Rules question

Jaxon

Bombers miss the winning FG. Argos punt the ball out.  I couldn’t see it but they said it was punted out of bounds.   I thought punting out of bounds was illegal, other than inside the 20 yard line.   Does anyone know if it landed in and bounced out?   

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

It bounced out

Did it?  TSNs camera work and camera selection was garbage at the end.  Looked like we missed the FG by 2 ft, and the ball must have bounced on the yard markers or out of bounds, but can't tell from the video.

2 minutes ago, ALuCsRED said:

Did it?  TSNs camera work and camera selection was garbage at the end.  Looked like we missed the FG by 2 ft, and the ball must have bounced on the yard markers or out of bounds, but can't tell from the video.

Yes it bounced out. It was a perfect kick, really, and the Argos played the situation extremely well. They are playing quite well for Mark Trestman and I think he deserves credit for getting the Argos to where they are. They were also ready for our hurry-up and the few times we tried to catch them they were ready. Their one glaring weakness was a lack of discipline resulting in some bad penalties.

2 hours ago, J5V said:

Yes it bounced out. It was a perfect kick, really, and the Argos played the situation extremely well. They are playing quite well for Mark Trestman and I think he deserves credit for getting the Argos to where they are. They were also ready for our hurry-up and the few times we tried to catch them they were ready. Their one glaring weakness was a lack of discipline resulting in some bad penalties.

The in season turn around hamilton, toronto, and the riders have seen this year is incredible. 

14 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

Medlock was too distraught from missing the kick to worry about trying to grab the ball again while it bounced out of bounds.

Even when he made that late one he looked like he was going to cry. Im assuming his mental toughness is high, but it sure didnt look like it yesterday. 

On 10/21/2017 at 6:37 PM, Blueandgold said:

Medlock was too distraught from missing the kick to worry about trying to grab the ball again while it bounced out of bounds.

dunno if he would have made it over there in time regardless, it was a very well placed punt.

27 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

dunno if he would have made it over there in time regardless, it was a very well placed punt.

Yeah that punt was damned good. Because of the camera work I was wondering if it had gone straight out of bounds, but it had to have bounced awfully close to the sidelines and honestly when a guy punts on the run you have no idea how far that thing is going to go downfield. 

On 10/21/2017 at 5:27 PM, Jaxon said:

Bombers miss the winning FG. Argos punt the ball out.  I couldn’t see it but they said it was punted out of bounds.   I thought punting out of bounds was illegal, other than inside the 20 yard line.   Does anyone know if it landed in and bounced out?   

In retrospect, we should have punted. :-)

Just now, 17to85 said:

Yeah that punt was damned good. Because of the camera work I was wondering if it had gone straight out of bounds, but it had to have bounced awfully close to the sidelines and honestly when a guy punts on the run you have no idea how far that thing is going to go downfield. 

the clip that showed Medlock's face falling when he realized he missed.. then tried to run over to field the punt, showed it bouncing probably 2-2.5 yards from the side of the line.. it was pretty on point. surprised how nice it was placed.

4 hours ago, SPuDS said:

the clip that showed Medlock's face falling when he realized he missed.. then tried to run over to field the punt, showed it bouncing probably 2-2.5 yards from the side of the line.. it was pretty on point. surprised how nice it was placed.

Obviously I need a better TV set or a better imagination, TSN never showed the ball landing in any of their shots.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:27 PM, Jaxon said:

I saw someone on twitter mention the punt from the end zone can go out of bounds in the air, that the rules specifically state that it's illegal to punt out of bounds in the air between the 20's on a punt from scrimmage, so the punt out of the end zone wouldn't apply. I haven't verified any of that though.

*edit* here's the phrasing from the rulebook

"Punt Out of Bounds in Flight if a kick from scrimmage is found to have

gone directly out of bounds between the 20 yard lines"

Edited by brett_c_b

17 hours ago, brett_c_b said:

I saw someone on twitter mention the punt from the end zone can go out of bounds in the air, that the rules specifically state that it's illegal to punt out of bounds in the air between the 20's on a punt from scrimmage, so the punt out of the end zone wouldn't apply. I haven't verified any of that though.

*edit* here's the phrasing from the rulebook

"Punt Out of Bounds in Flight if a kick from scrimmage is found to have

gone directly out of bounds between the 20 yard lines"

Also, the punt from the end zone was not "from scrimmage", so I don't see any rule prohibiting a kick out of bounds, from anywhere on the field, as long as it's not from scrimmage.

I have another rules question/point that I want to tag on here....

Argo is returning a missed field goal, still in the end zone and there is an illegal block up field, preventing that Argo being tackled in the end zone. I think, on that play, the Bombers should have gotten a point because the foul prevented a Bomber from tackling the Argo in the end zone.

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

Also, the punt from the end zone was not "from scrimmage", so I don't see any rule prohibiting a kick out of bounds, from anywhere on the field, as long as it's not from scrimmage.

I have another rules question/point that I want to tag on here....

Argo is returning a missed field goal, still in the end zone and there is an illegal block up field, preventing that Argo being tackled in the end zone. I think, on that play, the Bombers should have gotten a point because the foul prevented a Bomber from tackling the Argo in the end zone.

except, wasn't there a foul by the bombers on that play as well?   or am I confusing it with a different play..