2017 Team Awards

Rich

30 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

but Nichols is in a Lapo dink and dunk ball control offense, Reilly is in a Huck it! Chuck it! offense. easy to get more yards when your only real passing plays are heaving it deep. If Reilly had to throw 70% of his passes 5 yards or less things would look entirely different. 

ya but you and I both know the voters don't delve that deep into the scenarios.  they just see stats and their game highlights and go from there.

21 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Reilly and the Eskimos warrent the MOP.

They were crushing everyone before finally succumbing to their massive injuries for that skid in the middle of the season, but are now back to dominating. 

Reilly has had a phenomenal season. 

Did you actually watch them play or are you just looking at their record?

I don't believe beating the worst teams in the league by an average of 5 points qualifies as "crushing everyone".  Look at who they were "crushing" in those 1st 7 games  (BC x 2, Ottawa x  2, Hamilton x 2 & Montreal) and then look how close those games were.  Edmonton had the easiest start in the league and even then they barely squeaked by.  Kudos for them at one point being 7-0 but lets not pretend they were dominating.

A month ago, you could make a very good argument for Nichols over Reilly. I don't think you can now.

The higher completion percentage and the lower number of Int's is because of the number of short, uncontested passes that Nichols has thrown to RB's behind the LOS.  It's what PLAP's offence is based on. Voters will go with the big plays and will mostly ignore the Int's because they know that Reilly got a bunch of them when he was pushing for wins late and trying to will the team to win on his own when he only had Zylstra to throw to.

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

A month ago, you could make a very good argument for Nichols over Reilly. I don't think you can now.

The higher completion percentage and the lower number of Int's is because of the number of short, uncontested passes that Nichols has thrown to RB's behind the LOS.  It's what PLAP's offence is based on. Voters will go with the big plays and will mostly ignore the Int's because they know that Reilly got a bunch of them when he was pushing for wins late and trying to will the team to win on his own when he only had Zylstra to throw to.

A month ago, it was absolutely no question. Total no brainer. Now, after the last couple weeks, it's closer for sure. 

6 hours ago, Jesse said:

Reilly and the Eskimos warrent the MOP. They were crushing everyone before finally succumbing to their massive injuries for that skid in the middle of the season, but are now back to dominating.  Reilly has had a phenomenal season. 

The voters also have to take into account the gawdawful beating that Reilly has been taking for most of the season and still competed every game.

The two best races involve Bomber players.  The Harris/Singleton and Nichols/Reilly debates are both good ones.

Harris might have a shot because of the tendency to split the awards and Singleton could take the defensive award.

If the award was most valuable player to their team, the Nichols wins in a cake walk.  All you have to do is look at the last three quarters of the Hamilton and BC games and compare it the last three quarters of every other game the Bombers played and you see completely different teams.  With Nichols, the Bombers are able to overcome shortcomings everywhere and win 11 of 15 games.

But if they look to stats as the differentiator then Reilly wins.  Not really that bad an outcome anyway because he is the best player in the league.

8 minutes ago, Mark F said:

singleton defensive player of the year

harris outstanding canadian.

Harris  has an argument for mvp. He carried the team a few times when the offence sagged.

If there was an outstanding effort award, I'd give it to Harris. He has just killed himself this season.

Key there is it's not MVP........it's MOP......

On 11/1/2017 at 5:07 PM, MC said:

The two best races involve Bomber players.  The Harris/Singleton and Nichols/Reilly debates are both good ones.

Harris might have a shot because of the tendency to split the awards and Singleton could take the defensive award.

If the award was most valuable player to their team, the Nichols wins in a cake walk.  All you have to do is look at the last three quarters of the Hamilton and BC games and compare it the last three quarters of every other game the Bombers played and you see completely different teams.  With Nichols, the Bombers are able to overcome shortcomings everywhere and win 11 of 15 games.

But if they look to stats as the differentiator then Reilly wins.  Not really that bad an outcome anyway because he is the best player in the league.

I love Harris, I'm Blue through and through, but Singleton deserves both awards. He's consistently been lights out all year, almost every down he plays. The guy is a beast. 

Singleton is one of the most impressive newcomers to come into the league, no doubt. A real stud. And he should be rewarded,  but not for everything. One simply cannot dismiss what Harris has accomplished this year and what he has meant to our offence. He’s dynamic and a focal point in a lot of what we do. That makes him a target. A target for guys like Singleton. And yet Harris perseveres, against stacked odds. 

A team cannot target and go after Singleton. He’s a free flowing prototypical MLB. Trained in the US. A guy EVERY team would love to have, But Harris isn’t too shabby either, and faces greater roadblocks. He has to be in contention simply because he deserves it.

On 11/3/2017 at 1:07 PM, Mr Dee said:

Singleton is one of the most impressive newcomers to come into the league, no doubt. A real stud. And he should be rewarded,  but not for everything. One simply cannot dismiss what Harris has accomplished this year and what he has meant to our offence. He’s dynamic and a focal point in a lot of what we do. That makes him a target. A target for guys like Singleton. And yet Harris perseveres, against stacked odds. 

A team cannot target and go after Singleton. He’s a free flowing prototypical MLB. Trained in the US. A guy EVERY team would love to have, But Harris isn’t too shabby either, and faces greater roadblocks. He has to be in contention simply because he deserves it.

Yea I'm with you. I'm hoping for a Harris win as well, He's earned it, love they way he competes. He's up against one of the best players in the league right now, that's all.

50 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Leading the league in both rushing and receptions will definitely help Harris' case.  That is no small feat.

But Singleton has been an absolute superstar at MLB.  Both guys are deserving.

They're all winners in my books.  :) 

Yup and they both broke CFL records this year I believe. I think Harris may have an edge just due to his rushing title. But honestly, they are both deserving of MOCP. 

It actually goes to show you how impressive Alex Singleton's season has been... under normal circumstances, if a Canadian leads the league in rushing (or receiving) they are a lock to win the MOC... the fact that Singleton is in the running is all the more impressive...

I wonder if some voters might actually take into account that Harris is a "true" Canadian... rather than an American with citizenship... I doubt anyone admits it, but that might be a factor for some of the hard core CFL traditionalists...

1 minute ago, bearpants said:

I wonder if some voters might actually take into account that Harris is a "true" Canadian... rather than an American with citizenship... I doubt anyone admits it, but that might be a factor for some of the hard core CFL traditionalists...

Interesting thought.  There has always been an asterisk next to Cahoon's achievements as a "Canadian" in my mind - and maybe in others as well.  The Westermans as well.  They are great players but only had the designation because of a technicality.  It would be interesting to check back and see if there seems to be a biased over the years with this award.

Just now, M.O.A.B. said:

Are fans included in this All Star votations? or just the media and the players?

I believe media and players.  I think there is a second (more accurate one as well) set done by the CFLPA though. 

1 hour ago, MC said:

Interesting thought.  There has always been an asterisk next to Cahoon's achievements as a "Canadian" in my mind - and maybe in others as well.  The Westermans as well.  They are great players but only had the designation because of a technicality.  It would be interesting to check back and see if there seems to be a biased over the years with this award.

Westermans played high school football in Canada