Is it Time to quit "Dissing" Chris Jones

BigBlue

19 hours ago, BigBlue said:

I probably need to put on a helmet for this topic: there are just too many Rider haters on this site to not have extra protection.

The way the season started out this year it made Jones look like a complete fool - - the house cleaning looked like a merry-go-round leading to nowhere but a repeating loop like ground hog day. But Jones has assembled a reasonable set of  talent that can challenge anyone on any given Sunday .... he just might know what he is  doing. He is actually earning my respect.

And while I still have my helmet on, I must say, I am enjoying watching Duran Carter. My  respect for him, too, is greatly  on the rise after watching him play defense when Jones needed it. He may have a big yap, but when he backs it up with great play, I think its funny, gratifying funny.

That's how the football bounces ... who would have thunk it?

1.  Well newsflash, what Bomber fan is going to bow down before the melonhead clowns?  I don't care if it's wearing blue and gold glasses or not, there's no place for it in WinningPeg (Yes I said it)

2.  Who gives a flying ****?  Deion Sanders did that all the time in the NFL, didn't make him any less of an arrogant SOB when he was playing, and Carter is still a POS.  I don't care what anyone says about his talents PERIOD!!

The difference between us and them is that we are rebuilding a whole new football paradigm, from Mr. Miller's work in the front office to the trainers and equipment handlers and everything in between from one homogenous brick to the next. Ours has taken longer but we're building more than just a football team, we're building a culture, the results of which will be apparent for many years to come. All they've done over there is gut a football team and rebuilt it with bits and pieces of whatever materials were handy at the time the sum of which is not greater than the parts.

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I suspect that if we had a Space Jam style situation where the Riders were playing for the fate of the planet, many of us would still cheer against the Riders.

I struggle to imagine anything more poetic and beautiful than the thought of the Riders letting down every man, woman, and child on Earth.

Edited by yogi
stupid autocorrect

12 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

ATM Riders are my pick for GC.

Well it's a good thing you are wrong.

They'll run through east and with the way Calgary is playing lately....

Well that good- cuz it ain't gonna be Calgary in the GC game, it's gonna be the  Blue and Gold.

Also, Riderforum is          11949849001171574490direction_a_suivre_1

hell-610x222.jpg

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

5 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

GM/Coaches like Chris Jones and Trestman and Popp are proving it doesn't take 3 years to rebuild a team into playoff or even Grey Cup contender.  Jones accomplished this feat in 1.5 years while Trestman and Popp appear to have accomplished this in a half year in Toronto.

True. Sad, but true, dammit.

3 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

GM/Coaches like Chris Jones and Trestman and Popp are proving it doesn't take 3 years to rebuild a team into playoff or even Grey Cup contender.  Jones accomplished this feat in 1.5 years while Trestman and Popp appear to have accomplished this in a half year in Toronto.

4 minutes ago, tracker said:

True. Sad, but true, dammit.

Totally different situations. Damn, why doesn't anyone understand this?

19 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Totally different situations. Damn, why doesn't anyone understand this?

Care to elaborate?  Jones came into a situation just as bad if not worse than Walter/O'Shea.  Aging team with no Canadian depth.

Trestman and Popp came on very late in the off-season in Toronto.  Remember how long it took ownership to fire Jim Barker.  The new manager and coach barely had any time to prepare for the draft and recruitment.  All the other teams had a head start.  

1 hour ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Care to elaborate?  Jones came into a situation just as bad if not worse than Walter/O'Shea.  Aging team with no Canadian depth.

Trestman and Popp came on very late in the off-season in Toronto.  Remember how long it took ownership to fire Jim Barker.  The new manager and coach barely had any time to prepare for the draft and recruitment.  All the other teams had a head start.  

Jones has experience as a defensive coordinator and  head coach.  Jones transplanted a championship coaching staff fresh off a grey cup win to asskachewan. He played fast and loose with the rooster rules and brought in questionable characters.

Trestman, nfl experience as OC, headcoach experience, has a hall of fame qb that is still playing at a high level. Has popp who is awesome at bringinh in talent.

The Bombers went the route of grooming a HC and GM. Osh had bellefueille and etch.  

12 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Jones has experience as a defensive coordinator and  head coach.  Jones transplanted a championship coaching staff fresh off a grey cup win to asskachewan. He played fast and loose with the rooster rules and brought in questionable characters.

Trestman, nfl experience as OC, headcoach experience, has a hall of fame qb that is still playing at a high level. Has popp who is awesome at bringinh in talent.

The Bombers went the route of grooming a HC and GM. Osh had bellefueille and etch.  

He did bring over the veteran coaching staff some of who had less experience than Bellefool and Etch who have been around for years.  By the way, O'shea is the one who chose to bring those two in just as he chose to bring in Hall.  Jones also had 0 experience as a GM and has managed to restock the cupboards in 2 off-seasons.  As for playing fast and loose with the rules, I would suggest all teams bend the rules.  It is only to what degree that each team does that is the question.   

Bringing in Trestman and Popp does not cancel out the shitshow that was the Argos off-season.  They barely had time to prepare being brought in as late as they were.  Wasn't Popp regarded as a failure around here not too long ago because of the lack of talent he brought to Montreal in recent years?  And now, he provides Toronto with a distinct advantage? OK...

The bombers did decide to groom a GM and HC indeed.  The reasons behind it are a subject to debate, in particular with Walters who has hired on a permanent basis after the "extensive search" in the 2013 off-season.  So far, it has yet to pay off after nearly 4 years and suspect depth at many positions.  We will see what happens in the playoffs, but if the Bombers are one and done, I suspect both Walters and O'Shea will have to make the Divisional Finals in 2018 at a bare minimum (whether that be by finishing first or winning in the division semi-final) to keep their jobs.

2 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Jones has experience as a defensive coordinator and  head coach.  Jones transplanted a championship coaching staff fresh off a grey cup win to asskachewan. He played fast   and loose with the rooster rules and brought in questionable characters.  Trestman, nfl experience as OC, headcoach experience, has a hall of fame qb that is still playing at a high level. Has popp who is awesome at bringing  in talent. The Bombers went the route of grooming a HC and GM. Osh had Bellefueille and etch.  

Bombers were not as destitute for player talent as the Riders, Hamilton or Toronto, but they went out and got the job done.

3 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

He did bring over the veteran coaching staff some of who had less experience than Bellefool and Etch who have been around for years.  By the way, O'shea is the one who chose to bring those two in just as he chose to bring in Hall.  Jones also had 0 experience as a GM and has managed to restock the cupboards in 2 off-seasons.  As for playing fast and loose with the rules, I would suggest all teams bend the rules.  It is only to what degree that each team does that is the question.   

Bringing in Trestman and Popp does not cancel out the shitshow that was the Argos off-season.  They barely had time to prepare being brought in as late as they were.  Wasn't Popp regarded as a failure around here not too long ago because of the lack of talent he brought to Montreal in recent years?  And now, he provides Toronto with a distinct advantage? OK...

The bombers did decide to groom a GM and HC indeed.  The reasons behind it are a subject to debate, in particular with Walters who has hired on a permanent basis after the "extensive search" in the 2013 off-season.  So far, it has yet to pay off after nearly 4 years and suspect depth at many positions.  We will see what happens in the playoffs, but if the Bombers are one and done, I suspect both Walters and O'Shea will have to make the Divisional Finals in 2018 at a bare minimum (whether that be by finishing first or winning in the division semi-final) to keep their jobs.

I absolutely agree with you - totally different situations. 

2 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I absolutely agree with you - totally different situations. 

Yes, those teams were worse off than the Bombers in 2013:)

Speaking of which, Ottawa started from nothing and went 12-6 in their second season and made it to the Grey Cup.  Then they fought through several injuries the following season and won the Grey Cup in their third season.  Edmonton was in a similarly dire situation in 2012 with Tillman and Reed.  Sub .500 season.  Get rid of Tillman and hire Hervey.  Fire Reed the next season.  Post a winning season and make the West Finals in 2014 and follow that up with a Grey Cup in 2015.  So the Edmonton rebuild took 2 years and the team was a Grey Cup champion in year 3.

It's been proven time and time again.  Rebuilds in the CFL do not take that long.  

Back to Jones.  He is a ****, but a winning ****.  Much rather have that than a losing **** like Joe Mack who is once again showing his shoddy recruiting skills with the 3-14 Als this season.

2 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Yes, those teams were worse off than the Bombers in 2013:)

Speaking of which, Ottawa started from nothing and went 12-6 in their second season and made it to the Grey Cup.  Then they fought through several injuries the following season and won the Grey Cup in their third season.  Edmonton was in a similarly dire situation in 2012 with Tillman and Reed.  Sub .500 season.  Get rid of Tillman and hire Hervey.  Fire Reed the next season.  Post a winning season and make the West Finals in 2014 and follow that up with a Grey Cup in 2015.  So the Edmonton rebuild took 2 years and the team was a Grey Cup champion in year 3.

It's been proven time and time again.  Rebuilds in the CFL do not take that long.  

Back to Jones.  He is a ****, but a winning ****.  Much rather have that than a losing **** like Joe Mack who is once again showing his shoddy recruiting skills with the 3-14 Als this season.

Most coaches and GMs have something to recommend them- personality, football smarts, experience, a sense of humour, etc, but Joe Mack had none of the above.