Around the League - Regular Season Discussion (Redux)

BigBlue

With the trade deadline approaching tomorrow I’m wondering if any of the current injuries are going to play into effect of any consideration of making a move or two.  If Flanders is going to be out for some time and Dressler hurt more than he is healthy, do they consider bringing in a receiver or RB? I suppose Hamilton and Montreal are really the only two teams that would want to be moving pieces out at this time.  It would be nice to get Lawrence from the ticats.  He alone could probably turns things around on D (If Hall would let the dogs loose a bit more).

BC and Edmonton have an abundance of receivers, but I can’t see them swinging a trade with Winnipeg.  Sure would be nice to have a guy to take the pressure off Adams.  Now not sure how crazy of an idea this is, but what about Nik Lewis? He may be playing his last year and Mtl may do him a favour and trade him to a contender(probably Calgary if anywhere) for one last chance at the Grey Cup. Of course he wouldn’t be the type of receiver that is going to stretch the field , but again if Flanders is hurt he may be able to partly fill that void at a relatively cheap price. 

Who’s better than the Roughriders?

The Calgary Stampeders (proud owners of a 12-1-1 record) are a mortal lock to finish first overall in the nine-team league. Even so, they were held without a touchdown in their most-recent meeting with Saskatchewan — a 15-9 Stampeders victory Sept. 24 at Mosaic Stadium.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers (10-4-0) are seeded second, but they barely won the season series with Saskatchewan.

http://leaderpost.com/sports/football/cfl/saskatchewan-roughriders/jones-is-a-top-coach-of-the-year-candidate?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+leaderpost%2FzzCM+(Regina+Leader-Post)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Who’s better than the Roughriders?

The Calgary Stampeders (proud owners of a 12-1-1 record) are a mortal lock to finish first overall in the nine-team league. Even so, they were held without a touchdown in their most-recent meeting with Saskatchewan — a 15-9 Stampeders victory Sept. 24 at Mosaic Stadium.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers (10-4-0) are seeded second, but they barely won the season series with Saskatchewan.

http://leaderpost.com/sports/football/cfl/saskatchewan-roughriders/jones-is-a-top-coach-of-the-year-candidate?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+leaderpost%2FzzCM+(Regina+Leader-Post)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jones is definitely a top 8 candidate for the award.

On 10/6/2017 at 11:41 AM, Fan Boy said:

I loved it when we were playing Toronto and suddenly BC sucks starts and  Everyone joins in.  So weird. If it was Riders Suck I could understand but BC?

On 10/6/2017 at 11:53 AM, SPuDS said:

yea I never truly understood the BC hate other then them being in our division.. maybe its the westcoasters versus prairie folk?   either way, hilarious when those chants used to sproadically break out yup,.

No one needed to chant Riders Suck because it was self-evident.  For real.  No one cared about them.  They weren't our rivals, they were insignificant.  They went something like 20 years without hosting a playoff game.  Prior to '88, they had won two Grey Cups in their history.  Averaged around 18,000 fans for most of those years.  They were the most sad-sack team imaginable.

Edmonton and BC were the teams that stood in the Bombers way on the road out of the West.  That's why they got the business.  Why people didn't sling grief at the Riders?  Maybe that's like asking why people don't critique Dancing Gabe's dance moves.  Who is the shine coming off of when that happens?

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Jones is definitely a top 8 candidate for the award.

Considering where they were at the start of the year compared to where they are now, combined with what seems to be a generally weak field outside of Dickenson and OShea, I'd have no problems with giving Jones that third spot for Coach of the Year nominations.

We're talking about June Jones, right?

4 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

We won by 3 on opening night in their new digs. We won by 20 in the Banjo Bowl. We won 2 of 3.  Overall we outscored them by 9 but won two games by an average of 11.5 per game. Vandstone is a moron.

Not to mention the Bombers were coming off a bye in week 2. Outside of two huge plays for the Riders, the Banjo Bowl was dominated by the home team. But sure, the Bombers "barely" won the season series.

The Riders are a .500 team on the road and still below .500 vs. the West. I fail to see how that makes Jones part of the COTY conversation.

6 hours ago, mbrg said:

No one needed to chant Riders Suck because it was self-evident.  For real.  No one cared about them.  They weren't our rivals, they were insignificant.  They went something like 20 years without hosting a playoff game.  Prior to '88, they had won two Grey Cups in their history.  Averaged around 18,000 fans for most of those years.  They were the most sad-sack team imaginable.

Edmonton and BC were the teams that stood in the Bombers way on the road out of the West.  That's why they got the business.  Why people didn't sling grief at the Riders?  Maybe that's like asking why people don't critique Dancing Gabe's dance moves.  Who is the shine coming off of when that happens?

I believe that statement should read 'Prior to 2007..."

6 hours ago, mbrg said:

The 1981 Riders were actually a good team, including super-star receiver Joey Walters, who the Bombers let get away in 1977.  The Riders were 9-7 that year but failed to make the playoffs because the league didn't have a cross-over rule in place.  Instead the third place Montreal Alouettes made the playoffs in the East, despite having a 3-13 record.  Because of how bad the East was that year, the league started the cross-over rule after that.  It's a good thing times have changed and the cross-over hasn't been needed in a long time.  /sarcasm

Image result for the more you know peter griffin

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 2:10 PM, SPuDS said:

yea his blocking is pretty suspect at the best of times.

Yet, TSN & everyone associated with the media says Gable is a great blocker which is surprising. Not from what I've seen. He hung Collaros out to dry more than a few times. I've seen him miss blocks completely or be passive in pass pro. I always thought Gable was overrated. 

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yet, TSN & everyone associated with the media says Gable is a great blocker which is surprising. Not from what I've seen. He hung Collaros out to dry more than a few times. I've seen him miss blocks completely or be passive in pass pro. I always thought Gable was overrated. 

He was also asked to block more than any other back in the league over the last 2 years, with almost no threat of him running (often getting 5 carries or less per game).  It's a tough assignment and yeah, there are going to be misses.  I think he got a bit of a rough ride playing in an offence that was so pass-heavy for so long.