Around the League - Regular Season Discussion (Redux)

BigBlue

3 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

He may be, but he does have a bit of a point.  The funny thing is I was just thinking of Crompton the other day and thinking how much worse the Als got after he left.  And yes, I almost forgot that Reed on top of his other little antics had brought Joe Mack in.  I'll tell ya, at least for as bad as things are in Hamilton, at least Austin is no longer embarrassing them on the sideline.  Right now this circus has gone full tilt and Jim Popp just has to be laughing at the Wetenhalls.

Meh... I'd say the stronger argument to be made is Calvillo retiring with regard to the Alouettes' decline as a top team. Crompton had one somewhat good season in 2014 but was then lousy a year later and then injured. Not sure what karma has to do with anything, that's all.

The Alouettes are a disaster, to be sure.

22 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

He may be, but he does have a bit of a point.  The funny thing is I was just thinking of Crompton the other day and thinking how much worse the Als got after he left.  And yes, I almost forgot that Reed on top of his other little antics had brought Joe Mack in.  I'll tell ya, at least for as bad as things are in Hamilton, at least Austin is no longer embarrassing them on the sideline.  Right now this circus has gone full tilt and Jim Popp just has to be laughing at the Wetenhalls.

Popp is in no position to laugh at anyone else, he earned his firement.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Meh... I'd say the stronger argument to be made is Calvillo retiring with regard to the Alouettes' decline as a top team. Crompton had one somewhat good season in 2014 but was then lousy a year later and then injured. Not sure what karma has to do with anything, that's all.

The Alouettes are a disaster, to be sure.

Well yes Calvillo retiring knocked em off from being an elite unit, but they still were able to make the playoffs the next two years.  They've shown no patience though with developing QBs, and Vernon Adams leaving and being stuck where they are right now is really making that place an unattractive place to play.  They've lived off of a past reputation of being the place where most former college or NFL stars would have picked to land should they find themselves looking at opportunity north of the border, but I think they're going to be looking to stay away from this dumpster fire if wholesale changes aren't made soon.

3 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Popp is in no position to laugh at anyone else, he earned his firement.

I ripped Popp plenty for putting his own interests above the team and deciding he needed to coach em when he should have been focused on just being a GM doing a rebuilding job bringing in young talent instead of grabbing old well-past-their-time players which in part caused MTL's current debacle.  But at least now he has Trestman back, is doing one game better than his old team, and so long as Trestman doesn't walk out on him, I don't think he's going to try to wear 2 hats in Toronto.

Problem is, the Wetenhalls and anyone else firing Popp is just as bad because they should know better than to hire a dud like Reed to take over.  So while Popp had his blame in this, the Montreal BOD is just as bad and as much to blame for this, if not more so, so yeah, Popp can laugh a little.

http://3downnation.com/2017/09/11/cfl-demoing-footballs-that-would-be-exactly-the-same-as-nfl-balls/

A new CFL football, identical in size and shape to an NFL ball, is being tested around the league and could possibly be used in game action as soon as next season, per sources.

Each team has samples of the new footballs – distributed in April and kept highly secretive – that are made to the same standards as pigskins used in the NFL. Sources say the move, which could make the balls easier to throw and catch, is being considered in an effort to improve scoring.

“The league has asked teams to help us test different footballs. Before any are put into play, it would need to go through a series of approvals,” a league spokesperson says.

Both leagues have standards for the minimum and maximum size their footballs but the Canadian ball is, generally, slightly larger. If a CFL ball is constructed to the maximum specifications and the NFL ball the minimum, which is how they’re currently made, the Canadian football would be a 1/4 of an inch longer and 1/8 of an inch bigger around.

The new CFL ball would also be closer in size to the balls used in American college football, which have slightly smaller specifications than the NFL.

https://cfldb.ca/faq/equipment/