Around the League - Regular Season Discussion (Redux)

BigBlue

3 hours ago, mfranc said:

They have definitely been solid.  June Jones worked some magic.

Their win against us was no fluke and they absolutely demolished the Als today. 

Speaking of the Als, I don't know how long Darian Durant's signed for over there, but is he done? Methinks they need a QB over there post haste.

11 minutes ago, J5V said:

Their win against us was no fluke and they absolutely demolished the Als today. 

Speaking of the Als, I don't know how long Darian Durant's signed for over there, but is he done? Methinks they need a QB over there post haste.

They need a new GM. Oh wait. They have one. Kavis Reed. Als fans now have no hope. 

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

RedBlacks NAT WR Sinopoli out for remainder of season: http://3downnation.com/2017/10/23/redblacks-receiver-brad-sinopoli-ruled-out-for-ticats-contest-possibly-longer/

Missed this gem from Brad Wall: http://3downnation.com/2017/10/21/saskatchewan-premier-brad-wall-takes-shot-argos-attendance/

No class whatsoever. Seriously, what an assclown.

This news is worse for Ottawa than losing Adams was for us. For us, it would have been like losing Harris for the season.

http://3downnation.com/2017/10/24/intriguing-names-in-the-mix-to-be-next-alouettes-head-coach/

"...Sources say Stampeders defensive coordinator DeVone Claybrooks could be a front-runner for the position while Bombers offensive coordinator Paul LaPolice is also high on the list. There will be others..."

16 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I am sure Lapo is high on the list, but does Lapo want to go into that mess? I doubt it. He's gonna try and pick his spot. It's a shame that he still blames others for his failures as head coach, but whatever, I am resigned to the fact that we're stuck with him. 

He does...? And FWIW, I'm glad the team is "stuck" with him. This recent dry spell aside, the offense has been an utter joy to watch in 2017.

55 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

He does...? And FWIW, I'm glad the team is "stuck" with him. This recent dry spell aside, the offense has been an utter joy to watch in 2017.

you like an offense that pulls a disappearing act as often as this one does? 

Here's a controversial opinion for ya, you put a gun to my head and make me choose between Lapo and Hall I'm keeping Hall ahead of Lapo. 

36 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Here's a controversial opinion for ya, you put a gun to my head and make me choose between Lapo and Hall I'm keeping Hall ahead of Lapo. 

Often...? Yeah, one of the league's top offensive units that's gone cold in recent weeks due to injury vs. a defensive unit that's been one of the worst in the league in several categories for the last three seasons under the same DC.

Your personal issue with LaPolice does nothing but cloud your judgment and common sense. Your opinion isn't controversial; it's flat out ridiculous.

I also see you never bothered to back up your claim LaPolice blames others for his failures as HC. No bias at all, eh?

Edited by blue_gold_84
pointing out a weak bias

47 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

How many fourth quarter game winning drives have Lapo and Nichols put up in the last two years?  Would've had yet another one against Toronto if Medlock wasn't slumping.

I think "controversial" is a flattering word for this opinion.  I'd go with "disappointing" or "underachieving" because  I expect you to say smarter things.

Edited by johnzo

The reason they have to have so many last minute drives is precisely because Lapo is content to go 2 and out all game long until he has no choice but to try and win the game. At least Ritchie Hall is willing and able to adjust as a game progresses. I have no great love for the bend but don't break defense, but I much prefer a guy that changes according to the game to the offensive coordinator who bases his entire game around "don't try until you're losing"

Furthermore, I think the Bomber coaching is fine.  Win the turnover battle = win the game.  That means sometimes conservative offence and soft D so that the playmakers are more free to fly around and do their thing. 

It's frustrating to watch at times, but it works.

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The reason they have to have so many last minute drives is precisely because Lapo is content to go 2 and out all game long until he has no choice but to try and win the game.

How do the Bombers stack up against the rest of the league in terms of 2 and outs?  Do we go 2-and-out more frequently than other teams?

Didn't we have a game with zero two-and-outs earlier this year?  I wanna say the game that snapped the Edmonton winning streak....

The fact is that everyone blames the D for giving up all the yards late in games, but a big part of that is the offense stops doing anything productive when they have a lead. They'll run for 5-8 yards then handoff again when everyone knows it's coming and get stopped and then have to punt. 

Lapo is passive to a fault and he plays not to lose rather than playing to win. It cost us in 2011 and it'll probably cost us again this year in the playoffs. 

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

The reason they have to have so many last minute drives is precisely because Lapo is content to go 2 and out all game long until he has no choice but to try and win the game. At least Ritchie Hall is willing and able to adjust as a game progresses. I have no great love for the bend but don't break defense, but I much prefer a guy that changes according to the game to the offensive coordinator who bases his entire game around "don't try until you're losing"

Image result for you're not using your brain

http://statfox.com/cfl/offstats.asp?season=2017&sortby=ppg&stype=all

http://statfox.com/cfl/defstats.asp?season=2017&sortby=oppg&stype

The proof is in the numbers.

I was mistaken. Your bias isn't clouding your judgement. It's blinding it completely. Did LaPolice cut you in line back in the day or something?

Edited by blue_gold_84

Ah, yes, here it is, from the week 18 stats PDF.  We're second-best at 2-and-outs, and if you look back to past weeks, we were the best until a couple of games ago, right around when  Flanders got hurt. 

We're second-best in offensive touchdowns, too.  That is definitely the hallmark of a failed, too-conservative offensive coach who is too concerned about winning the turnover battle (we're second in giveaways, too.)

If Lapo doesn't play to win, he's pretty crappy at it.

Screenshot_from_2017_10_24_12_03_21.png

Edited by johnzo

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Lapo is passive to a fault and he plays not to lose rather than playing to win. It cost us in 2011 and it'll probably cost us again this year in the playoffs. 

Yeah, except when the offense does generate a come-from-behind win. And I'm pretty sure the 2011 Bombers were simply beaten a better, more complete team.

Jee-zus... The bias is real.