Around the League - Regular Season Discussion (Redux)

BigBlue

Mike Kelly was an unmitigated disaster. There is just no question about that. However, let's not forget the brilliance of Lyle Bauer to hire a position coach and hand him complete control of the franchise just because he really, really wanted the job. Mike Kelly was a completely unqualified hire that was doomed to fail because Bauer put him in a position that was so far over his head that there was zero chance for success.

20 hours ago, 17to85 said:

The only good thing Mike Kelly did was trash the media in this city and put them in their place with the handled internally presser. Literally the only good thing. 

Unfortunately, he extended that "attitude" towards the paying public.  
His comments, unfavorably comparing Bomber fans to Rider fans, on radio - after possible the worst home loss in team history, in a in a big rivalry game.......were a total disgrace.  

20 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Signed Phillip Hunt, traded for O'dell Willis, signed Hefney, signed Jovon Johnson, brought in Adaruis Bowman who is still a star today. All these guys except for Hefney who was arguably the best of them all are still in the CFL today almost 8 years later. I call BS

Tillman brought Bowman into the league. Riders traded him because he couldn't catch to the Bombers. If I recall you ended up cutting him outright because he couldn't catch when he played for you either..... I should add that bowman still cant catch to this day, the Esks just don't seem to mind and keep throwing him the ball

Edited by Ripper

Jeff Reinebold unlikely to stay with Ticats, slams ‘disloyalty’....

Not a complete ambush on Reinebold, but  pretty close. Looks like Austin was hedging his bets around the DC position. In this interview^^ Reinebold lays it out pretty good.

It's bold Jeff, just Bold.

Just now, M.O.A.B. said:

Maybe he tried to assault Austin ?

lol ya I suppose that would be a legitimate reason lol.  must be something significant because if I was a coach or GM and you put your hands on a ref, you'd b benched/PR'd/cut pretty quickly.. he seemed to get suspension and then back into the starting lineup if memory serves.

39 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

lol ya I suppose that would be a legitimate reason lol.  must be something significant because if I was a coach or GM and you put your hands on a ref, you'd b benched/PR'd/cut pretty quickly.. he seemed to get suspension and then back into the starting lineup if memory serves.

He was one of their better defensive players, and on a team devoid of talent the leash is longer. Makes you wonder if Reinbold was vouching for him and now that he got canned they are cleaning house.

49 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

He was one of their better defensive players, and on a team devoid of talent the leash is longer. Makes you wonder if Reinbold was vouching for him and now that he got canned they are cleaning house.

This is a fallacy. He was not a good player. Teams were completing 90% of their passes against his coverage. A big reason that Hamilton's defence was so putrid.

I'm upset they released him. I wanted him in their lineup this week.

Edited by gcn11

23 hours ago, MC said:

...and his first decision as General Manager/Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach was to release Kevin Glenn.  Then he tossed the playbook in the garbage, because "QB's in shotgun is for flag football."  A case could be made that every one of those QB's failed because of the horrifically outdated playbook they were forced to use against defenses that wondered if they were still in high school.

Oh yes I remember this. I threw up in my mouth when I heard this the first time. sorry for repeating this but I took my wife to her first game at this time and she comes from a different country where a football is round. She asked me why our team had its thrower so close to the pushers when the other team's thrower had room to react, run or throw. 

21 hours ago, Nash00 said:

I sold Mike Kelly a stereo when I worked at Best Buy at the time of his coaching tenure. Didn't buy the extended warranty though.

There. Glad to get that off my chest, thanks for letting me contribute to this discussion.

When you asked if he wanted the warranty did he tell you he would handle it internally?

1 hour ago, Fan Boy said:

Oh yes I remember this. I threw up in my mouth when I heard this the first time. sorry for repeating this but I took my wife to her first game at this time and she comes from a different country where a football is round. She asked me why our team had its thrower so close to the pushers when the other team's thrower had room to react, run or throw. 

I find the Mike Kelly discussion so boring and nauseating .... hope we can move on

Edited by BigBlue

5 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Argo's starting 3rd stringer Jeff Matthew tomorrow against the Als.  Trestman must not have been impressed with Fajardo's constant scrambling and running with the ball

wow.  Fajardo was pumped as one of the next guys likely to take the step to starter... It Trestman's not a fan then that can't be a good endorsement.  Mathew's leapfrogging him cannot be a good thing.

21 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, he came up in a discussion. You're free to read & partake. Or not.  You may not like it but he's part of the Blue Bombers past & the subject of Mike Kelly will continue to come up from time to time. If 2009 was a 5 alarmer then 2013 under Tim Burke was a full out 15,000 hectare wildfire. 

Yes.  That we me partaking.

36 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Argo's starting 3rd stringer Jeff Matthew tomorrow against the Als.  Trestman must not have been impressed with Fajardo's constant scrambling and running with the ball

Farjado is the golden boy of a previous GM, while Matthew played a few games back when Trestman was still in the CFL.  It may simply be a trust/comfort decision.

Of course, if that's how Trestman feels he could have made JM the #2 right out of camp.