Talks with Mulumba

Booch

6 minutes ago, mbrg said:

So I'll just pretend talking about Mulamba is still a thing...

For Mulamba to really help us we need him here now.  There seems to be a 4 game transition period for DE's coming from the NFL (see Westerman, Okpaluago), so if we want him to be an impact player for us in the playoffs, that transition period needs to start soon.

Even if he came tomorrow, he'd be a next-year project, likely....

7 hours ago, Mark F said:

I think the reason people are annoyed re Thorpe, is that he showed that he was a better player than some of the people lining up now. He contributed more on the field.

Specially in the category  "passing short of the first down marker, and make tough yards after the catch"

Cause he did that well. The guy was a good player. On the field, played hard. 

and I don't care if other teams haven't picked him up. Maybe they don't need someone in his position. the "why hasn't some other team picked him up" argument is stupid.

I am not questioning the team in not getting him back, but I definitely understand why people miss Thorpe.

And I do not think there is anything wrong with questioning player decisions this team has made.

There are some examples of bad decisions, this season, where the detractors were proven right. 

Maybe they made the wrong decision sitting Thorpe.

I think they made the wrong decision. Thorpe looked immensely better than Lankford at receiver IMHO and who knows how Thorpe might have fared on returns? But Thorpe quit on his teammates so, fuera de aquí hombre. 

6 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

I think they made the wrong decision. Thorpe looked immensely better than Lankford at receiver IMHO and who knows how Thorpe might have fared on returns? But Thorpe quit on his teammates so, fuera de aquí hombre. 

Different receiver roles tho.

3 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Seriously?

Lankford has played all his snaps (that I remember) at wide receiver.

Thorpe played all his snaps (that I remember) at slotback.

Thorpe lost his job to Flanders.

When the motherloving peach schnapps will this stop?

ya it is starting to border on insanity levels..

I mean, I'm all for debate but people gotta stop this Lankford for Thorpe crap.

it was Flanders for Thorpe.. and it would be Givens for Lankford.    now debate that away..

just not in this post (anymore!) as this is supposed to be about us bringing a canadian DE drafted by us home and the struggle to do so. 

Edited by SPuDS
cuz tired and poor typing skillz

2 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

it was Flanders for Thorpe.. and it would be Givens for Lankford.    now debate that away..

just no in this post as this is supposed to be about us bringing a canadian DE drafted by us home and the struggle to do so. 

For bringing him home, I would say let the contract happen in the off season when they can get a better feel for what is happening. This will also allow for his agent to go get his CFL licensing taken care of or maybe he will get an agent who knows how the CFL works. In the end it is not the player trashtalking the CFL it is his agent who does not know how things work and is trying to play hardball before reading the rule book.

Just now, Engelwood said:

For bringing him home, I would say let the contract happen in the off season when they can get a better feel for what is happening. This will also allow for his agent to go get his CFL licensing taken care of or maybe he will get an agent who knows how the CFL works. In the end it is not the player trashtalking the CFL it is his agent who does not know how things work and is trying to play hardball before reading the rule book.

not a terrible idea really.  I dunno how that will sit with Mulamba and his agent but might not be the worst idea.

4 minutes ago, Engelwood said:

Hmm, he might want to give Johnny Manziel a call for strategic negotiation pointers.

24 minutes ago, Engelwood said:

But can Mulumba's mind for international business wait that long????

22 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

Isn't it a very similar situation to Westerman?  I thought they played the same position in the NFL.

Mulumba is a tweener and has been since college. Westerman was a thorough breed  pass rusher in college and in the nfl was a pass rushing LBer/de. Mulumba doesnt have near the polished pass rush techniques or skill set. Same amount of college years/games 4.5 sacks to 26. 4.5 tackles for a loss, to 45. In westermans stint in the NFL he recorded more sacks then mulumba has combined between the nfl and college. Westerman was incredible in his combination of athleticism and pass rush skill. Athletically and physically mulumba is similar to westerman. But at the same token athletically and size wise corney dwarfs both a great deal. But hes another guy who didnt come turn key with pass rushing skills. 

Westerman has an absurdly explosive ability to get off the ball. A lot of his career sacks are made with his first step. Its also why his production dipped after the first year. Teams cant play him straight up and aggressive. 

7 hours ago, SPuDS said:

IMO it was Flanders versus Thorpe.  Flanders was just as effective as Thorpe, if not more so.  He also backed up Harris and bided his time without complaint.  He was doing the same things Thorpe was doing.  He wasn't a receiver who could play the speedster wide out spot so its not a Lankford versus Thorpe thing.

Thorpe could play the speedster role, thats the skill set and rep he came to the team with. He was brought into camp as much as a return man as any thing. Lankford doesnt do any thing thorpe cant.  Flanders is very much a stand alone in our offense. An X factor. Plop has been trying to hammer a ton of different players into that flanker role. Smith, dressler, denmark, adams probably every import pass rusher got a turn at that smith package. But none made it work like flanders. He is as unique in that position, and un challenge as harris is as our tail back. 

The loss of the threat of flanders, the confusion and miss match he was to defenses is a much larger loss then his stats would indicate. 

52 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

just not in this post (anymore!) as this is supposed to be about us bringing a canadian DE drafted by us home and the struggle to do so. 

Positions at wr are far more fluid then people give them credit. Darvin adams recently touched on it on an OB pre game show, and givens as well in his recent interview on BB.com I believe his quote was some thing like im ready to step in at any position any time they need me. 

Lankford also came out of the slot for atleast 3 of his carries and 1 missed deep ball. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Hes thew new pat barnes, or maybe tony ortiz. :lol:  Givens might (and i hope) bring about a fog of forgetfulness when it comes to thorpe. 

We're pretty desperate for reasons to hope at the wide receiver position. It wouldn't take too much for Givens to endear himself to the faithful.

10 hours ago, tracker said:

We're pretty desperate for reasons to hope at the wide receiver position. It wouldn't take too much for Givens to endear himself to the faithful.

Ya we are.  While we are talking about retreads, didnt ricky collins just get cut by the tabbies? Weve gotten a few kicks in at our self over him, wouldnt mind round 2 with him. Also a guy who can return kicks/punts.  Guys like collins, and martese jackson a part of why the likes of thorpe will be re hashed a lot. Not as much at the thought that we walked away from a more talented player then we roster, but that he might come back to another team and make the move look bad. 

Edited by wbbfan

4 hours ago, mbrg said:

Seriously?

Lankford has played all his snaps (that I remember) at wide receiver.

Thorpe played all his snaps (that I remember) at slotback.

Thorpe lost his job to Flanders.

When the motherloving peach schnapps will this stop?

Steady on old chap - it's quite possible that Thorpe could play wide receiver. Now pass some of your old lady's peach schnapps...

9 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I may be off topic but whatever happened to Ladarius Vann?

:lol: Wasnt he dave ritchies guy? I wanna say went to his alma mater. Also think he had some real bad drops.

While we are at it, i still think jace davis got short changed in the offensive change over here.