shouldn't condone penalties, but after all those years of our linemen getting pushed around, bout time these other teams get pushed back.

3 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Ridiculous, it's called protecting your QB and RB.

I know I shouldn't condone penalties, but after all those years of our linemen getting pushed around, bout time these other teams get pushed back.

Yep and that's why I didn't take issue with Harris socking that guy in the jaw. He could have picked a better time to do it, but I'm glad it was done. BC was taking liberties with our players and the officials were doing nothing about it.

kick-the-face.gif

27 minutes ago, J5V said:

Yep and that's why I didn't take issue with Harris socking that guy in the jaw. He could have picked a better time to do it, but I'm glad it was done. BC was taking liberties with our players and the officials were doing nothing about it.

kick-the-face.gif

Ewwww  love some Billy Jack vengeance!!

I started reading this thread about receivers and LaPo's tendency not to throw deep. That is something he has always done and has been written about in several previous threads. Interesting though is the fact that many here are looking for additional good receivers. While I agree we could certainly use some quality receivers , especially to replace Lankford, I noticed that Denmark's name has not been mentioned. I for one believe he is the one receiver that Nichols can rely on game in game out but is seldom thrown to. Last game I think he was thrown to on 3 occasions 2 of those were either behind him or in the ground. The one catchable ball he caught as he has always done. My point is while we need to replace Adams and there is some discussion about the 2 Canadians, Denmark remains probably the most reliable receiver we have yet he gets little or no respect and seldom sees the ball. With Dressler and Denmark in the receiving corps, Givens coming in with his credentials and one of the Canadians, not to mention Harris then I think we should be alright as long as LaPo designs plays to take advantage of ALL the receivers not just a returning Dressler which has been his perchance with players returning from injury. We will see.

And not being a Sask fan, keep looking over the shoulder. While we have secured a playoff spot I would be very leery of them as they are building steam and confidence. I think you will see Edmonton cross over and we will be playing Sask. Wherever that game is played we had better come out of the gates roaring because if we don't we might be mightily disappointed. Just saying for future. .

15 minutes ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

I started reading this thread about receivers and LaPo's tendency not to throw deep. That is something he has always done and has been written about in several previous threads. Interesting though is the fact that many here are looking for additional good receivers. While I agree we could certainly use some quality receivers , especially to replace Lankford, I noticed that Denmark's name has not been mentioned. I for one believe he is the one receiver that Nichols can rely on game in game out but is seldom thrown to. Last game I think he was thrown to on 3 occasions 2 of those were either behind him or in the ground. The one catchable ball he caught as he has always done. My point is while we need to replace Adams and there is some discussion about the 2 Canadians, Denmark remains probably the most reliable receiver we have yet he gets little or no respect and seldom sees the ball. With Dressler and Denmark in the receiving corps, Givens coming in with his credentials and one of the Canadians, not to mention Harris then I think we should be alright as long as LaPo designs plays to take advantage of ALL the receivers not just a returning Dressler which has been his perchance with players returning from injury. We will see.

And not being a Sask fan, keep looking over the shoulder. While we have secured a playoff spot I would be very leery of them as they are building steam and confidence. I think you will see Edmonton cross over and we will be playing Sask. Wherever that game is played we had better come out of the gates roaring because if we don't we might be mightily disappointed. Just saying for future. .

Let's keep in mind here, every decision on whether you throw deep or keep it short (unless closely scripted) does ultimately come down to the QB.  One thing about Nichols that's good is he's not going to force many balls around ball-hawking defenders.

It's true Lapo likes the check down game, but I'm certain even he understands you gotta keep the opposing defense honest by including deeper routes in your playbook.

But that also leads to why fans are justifiably wanting to crucify Lankford because of his bad deep ball route running.  Giving up on a play like he did against Hamilton not only gives a defense a freebie, it also damages your QB's confidence in you.  So perhaps part of the lack of deep shots has been that Nichols justifiably doesn't trust these guys.  Plus while Denmark has speed, he lacks height advantage.

Edited by USABomberfan

Well I think I rest my case on my point ref LaPo and playing to Dressler and Harris and for the most part forgetting about the others. I think I recall Denmark being targeted 3 times making two catches one for little if any gain. Givens late in the game got a few and one Canadian, sorry can't spell his name had a few also but the bulk of interest was Dressler and Harris. I certainly don't mind going to them but I think in order for the  defense not to key on them you have to spread the ball around and that didn't seem to be the game plan. Medlock missed the last field goal, something he was a given about 3 games ago and I don't really think that lost the game. However if you consider 2 missed field goals and this team and OC dependent on him so much well then I think that is what sunk the ship along with Fogg not doing well all night. Just my thoughts

Missing Leggett really hurt the game. A lot of missed tackles and  yards given up in the areas that he patrolled. If that defense was much tighter, this game is out of reach for the Argos and the missed FG could have been absorbed. Although the missed field goals are not acceptable in my opinion. I know they will happen but they are happening too much lately. We pay big dollars to have a guy that can make field goals when the game is on the line and Saturday, he just didn't do his job. I am not mad or upset... I am just simply disappointed.