The Next Two Games

BBRT

3 minutes ago, tracker said:

I think what "house money" means is that no matter what happens this season, the Rider faithful will applaud like trained seals and Jones will return next year to bring all those special qualities that we have all grown to love back to the Riders and CFL.

So no change from Rider fan behaviour at any point. 

2 hours ago, Judd said:

Yeah I tend to agree as well. Panic is an overstatement because 2 games to lock up a home playoff game is a pretty good situation, never mind being able to clinch with one Edmonton loss over two games. But a loss will start raising more eyebrows.

Panic stations, no, but concern will definitely be warranted. Going into the playoffs after a series of bad games is not good for confidence.

Cryders keep on trotting out this "rebuild" language, like it is an acceptable and necessary move on their part. Who's to say that they wouldn't have reached the unremarkable level they currently sit at, by making less drastic change than they have over the past few years.

Just because you choose to gut a team of its existing players doesn't mean that management shouldn't be held accountable for wins and losses. Once they have to pay market value for next year's QB, you will see many of the other more costly pieces on their roster not being resigned. Looking forward to seeing who won't be back from the current roster if they have to fork out for Franklin, Collaros, Lulay, etc

I hate the riders as much as the next guy... but @mfranc is right.. the expectation for them was to fight to stay out of the basement this year... they've not only secured a playoff spot, but still have a chance for 3rd in the west and will likely get to double digit wins tonight... in our second year of a massive rebuild we were 5-13...

Just now, bearpants said:

I hate the riders as much as the next guy... but @mfranc is right.. the expectation for them was to fight to stay out of the basement this year... they've not only secured a playoff spot, but still have a chance for 3rd in the west and will likely get to double digit wins tonight... in our second year of a massive rebuild we were 5-13...

I guess the question then becomes...so what?

42 minutes ago, bearpants said:

yeah but when was the Bombers 2nd year of a massive rebuild? 1997? 2000?  2006? 2011? 2015? Sad fact is that the Bombers have been shooting themselves in the foot for so long that we've essentially been constantly rebuilding for 2 decades. 

31 minutes ago, bearpants said:

If not for the crossover rule, they'd be out of contention and one position above the basement, though. No doubt it's an improvement but the Riders still have a losing record within the division, so this idea they're playing with house money seems a bit silly. Even more so when you consider their situation beyond the 2017 season. One has to wonder if what's being done there is sustainable.

As for the Bombers, in year 2 under the current regime Walters and O'Shea were both sophomore GM and HC, respectively. While Jones is a sophomore GM, this is technically his fourth season as a HC. Bit of a different situation when you look at the two closely.