Around the League - Regular Season Discussion (Redux)

BigBlue

Just now, Brandon said:

I thought BC offered him a lot more money and the opportunity to start,  while Winnipeg was offering back up money. 

...isn't that what I just said? well minus the higher paycheque but they offered him a spot to start.

18 hours ago, Booch said:

It's funny that we all get a laugh at the Rider's expense... but I would feel kinda bad if Carter legitimately had a serious mental illness that needed attention... perhaps he should get the old noggin looked after...

14 hours ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

With his talent he should be in the NFL.  Too bad about his 10 cent brain.

Based on talent alone, Carter would be more than just a marginal player  in the NFL... I actually think he could be a star in the NFL... there's no question it's not his talent keeping him out of the league... 

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I thought BC offered him a lot more money and the opportunity to start,  while Winnipeg was offering back up money. 

Not sure money had a part in it.  Here's a a quote from Walters:

“It was pretty evident Tony was going to go to free agency. He’s from the West Coast… his agent was open and up front and it seemed like they had made up their mind pretty early in the day that they were going to head West. Tony’s a good kid and we wish him the best of luck and he may have a better opportunity to play there.”

Just now, bigg jay said:

Als have released the guy they had tabbed to replace for Bear Woods.

interesting.   ya he was said to have been the reason Bear Woods was expendable.   Suppose the story behind Wood's bringing issues up to the CFLPA may have had more weight to it.. not that I'm surprised in the least, Kavis Reed's tenure as a GM has been laughable at best.

5 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Wouldn't be ineligible to play this season/post-season?

I thought so... but not 100% on how it works.  I know we can sign FAs and they can still play.. does that include FAs from cfl teams cut recently?  not sure.

1 minute ago, SPuDS said:

I thought so... but not 100% on how it works.  I know we can sign FAs and they can still play.. does that include FAs from cfl teams cut recently?  not sure.

I think if a player is released by team A at this point in the season, team B can sign him to a PR spot only. IIRC, this was a discussion last year when Carter was released by the Alouettes.

1 minute ago, SPuDS said:

Wouldn't that mean we can't sign Burnett too? That would really be a strange agreement  if the CFLPA endorsed  it....

Just now, bb1 said:

Wouldn't that mean we can't sign Burnett too? That would really be a strange agreement  if the CFLPA endorsed  it....

yea its a grey area that i'm not sure of. I'm sure there must be some mention of it in the CFLPA agreement but ain't nobody got time fo' digging into dat, lol.

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

It's funny that we all get a laugh at the Rider's expense... but I would feel kinda bad if Carter legitimately had a serious mental illness that needed attention... perhaps he should get the old noggin looked after...

Based on talent alone, Carter would be more than just a marginal player  in the NFL... I actually think he could be a star in the NFL... there's no question it's not his talent keeping him out of the league... 

Why not both.  I agree Carter's got serious mental issues at worst, massive egomaniac at best.  He needs help.

That said, this is 2397423rd controversy type thing since Saviour Jones took over, they deserve everything they get and then some. 

37 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I think if a player is released by team A at this point in the season, team B can sign him to a PR spot only. IIRC, this was a discussion last year when Carter was released by the Alouettes.

This is correct, thus it's rather cruel to release a player late in the season but if they are a vet. they've already been paid out anyways.

48 minutes ago, bb1 said:

They would endorse it if the player was guaranteed his full salary, so that's probably what's happening here.  So on the bright side for Bomber fans, these teams haven't freed up any cap space by doing this**.

**Edit: If the CFL behaved in a logical manner, which is a coin-toss at all times.

Edited by mbrg

8 minutes ago, mbrg said:

They would endorse it if the player was guaranteed his full salary, so that's probably what's happening here.  So on the bright side for Bomber fans, these teams haven't freed up any cap space by doing this**.

**Edit: If the CFL behaved in a logical manner, which is a coin-toss at all times.

Yea i get it....so these players are SOL to play this year but get a full salary and a possible window for next year i guess but why practice roster and no games is strange.What good is it to put Vet players on the practice roster? They are free agents at the end of the year and no benefit to that team...

Edited by bb1

53 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Yea i get it....so these players are SOL to play this year but get a full salary and a possible window for next year i guess but why practice roster and no games is strange.What good is it to put Vet players on the practice roster? They are free agents at the end of the year and no benefit to that team...

I imagine the rule is in place so teams don't try to circumvent the trade deadline. Say for example the Bombers now need a Sam to replace Leggett. Then another team like the Als that are out of the playoffs just so happens to release an all-star quality Sam that the Bombers proceed to sign. Then in the off-season the Bombers and Als make a deal that heavily favours the Als as compensation for the Sam they released. 

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

apparently this is a thing:

@TShireGlobal

Duron Carter will play both defensive back & receiver on Friday. He will play a lot of football but won't see every snap. #Riders #CFL

Clearly the entire Rider season is structured around "any news is good news", and subsequently a desire to be in the headlines at all times.

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

apparently this is a thing:

@TShireGlobal

Duron Carter will play both defensive back & receiver on Friday. He will play a lot of football but won't see every snap. #Riders #CFL

so his punishment is to play ironman football.. just not every down.

seems legit.