Talks with Mulumba

Booch

4 hours ago, shadybob said:

I really like our D-line with both Nevis & Poop starting with Thomas rotating in, Corney coming along nicely too.  Would be great to have Westerman in there as well, but Jeffcoat is really playing well, Oka starting to pick it up too. For those reasons I would try and trade him to try and get a positional need, i,e, WR or LB. I trust Walters whatever happens. 

Corney has shown more flashes this year, but isnt he banged up too? Imo mulumba would  be more raw then corney playing end too. This isnt a westerman type situation. 

The 4 imps on the DL with jeffcoat and corney rotating is good, especially while we are banged up at WR and starting 2 ni any way. 

6 hours ago, SPuDS said:

ya, his agent reminds me of that one agent that represented Muamba.. hardaway? the one that is always dicking his clientele and the CFL around trying to get the best deals possible..

I get it but really, do you need to posture so hard?  work with the team, not against them.. never understood the douchebag negotiation techniques.

Sorry to state the obvious, but isn't that what any agent is supposed to do?

4 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

So a no name agent with minimal clients slams the CFL and he's not even certified. What a jackass. You'd think Mulumba if he was so smart would know enough to hire a certified agent.

It could be as well that Mulumba has so little regard for playing up here that he and his agent haven't seriously looked into the CFL at all except to see if they can squeeze a bunch of money out of Walters or arrange a trade to a city of his choosing.  If this is the case then it's no surprise they have no clue about agent certification up here.  Judging by that agent's tiny client list and almost total absence from a Google search I would question his competence as an agent. 

I think Mulumba retires and moves on with his life about two days after the NFL season ends.  If he's not committed to playing football wherever he can then he may as well move on.  All the best to him if that's how it goes.

28 minutes ago, Floyd said:

We just cut a guy because he wanted to stay on the roster and play.  No way Walters now signs a guy whose agent just insulted the CFL and wants a four game contract...

Let him rot.  Good riddance to the last of Mack's crap first rounders.

We did not cut him.......as he was on the practice roster he can walk away at any point. He left the team and was not cut.....

27 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Might want to understand how the practice roster works before commenting.

The Bombers released him from his PR contract but that doesn't mean he didn't quit.

I'm not sure why some are so obsessed with blaming Walters/O'Shea on this, when it's pretty clear Thorpe quit.

They've brought plenty of players back that they've released or let go.

31 minutes ago, JCon said:

The Bombers released him from his PR contract but that doesn't mean he didn't quit.

I'm not sure why some are so obsessed with blaming Walters/O'Shea on this, when it's pretty clear Thorpe quit.

They've brought plenty of players back that they've released or let go.

and if he had simply been patient and gone on the PR for a week or two he'd be a staple on the offense right now. Some guys just don't want to wait for their chances. 

I think the reason people are annoyed re Thorpe, is that he showed that he was a better player than some of the people lining up now. He contributed more on the field.

Specially in the category  "passing short of the first down marker, and make tough yards after the catch"

Cause he did that well. The guy was a good player. On the field, played hard. 

and I don't care if other teams haven't picked him up. Maybe they don't need someone in his position. the "why hasn't some other team picked him up" argument is stupid.

I am not questioning the team in not getting him back, but I definitely understand why people miss Thorpe.

And I do not think there is anything wrong with questioning player decisions this team has made.

There are some examples of bad decisions, this season, where the detractors were proven right. 

Maybe they made the wrong decision sitting Thorpe.

Edited by Mark F
edited

11 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I think the reason people are annoyed re Thorpe, is that he showed that he was a better player than some of the people lining up now. He contributed more on the field.

Specially in the category  "passing short of the first down marker, and make tough yards after the catch"

Cause he did that well. The guy was a good player. On the field, played hard. 

and I don't care if other teams haven't picked him up. Maybe they don't need someone in his position. the "why hasn't some other team picked him up" argument is stupid.

I am not questioning the team in not getting him back, but I definitely understand why people miss Thorpe.

And I do not think there is anything wrong with questioning player decisions this team has made.

There are some examples of bad decisions, this season, where the detractors were proven right. 

Maybe they made the wrong decision sitting Thorpe.

I would have prefered Thorpe over Lankford, but Osh loves him some ST, which Lankford was offering,  tho iirc Thorpe was also being looked at as a primary returner before he got hurt in TC,  guess that didn't pan out.

all in all I still think we should have swung a trade with the Als for Jackson,  originally as a replacement for Dressler,  now as one for Adams,  and eventually get all 3 in the line up for the playoffs, but that boat has sailed

14 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Sorry to state the obvious, but isn't that what any agent is supposed to do?

Obviously but to what extent?  You want to get a deal done thats mutually beneficial and form a relationship that will be lasting... not try and grab the team by the balls and make them break.  

7 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I would have prefered Thorpe over Lankford, but Osh loves him some ST, which Lankford was offering,  tho iirc Thorpe was also being looked at as a primary returner before he got hurt in TC,  guess that didn't pan out.

all in all I still think we should have swung a trade with the Als for Jackson,  originally as a replacement for Dressler,  now as one for Adams,  and eventually get all 3 in the line up for the playoffs, but that boat has sailed

IMO it was Flanders versus Thorpe.  Flanders was just as effective as Thorpe, if not more so.  He also backed up Harris and bided his time without complaint.  He was doing the same things Thorpe was doing.  He wasn't a receiver who could play the speedster wide out spot so its not a Lankford versus Thorpe thing.

6 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

IMO it was Flanders versus Thorpe.  Flanders was just as effective as Thorpe, if not more so.  He also backed up Harris and bided his time without complaint.  He was doing the same things Thorpe was doing.  He wasn't a receiver who could play the speedster wide out spot so its not a Lankford versus Thorpe thing.

it might not have been a direct Thorpe vs Lankford competition,  but IMO I'd have moved Denmark into Lankfords spot and Thorpe into Denmarks in the middle.  Flanders still sees the field as long as thorpe is replacing someone and roster spot wise I'd have sooner taken out Lankford. Even if Lankford has the speed to play the wide out spot,  he's not very good. 

9 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

This is really what it is. Lankford and Thorpe weren't ever competing for the same spot. Lankford is the speed guy that Lapo loves to have but never really uses, Thorpe and Flanders were the guys in direct competition, so did the team make the wrong choice? Flanders did a hell of a lot of good for this team before getting hurt. Thorpe just needed to check his ego and be patient and then when opportunity came around done enough to make it impossible to take him out. Guy quit so **** him. Next man up. 

1 minute ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

it might not have been a direct Thorpe vs Lankford competition,  but IMO I'd have moved Denmark into Lankfords spot and Thorpe into Denmarks in the middle.  Flanders still sees the field as long as thorpe is replacing someone and roster spot wise I'd have sooner taken out Lankford. Even if Lankford has the speed to play the wide out spot,  he's not very good. 

I think Denmark wouldn't have slotted in there either tbh.  Lankford's speed is used as a decoy as much as it is to move the ball me thinks.  well, in theory anyway.  Lankford being stone hands when it comes to receiving (which makes my head hurt as he is pretty sure handed on the returns) makes the likelihood of him being an effective decoy pretty narrow.  We need a burner who  catches the ball and makes team pay.  Lankford hasn't been that guy.  I wish we had the capacity to keep him on as a return man AND field another receiver who is the burner speed guy..

25 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

This is really what it is. Lankford and Thorpe weren't ever competing for the same spot. Lankford is the speed guy that Lapo loves to have but never really uses, Thorpe and Flanders were the guys in direct competition, so did the team make the wrong choice? Flanders did a hell of a lot of good for this team before getting hurt. Thorpe just needed to check his ego and be patient and then when opportunity came around done enough to make it impossible to take him out. Guy quit so **** him. Next man up. 

If we're looking at it as straight up Flanders vs Thorpe... then I would agree the team absolutely made the right decision... I just wish they could've found a way to keep em all... IMO our offense has looked the best this year when all of Flanders, Thorpe and Harris were in the line-up...

3 minutes ago, bearpants said:

If we're looking at it as straight up Flanders vs Thorpe... then I would agree the team absolutely made the right decision... I just wish they could've found a way to keep em all... IMO our offense has looked the best this year when all of Flanders, Thorpe and Harris were in the line-up...

this is the truth of it right here.   having 3 guys who can all catch, run, grind for yards and block was awesome but it was next to impossible to find a way to get them all on the field, all get touches and all stay happy.  2, no problem. 3 and you are handcuffing your offense..  I'm sure there was an offensive set out there that could have made it work but Lapo wasn't trying to incorporate that me thinks.. if Thorpe didn't become a petulant child and demand more playing time, maybe next training camp they could have changed the offense to cater to that but now.. no point.

2 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

this is the truth of it right here.   having 3 guys who can all catch, run, grind for yards and block was awesome but it was next to impossible to find a way to get them all on the field, all get touches and all stay happy.  2, no problem. 3 and you are handcuffing your offense..  I'm sure there was an offensive set out there that could have made it work but Lapo wasn't trying to incorporate that me thinks.. if Thorpe didn't become a petulant child and demand more playing time, maybe next training camp they could have changed the offense to cater to that but now.. no point.

If Dressler retires in the off-season the opportunity arises again, I don't expect to see Thorpe return but it's not difficult to find a player in that style and plug him in.  It might even be a good fit for a Natl. like Demski or Shaq Murray–Lawrence if available.

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

If Dressler retires in the off-season the opportunity arises again, I don't expect to see Thorpe return but it's not difficult to find a player in that style and plug him in.  It might even be a good fit for a Natl. like Demski or Shaq Murray–Lawrence if available.

yup I could see Demski in the same role as Thorpe was this season.  thru the middle, hard yards, breaking tackles.   IF Lapo is still here and IF he wants to keep with the dink/dunk style offense.. I'd think this would be a wise choice.