Around the League - Regular Season Discussion (Redux)

BigBlue

It's especially stupid because it's a desperation hire anyways.  The guy has no idea about Canadian football, no CFL experience.  The Ticats are following the script for a horrible team.  Even with June Jones coming in midseason.

I feel that if it were someone with a history in Canada and the CFL the "second chance" idea might have some merit, but when you're hiring a NCAA coach midseason it makes zero sense.

Just two seasons ago the Ticats were rolling along and many had them picked as a club to emulate, Grey Cup  favs etc, then the injury to Collaros. When the wheels fall off a franchise they can reaaaaally fall off.  I guess there was so much more wrong with that team particularly management etc than anyone could have imagined ...

Edited by IC Khari

13 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Kinda sorta, but the only people entitled to enter Canada are Canadian citizens and people with status in Canada.  They can refuse entry to anyone else, and those people can petition to enter, but no rights to set foot in Canada.  Same as any country in the world.

And it does happen all the time.  People who don't comply with searches or questioning are turned back everyday.

Even a person with status in Canada is not entitled to enter, such as a PR who has not met his/her residency requirements. And a traveller preventing or hindering a CBSA officer to complete his/her examination is considered a criminal offense, therefore rendering that traveller inadmissible. If point of finality can't be reached, that's a justifiable reason to deny entry and not someone being turned back "just because."

Anyway, good on the league stepping in and putting the kibosh on this decision.

Edited by blue_gold_84
back on topic

16 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

One of the greatest coaches I've been fortunate enough to know!!! Welcome to the #CFL -Willie Jefferson III

Why am I not surprised?

It makes me cringe when someone classifies it as "everyone makes mistakes"... like this is something that can and will happen to everyone... just disgusting...

As for Jefferson's quote... it's not inaccurate as he was a great football coach... just incredibly tone deaf...

Assuming Bruce Arthur has his facts straight (and he usually does)... it sounds like the league can't block a coaching signing...

"The CFL wasn’t sure it could block a coaching appointment; the league can and has refused to register player contracts, but two sources familiar with the constitution told the Star the only way commissioner Randy Ambrosie could block the hire would be if he decided the move brought he league into disrepute. And even then, the CFL wasn’t sure it would hold weight.

So they went with old-fashioned diplomacy instead, arguing and leaning and persuading into the evening, and saved the team from themselves. The statement announcing Briles wasn’t coming arrived at 9:23 p.m."

http://3downnation.com/2017/08/29/arthur-attempting-hire-art-briles-stain-ticats-franchise/

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

It's especially stupid because it's a desperation hire anyways.  The guy has no idea about Canadian football, no CFL experience.  The Ticats are following the script for a horrible team.  Even with June Jones coming in midseason.

I feel that if it were someone with a history in Canada and the CFL the "second chance" idea might have some merit, but when you're hiring a NCAA coach midseason it makes zero sense.

Furthermore, what does this say about June Jones? I assume he had a say in wanting to bring in Briles? You'd think he'd want to surround himself with experienced credible CFL coaches.

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Furthermore, what does this say about June Jones? I assume he had a say in wanting to bring in Briles? You'd think he'd want to surround himself with experienced credible CFL coaches.

I can only hazard a guess he was hired based on his overall success and this remaining half-season would be his opportunity to learn the CFL game, evaluate the roster, and then determine what's worth keeping for 2018.

http://3downnation.com/2017/08/29/ticats-owner-bob-young-apologizes-teams-attempt-hire-art-briles/

“We made a large and serious mistake. We want to apologize to our fans, corporate partners and the Canadian Football League. It has been a difficult season and we are searching for answers. This is clearly not one of them. We have listened, we are reviewing our decision-making processes and we will learn. We will go on. We want to thank our fans, partners and the CFL for their help and support.”

4 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Its sort of tough.  We know its the wrong decision.  But assuming he is very close friends with Briles, he was throwing a friend a lifeline.  I can understand his desire to do that.  Unfortunately, it wasnt like he was hiring him to work for his landscape business or something - its a very publicly visual business that impacts a great many people.  Can't do that.

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Its sort of tough.  We know its the wrong decision.  But assuming he is very close friends with Briles, he was throwing a friend a lifeline.  I can understand his desire to do that.  Unfortunately, it wasnt like he was hiring him to work for his landscape business or something - its a very publicly visual business that impacts a great many people.  Can't do that.

Not in a city like Hamilton. You could probably get away with it in Toronto, where no one would care or in Regina, where the rabid fans would accept Jeffrey Dahmer as a player, coach or commentator.

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

A very poor lapse in judgment on the part of June Jones if that's the case. It's bad enough your team is 0-8 and in utter disarray, but to then hire someone with that sort of baggage...? Yeesh.

30 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Well Willie Jefferson was kicked out out Baylor for falling asleep in a Taco Bell drivethru with weed in his car.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=5686403

Falling asleep is pretty stupid, potentially dangerous.  Weed is the only valid excuse for being in a Taco Bell DT.   Of course, incomparable to domestic violence. 

On the other hand; Chris Rainey.... who's been a stud for me in fantasy all season.... has a long history of domestic violence.

The league could certainly be more consistent in this area, it would seem. 

"Witnesses told officers that Rainey and the victim got into an argument over Rainey's cellphone," the police statement read. "The female victim entered the vehicle of Rainey's roommate, and Rainey confronted her on the passenger side of the vehicle, and began pulling her out of the vehicle. Witnesses then observed Rainey slap the victim across the face with an open hand.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000124526/article/chris-rainey-arrested-in-florida-on-battery-charge

His troubles started in college, at the University of Florida in 2010, and have continued as he hopped from the Steelers, to the Colts, and finally landed at the Cardinals last week. He's been dismissed from every team he's played on since college.

His first arrest in Gainesville, Florida, in 2010 was for a stalking charge. Police said he sent his girlfriend a text that said, "Time to Die ***** u and ur???" He pleaded guilty.

http://thelead.blogs.cnn.com/2014/09/18/cardinals-cut-player-with-violent-history-after-cnn-inquiries/

11 hours ago, Goalie said:

But Canada is different than the US. We promote diversity .. We accept it... 

Diversity is strength. Who cares when they started it.. Its the truth. Its what makes Canada and the CFL great. 

I don't want to start a whole thing, but diversity for the the sake of it doesn't make anything stronger.  It's just a buzzword for virtue signallers.   

Actual strength and good morals makes us better, not diversity.   Strength makes us stronger.   

I believe in merit. .....not virtue signalling to make a quick buck and make yourselves look good.

OK I'm good. 

Edited by basslicker

The Diversity is Strength campaign was coming to the CFL, only it was slated for later in the year. The fact that the CFL 'jumped' in early was a marketing opportunity. You don't just ignore an opportunity when one presents itself. It was/is not a bad thing, in fact, it shows an awareness that the CFL seems to have been missing for years. The League is in good hands.

I don't care how it was done, promoting this league (and, by extension, our country) as a place of great diversity, and that diversity is a GREAT thing, is awesome. With how America is being run, and the idea that diversity is bad being a more comfortable talking point down south, it's all that much more important for us to bang the drum for the more progressive mindset that defines MOST Canadians...

22 minutes ago, basslicker said:

I don't want to start a whole thing, but diversity for the the sake of it doesn't make anything stronger.  It's just a buzzword for virtue signallers.   

Actual strength and good morals makes us better, not diversity.   Strength makes us stronger.   

I believe in merit. .....not virtue signalling to make a quick buck and make yourselves look good.

OK I'm good. 

Good morals = accepting people despite differences = diversity = strength = stronger ≠ buzzword for virtue signalers.