Talks with Mulumba

Booch

I'm hoping that Kyle and Co. seeing as Mulumba wants their offer increased or have rights traded step up and make him happy....Be prorated for this year if he comes and could be a significant help for final push.

If deemed not worthy of it next year...which I would highly doubt he wouldn't be then can always move him at or after camp. We have saved money with Wild, Opo and Dressler on 6 game this year...now with Westerman and also dumped Johnson's salary all of which were never really re-used anywhere yet...so funds are there...time to step up and become a big player for a change and not let opportunities slide by

has no bearing on signing free agents..or in this case a draft pick who is our property...there is a point tho when a guy is released off a team and can be signed by someone else...but isn't eligible to play for them...not sure when that cut-off is, or if it runs in conjuncture to trade deadline

23 minutes ago, Noeller said:

For anyone wondering what the hell Booch is talking about, Mulumba's agent is reportedly asking the Bombers for a better offer or to trade his rights..... All this as of this morning,via Bauming and others... 

So it finally comes down to money and whether it's worth it for him to continue on with his football career.  If he's hinting that he would rather play closer to home it might be smart to trade his rights and get what they can now, rather than lose him to F.A. at the first opportunity.

Im kinda hoping that we show him the money.   I'd like to see what he has and if this wait has been worth it..

failing that, I have no qualms about trading his rights as long as we get something significant in return.. this could be difficult though without any body of work to reference in trade negotiations. 

6 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Im kinda hoping that we show him the money.   I'd like to see what he has and if this wait has been worth it..

failing that, I have no qualms about trading his rights as long as we get something significant in return.. this could be difficult though without any body of work to reference in trade negotiations. 

Walters values starting Canadians and isn't afraid to show them the money. Gotta assume he locks this guy up. The only concern is, do we have the cap room?

Just now, Judd said:

Walters values starting Canadians and isn't afraid to show them the money. Gotta assume he locks this guy up. The only concern is, do we have the cap room?

very true.   Walters has shown he does prioritize our canadian content and I like that.   I'm almost thinking that if we gotta take a hit on going over the cap, so be it.  we have seen how minuscule the fine is for that.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Blue said:

Curious what others think fair market value would be for a guy like Mulumba?

2nd overall National draft pick ~ $100k

+ NFL experience  ~$80k - 100k?

so 180 - 200k?

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Westerman sign for around 165-175??  Gotta assume Mulumba gets more than that so you're probably pretty close

Edited by Judd

Interesting comments from his agent.  Apparently there has been no contact for two weeks.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/bombers-draft-choice-cut-by-nfl-wants-money-or-freedom-agent-says-451283713.html

But Tafelski would not say how low Winnipeg's offer was.

"We don't want to get into a three-year deal," said Tafelski. "We want amicable terms and an amicable deal. Because what they want to do is string it out for a three-year deal. But he's not going to do that. It doesn't make sense what they're offering and the fact there's a lack of communication. He's prepared to retire and go a different direction. This guy's a smart man, an intelligent man. Great business acumen and especially international business acumen and he can do a lot of things. That's where he would look to start a (new) career."

Tafelski was clearly frustrated with Winnipeg's negotiating posture.

"The lack of professionalism in the CFL is why the CFL is the CFL and always will be the CFL," said Tafelski. "It's portrayed (that way) by the agent world and the athletic world... OK, here you go. Don't have time for dialogue. It's a lack of professionalism. I don't care if you print that or not."

So basically they want a lot of money and likely only for the remainder of this year.

Sounds like normal negotiating positioning to me.  The Bombers have lots of game film from preseason action over the last few years to grade him, and their contacts from the various teams will tell him exactly the type of player he is.  This is just the agent trying to squeeze a little more.  The Bombers hold most of the cards because he is their draft pick.  Completely different from Westerman who was a free agent.

"The lack of professionalism in the CFL is why the CFL is the CFL and always will be the CFL," said Tafelski. "It's portrayed (that way) by the agent world and the athletic world... OK, here you go. Don't have time for dialogue. It's a lack of professionalism. I don't care if you print that or not."

Man, what a toolbag comment. He does realize the CFL isn't a professional sports juggernaut that can just throw around money, right...?

No reason for the Bombers to sign him for two years.  That would be just the rest of this year - when he would be no help - and next year.

The agent is playing the only card he has - to go public and hope public pressure helps.

Even if he signs for three years, he can always quit after two and pursue his other interests.

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

Interesting comments from his agent.  Apparently there has been no contact for two weeks.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/bombers-draft-choice-cut-by-nfl-wants-money-or-freedom-agent-says-451283713.html

So basically they want a lot of money and likely only for the remainder of this year.

I wouldn't say that it's "interesting", I would say it's dickish.

Don't want to play in the CFL and don't want to make your commission? Fine then, don't sign. Keep stomping your feet and crying. ****ing baby

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

Man, what a toolbag comment. He does realize the CFL isn't a professional sports juggernaut that can just throw around money, right...?

ya, his agent reminds me of that one agent that represented Muamba.. hardaway? the one that is always dicking his clientele and the CFL around trying to get the best deals possible..

I get it but really, do you need to posture so hard?  work with the team, not against them.. never understood the douchebag negotiation techniques.

that agent sounds like a moron. **** that guy. I trust Walters to do the right thing. At the end of the day, it's highly unlikely that a guy who last played in 2015 is going to come in and help us this year. He's a next year project, at this point...

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

I thought the one year contract was only for CFL vets, initial contract is still two year min?  He'd be looking at this year plus next. Walters has been known to try and lock players down for 3 years. It makes the most sense for the club.

If Mulumba wants to play football, it will have to be the CFL. I believe his NFL window has closed...

Just now, Dr. Blue said:

I thought the one year contract was only for CFL vets, initial contract is still two year min?  He'd be looking at this year plus next. Walters has been known to try and lock players down for 3 years. It makes the most sense for the club.

If Mulumba wants to play football, it will have to be the CFL. I believe his NFL window has closed...

yup. but if you believe his agent, he doesn't seem to value the ability to play football.. he can go into his business job without too much concern, lol.   Why would an agent even threaten that.  he gets zero dollars out of that move.. 

whatevs.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

So he doesn't want a three year deal, and he wants a lot of money. 

What exactly is he going to give us? 

For an agent whining about professionalism, he sure doesn't seem to understand the concept of a mutually beneficial agreement.

I doubt we see Mulumba here.

His agent is an idiot. Not to mention a massive hypocrite.