2017 Team Awards

Rich

16 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Overlooked in all this: Dave Dickenson gets the West Div COTY nom over MOS.................discuss.

Its all about stats... Calgary was better in terms of record... Wpg and Edmonton were next... 

These awards are purely based on stats. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

COTY is based on reputation unless one team has a remarkable rags to riches story. 

Its all bout who had the better record.. 

In reality is should be Dickenson vs Oshea.. But for some dumb reason... CFL seems to think the West East thing matters more. 

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Its all bout who had the better record.. 

In reality is should be Dickenson vs Oshea.. But for some dumb reason... CFL seems to think the West East thing matters more. 

I dunno, I think Trestman deserves some props for what he did in Toronto this year as well. 

Oh well, the Bombers are always going to be criminally under rated around the rest of the country. 

they-hate-us-cause-they-aint-us-quote-2.

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I dunno, I think Trestman deserves some props for what he did in Toronto this year as well. 

Oh well, the Bombers are always going to be criminally under rated around the rest of the country. 

they-hate-us-cause-they-aint-us-quote-2.

For sure but... 12 and 6 vs 9 and 9 right. 

41 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

He’s the guardian of the league’s best roster.

Does that make him the best COTY candidate? Not to me. 

Jason Maas, Chris Jones and O’Shea are worthier candidates imo.

The recent 3 game slide and loss to rival Winnipeg makes Dickenson the loser and O'Shea the winner in my mind, but, oh well. Had that game been for 1st place maybe it would have been different. Trestman did more with less than Dickenson also.

My take on the contenders in order:

Trestman: Took over a train wreck after FA and turned into the #1 team in the East. Not a great record, but gotta give him some serious props for turning the franchise around in one year.

Dickenson: Got his team has the most wins again. This year he had to deal with bunches of injuries, including a dinged BLM for most of the season. 

Mass: Added 2 wins from last year to get his team to 12-6, tied for the second best record in the league and did it while dealing with the most man games lost to injury in the entire league.  

Jones: Doubled last years wins. Got his team to a playoff spot in the second season of their rebuild. Did it with the Rodney Dangerfield of CFL QB's, Glenn and Canuck QB Bridge. 

O'Shea: Added 1 win from last year to go 12-6, tied for the second best record in the league. Had the least man games lost to injury and the losses started pilling up when the injury bug finally hit.

12 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Trestman: Took over a train wreck after FA and turned into the #1 team in the East. Not a great record, but gotta give him some serious props for turning the franchise around in one year.

Dickenson: Got his team has the most wins again. This year he had to deal with bunches of injuries, including a dinged BLM for most of the season. 

Mass: Added 2 wins from last year to get his team to 12-6, tied for the second best record in the league and did it while dealing with the most man games lost to injury in the entire league.  

Jones: Doubled last years wins. Got his team to a playoff spot in the second season of their rebuild. Did it with the Rodney Dangerfield of CFL QB's, Glenn and Canuck QB Bridge. 

O'Shea: Added 1 win from last year to go 12-6, tied for the second best record in the league. Had the least man games lost to injury and the losses started pilling up when the injury bug finally hit.

Surprised you didn't put June Jones on that list ahead of O'Shea too.

Anything to downplay the Bombers and hype up everyone else. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Not surprised that your're whining about my opinion yet again or that you're making up stuff I didn't say.

FTR: June Jones? Half a year at about 50% wins... Nope.  Just nope.

Trestman has the most experience of the bunch as a HC and is a class act so the Argos improvement was somewhat expected.

Dickenson and Maas are former QBs so have a built-in advantage where offences and scoring points goes. But Maas is a head-case worse than Doug Berry ever was, lacks composure, self-control, any semblance of class, has questionable character, and sets a bad example for his underling coaches and players. He gets a fail. He's lucky he has a stacked stable of players. Dickenson strikes me as a bland, uninspiring individual. Lots of smarts but I don't know that he's the kind of coach players would run through a wall for. 3 losses to close out the season gives him a fail.

Jones is a scumbag. Fail.

O'Shea. Slowly but surely learning to be a head coach. I once stated that it'll take O'Shea 10 years to become a great coach and that was not a slight against him. A 5 year apprenticeship is pretty common among the trades and he is almost there. Another 5 years perfecting the art and developing his own style and I can see him being a Hugh Campbell. He was much better this year than last and to me the growth has been obvious. He still has a ways to go but his work ethic and smarts will get him there. He's not being out-coached with regularity as in the past and that is only going to get better. His players will go through a brick wall for him. That doesn't speak to their character as much as it does to his. 

He and Trestman are the two best head coaches in the league at this moment. I can see those two butting heads for years to come.

Go Blue!

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

What is it that you disagree with?

I personally thought he summed it up fairly well.

I realize we’ve had a good season. And for that we got second place and a home play off game. But coach of the year is about the best. MOS didn’t finish with the best record, or take over a bad team (from last season), or deal with a bunch of crappy off the field circumstances or injuries. There were a lot of good coaching performances this year, of which MOS was one. He’s honestly not in my top 3 though.

MOS 

7 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

MOS won the season series against the Esks and Riders. Lost it by 2 points against Cal. 

Dickenson is praised for having a worse record than last year but MOS "added 1 win" so gets knocked. 

Typical.

4 hours ago, Jesse said:

What is it that you disagree with?

I personally thought he summed it up fairly well.

I realize we’ve had a good season. And for that we got second place and a home play off game. But coach of the year is about the best. MOS didn’t finish with the best record, or take over a bad team (from last season), or deal with a bunch of crappy off the field circumstances or injuries. There were a lot of good coaching performances this year, of which MOS was one. He’s honestly not in my top 3 though.

So, he has the second best record but isn't in the top 3?

I wonder what it would take for him to get to the top 3? Coaching another team, probably. 

8 hours ago, JCon said:

So, he has the second best record but isn't in the top 3?

I wonder what it would take for him to get to the top 3? Coaching another team, probably. 

I have blue goggles on like everyone else. I just don’t understand how you can ignore how lucky we were with injuries this year. Maas competed for large portions of the season with an entirely different team.

And Jones, love him or hate him (and I hate him), but I expected them to win 3 games this year. I have no idea what smoke and mirrors they keep using to win games, but he’s doing something right.

Trestman and MOS, I think, are kind of in that 4th slot behind Dickenson, Maas, and Jones.

Just my opinion. Not sure why you seem to be insinuating I’m a fan of another team because I don’t think our coach isn’t the coach of the year.

14 hours ago, 17to85 said:

O'Shea did what he did with Matt Nichols as his qb, now I love what Nichols has brought to this team, but come on, when comparing him to Reilly or Ray or Mitchell? 

Nichols had a better season than Ray or Mitchell. You can’t compare their careers, but he just behind Reilly is his performance this season.

17 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

What's the last year win/loss records got to do with all of these?  It's irrelevant.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

31 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

What's the last year win/loss records got to do with all of these?  It's irrelevant.

You say win/loss is irrelevant (It's not, cuz no one is giving COTY to a guy whose team is under .500) and JCON asks how MOS can be tied for 2nd in wins yet not in the top 3 (Cuz Trestman took the worst team in the league to the best in the East).  Ain't no way for me to win around here.

JCON... I don't agree with your 'beating specific teams' as a COTY stat.

MOS turned the team around in 3 or 4 years, but that's not as impressive as Trestman doing it in one, or Jones doing it in two.

Dickenson won less games this year than last, but he still ended up with the most wins overall. Both COTY candidates have the top teams in their division.

MOS got us tied for second in wins as did Mass, but Mass did it with a revolving door of players, which is more impressive.