Leo's @ Bombers: Nail In Buono's Coffin Edition

USABomberfan

8 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

There's no sleeping on anyone when the Eskos could still win their last two, though I hope Calgary blasts them on Saturday regardless of our game's outcome.

I would be nervous about the Stamps blasting anyone at this point, especially a decent team like the Esks.  Don't wake the beast.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

28 minutes ago, Noeller said:

WBB FC is pissed off about last week and will come out flying...

I tend to agree  and think this an absolute must win. Really do not want to go into Calgary and need the win. Even if Calgary rests their entire team we never seem to have much luck in Cowtown.

5 minutes ago, BBRT said:

I tend to agree  and think this an absolute must win. Really do not want to go into Calgary and need the win. Even if Calgary rests their entire team we never seem to have much luck in Cowtown.

"Must win" might be the most overused term on this board. At this point we have one "must win" game: and that's not for another 3 weeks.

Edited by Judd

9 minutes ago, Judd said:

"Must win" might be the most overused term on this board. At this point we have one "must win" game: and that's not for another 3 weeks.

well, fwiw, Andrew Harris says it is.........but whatever. It's all moot...I firmly believe they'll get it done tomorrow.

28 minutes ago, Judd said:

I think tomorrow's game is a must-win for the Bombers, as they need to bounce back from last week's loss and close out the home schedule on a high note, as well as secure that home playoff game (I'd rather not see them get that game by having to rely on an opponent losing). It's also a should-win simply based on the opponent: the Lions are licking their wounds and are now only playing for pride and evaluation for next season. While the Bombers can't take them lightly, they should be able to take full advantage of a team in 2018 Mode and take care of their own business on home turf.

Also, I think it goes without saying that a playoff game is a must-win for the Bombers. That's the next step in moving forward for the current regime.

1 hour ago, Judd said:

sure, in the literal sense of the term... it is not absolutely "must win" or we're eliminated type of situation... but for morale and momentum, showing up and putting up a big win tomorrow would be massive to get this team on track for the playoffs...

I'll be sad to see Wally go. He's like Don Matthews, a CFL legend, and he kept half the league supplied with quarterbacks during the late nineties / early oughts.  20 playoff years in 22 years plus more Grey Cups on his resume than the entire Saskatchewan franchise.  To top it off, open-heart surgery in the middle of it all.

As a fan of the Bombers I was intensely jealous of his success, as a fan of the league I thought he made it better. If he does step aside, then congrats to him on an amazing career and a well-deserved retirement. 

Edited by johnzo

2 hours ago, Judd said:

Well heck yes! under your philosophy there never is a must win game! There is always next year and then the year after that - ad Nauseam! For me I am drawing the line in the sand. This IMHO is a "Must Win Game" for all the reasons others have posted.

Maybe we should think of it as an "Aw Sucks Game - Kinda of nice to win - sorta of would be nice!

Ugh!

19 minutes ago, BBRT said:

Well heck yes! under your philosophy there never is a must win game! There is always next year and then the year after that - ad Nauseam! For me I am drawing the line in the sand. This IMHO is a "Must Win Game" for all the reasons others have posted.

Maybe we should think of it as an "Aw Sucks Game - Kinda of nice to win - sorta of would be nice!

Ugh!

Yup, that's exactly what I said! As a bomber fan I certainly also wish that we had lost those other 11 games too 

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

I'll be sad to see Wally go. He's like Don Matthews, a CFL legend, and he kept half the league supplied with quarterbacks during the late nineties / early oughts.  20 playoff years in 22 years in BC plus a great record in Calgary that I'm too lazy to look up, plus more Grey Cups on his resume than the entire Saskatchewan franchise.  To top it off, open-heart surgery in the middle of it all.

As a fan of the Bombers I was intensely jealous of his success, as a fan of the league I thought he made it better. If he does step aside, then congrats to him on an amazing career and a well-deserved retirement. 

BC sucks

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

I'll be sad to see Wally go. He's like Don Matthews, a CFL legend, and he kept half the league supplied with quarterbacks during the late nineties / early oughts.  20 playoff years in 22 years in BC plus a great record in Calgary that I'm too lazy to look up, plus more Grey Cups on his resume than the entire Saskatchewan franchise.  To top it off, open-heart surgery in the middle of it all.

The one big difference between Wally and the Don is that everybody who knew and knows him speaks highly of him as a person.  A great human being as well as a legend.  I thought he played the game and coached the game the right away throughout.

10 minutes ago, MC said:

The one big difference between Wally and the Don is that everybody who knew and knows him speaks highly of him as a person.  A great human being as well as a legend.  I thought he played the game and coached the game the right away throughout.

Don Matthews played?     ^_^

1 minute ago, J5V said:

Don Matthews played?     ^_^

I was talking about Buono.  I never heard anyone speak highly about Matthews as a person.  Matthews was a great coach and completely changed the way defense was played for two decades, but that is where the admiration stops.

9 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I could see nichols having his best game of the year maybe his career. Ol is banged up though they have under performed this year. 

OL has been really good this year...don't look at sacks as much as pressures. Pressures have been really low (lowest or among lowest in the league?) and that's all that really matters. I don't think Nichols has a career game, because he's missing too many pieces, but he'll do what he does and basically will the team to a win as much as he can...

16 hours ago, BBRT said:

Ugh!

The thing is must-win could have any number of connotations associated with it.

The most obvious one is must-win to make the playoffs which is not the case  this time obviously.

You could make a case that it's must-win to ensure we secure the 12th win and thereby get a little extra time to prepare for the playoffs.  But of course if Calgary whoops Edmonton tonight, it's all settled anyway.

I think the most important thing is that it's must-win for the sake of making sure our playoff entrance isn't made 100℅ just on backing in.  Have a little confidence so we can come out swinging against the Ridirts or Eskos and bury them.

Edited by USABomberfan

14 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

The thing is must-win could have any number of connotations associated with it.

The most obvious one is must-win to make the playoffs which is not the case  this time obviously.

You could make a case that it's must-win to ensure we secure the 12th win and thereby get a little extra time to prepare for the playoffs.  But of course if Calgary whoops Edmonton tonight, it's all settled anyway.

I would prefer to win and see Calgary get whomped again. The more that team can trend down until the West final - the better.

20 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Likely win... Should win... Sure. Must win, not even close. 

This game may or may not mean anything at all in the standings depending on if Edmonton can beat Calgary. 

My point on  this being a "Must Win Game" is not related to standings etc. I understand full well that the Bombers can lose today - lose in Calgary etc. and regardless of what happens elsewhere will be in a play off game. My thoughts on why IMHO it is a must win game is more related to confidence and setting the table for success in the playoffs. There comes a time when you just have to stand up and take a stand. Backing into the playoffs is not taking a positive approach. Time to man up - get the win and set the table for a positive run in the playoffs.