Game 12 : Stars

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

I get you have a huge hate on for the goalie coach, but this criticism makes no sense.  I've never seen you or anyone criticize the team for all the work Scheifele does on his own to better his career, he is applauded for it.

These players are the elite of the elite.  If they don't have the drive and want to continue to improve on their own during the off season, most don't stay in the league long term. 

You must be testy this morning (or so).  I dont hate the goalie coach.  Can you imagine hating the goalie coach? lol  How weird would that be.  Why would I criticize the team for Scheif's off-ice work?  I fail to see the connection... Do you love the goalie coach?

Are you suggesting if Helle didnt go to that camp this summer that it means he doesnt have drive?  Does it mean he only had drive this year (presumably he did not attend that camp last year).

I made the point that Helle showed initiative.  I didnt mention Flaherty.  Who said anything about not having drive?  I said the opposite by pointing out he took the camp on his own. 

8 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Well sure, if the goalie starts playing worse, the team will struggle more.  I think that's true of every team.

Make no mistake, this team is not dominant by any stretch.  But they're better than last year and trending up.  Whether they've "turned a corner" or not... I don't know.  I'm not sure what that means or what that would look like. 

Teams don't just change overnight.  That's why I thought all the panic after 2 games was so silly.  Three week training camp and the team hasn't completely erased all their issues?  Shocking!  But they've gotten steadily better as the season has rolled on and that's what matters.

They played poor in more than two games though.  I agree, panic is silly.  Its the same as planning the parade after a good game (like in Toronto).  But its not the losing, its the way they lost.  Helle is playing lights out though.  If he just played average, are we better than last year?  Because I think we make the playoffs last year if we get league average goaltending. 

Im not sure we know what this team is yet.  Im anxiously awaiting 20 games to really have a solid snap shot of this team.  But Maurice's past failings will hang over him until the team shows something in the playoffs.  I think everyone has raised the expectation now where making the playing is a must.  If they dont make the playoffs, regardless of why, I cant see Maurice being retained.  Im not sure how successful they have to be in the playoffs.  If they lose a great first round in 7 games thats not necessarily doom & gloom, especially since they have yet to win a single playoff game! lol

I still think the hysteria after 2 games was justified. The team looked putrid, particularly in the areas we were told were focal points / keys to improve.

Most recognized 2 games is just that, 2 games. No disimilar to now.... 11 games is 11 games. Let’s hope we keep trending up... November’s been a bad month in past years.

Unrelated... what is Edm going to do with all those Stanley Cup parade plans they had for spring 2018? Looks like they may end up closer to picking first again.