Lapolice Should Say No To Any Offers From Bob Glieberman Wettenhall In MTL

USABomberfan

It's amazing what capable quarterbacking can do to make a coordinator look like a genius; that said, a good coordinator has the ability to tailor game plans to the strengths of the players in his line up and put those guys in the best position to succeed.  I can't say that Lapo or Khari do either of those things on a consistent basis.  

Saying that, I wouldn't want to lose Lapo in the offseason .. Nichols has thrived in this system and consistency is such a big thing offensively.

23 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

Saying that, I wouldn't want to lose Lapo in the offseason .. Nichols has thrived in this system and consistency is such a big thing offensively.

I also like the idea of Buck continuing to "mentor" under Lapo... I hope Buck can become an OC one day... learning from a very good coach never hurts...

1 hour ago, trueBlue83 said:

Davis would fit in a Buck Pierce offence.... "just put your head down, and run that thing for 40 yards!"

While Davis is reasonably mobile, both Nichols and LeFevour are far better scramblers than him.  If putting the head down and running for 40 yards is the play call.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I hope LaPolice decides to bide his time and continue his tenure with the Bombers. I don't think either situation in Montreal or Vancouver is going to be a good one for whoever takes the HC job.

Well, for BC it would depend on who becomes the new GM since a Buono retirement in my books would mean he's no longer trying to coach from upstairs either.  Plus, with this whole trying to sell the team thing, if someone took over new ownership and cleaned the house, perhaps the situation becomes more ideal for the next guy.

It's Montreal though whose the embarrassment and the team that's going to have to settle for a failure HC to take over until their owner stops acting as bad as Bernie Glieberman.  If I was an Als fan I'd start boycotting their games and advocating for other fans to do the same and force the Glieberhall's to sell the team.  WORST OWNER EVER.

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

I also like the idea of Buck continuing to "mentor" under Lapo... I hope Buck can become an OC one day... learning from a very good coach never hurts...

its so funny to read this because I swear, at the beginning of the season..  (not you) so many people had the exact opposition thoughts on Lapo's coaching.

23 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Well, for BC it would depend on who becomes the new GM since a Buono retirement in my books would mean he's no longer trying to coach from upstairs either.  Plus, with this whole trying to sell the team thing, if someone took over new ownership and cleaned the house, perhaps the situation becomes more ideal for the next guy.

It's Montreal though whose the embarrassment and the team that's going to have to settle for a failure HC to take over until their owner stops acting as bad as Bernie Glieberman.  If I was an Als fan I'd start boycotting their games and advocating for other fans to do the same and force the Glieberhall's to sell the team.  WORST OWNER EVER.

Not by a long-shot, you want to rain down on an owner that puts up his own cash to support CFL football in Mtl.?  In favour of what, pray tell?

16 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Not by a long-shot, you want to rain down on an owner that puts up his own cash to support CFL football in Mtl.?  In favour of what, pray tell?

He's meddling in football business and has had ... 5 coaching changes in just as many years.  He also is the one who hired that buffoon Kavis Reed to run this team.  What kind of an owner is stupid enough to do that?  That Montreal team is going to take years to fix and it is definitely that silly old owners fault.  What he is doing is worse than anything Glieberman did.

Bottom line is every CFL fan knew that Kavis Reed hire was going to be a disaster and Wettenhall needs to be held responsible for it.

Edited by USABomberfan

14 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

He's meddling in football business and has had ... 5 coaching changes in just as many years.  He also is the one who hired that buffoon Kavis Reed to run this team.  What kind of an owner is stupid enough to do that?  That Montreal team is going to take years to fix and it is definitely that silly old owners fault.  What he is doing is worse than anything Glieberman did.

Bottom line is every CFL fan knew that Kavis Reed hire was going to be a disaster and Wettenhall needs to be held responsible for it.

the gliberman's drove the rough rider's into the ground and then into a casket didn't they? I don't forsee that happening with Montreal.

7 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Wetenhall literally owns the ball and without him the CFL has no team in Quebec, it's his folly and he can do whatever he sees fit.  The CFL has other problems that are more pressing, if you want to dictate how the Als. are run, step up with your own $$ and buy him out.

1 minute ago, SPuDS said:

the gliberman's drove the rough rider's into the ground and then into a casket didn't they? I don't forsee that happening with Montreal.

Maybe not but if that old guy doesn't start wising up soon it's going to get real bad.  No stability at all with coaching and it's why nobody smart will accept any HC jobs out there unless the Als get sold to more competent owners.

1 hour ago, SPuDS said:

its so funny to read this because I swear, at the beginning of the season..  (not you) so many people had the exact opposition thoughts on Lapo's coaching.

I personally don't LOVE Lapo as a coach... but that doesn't mean he isn't a great teacher with a brilliant football mind...

1 minute ago, bearpants said:

I personally don't LOVE Lapo as a coach... but that doesn't mean he isn't a great teacher with a brilliant football mind...

good call.. he does seem to lack the killer instinct.  Hes not my favourite but gotta acknowledge how  impressive he has got this offense going this year (and some of last)

12 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Pretty much that can sum the difference between a HC and a coordinator.  If you got the teaching tools and the know-how with the Xs and Os, you'll usually succeed as a coordinator anywhere.  If you don't got a strong enough persona or the right philosophies to go with it, you're not likely to succeed as a HC.

Jim Popp wanted to coach... but maybe his plan the whole time was to keep the spot open, without having a new coach under contract for when Trestman got canned down south, and bring him back to Montreal??   he seemed to have no problem luring him to Toronto.... tough to say what went on behind closed doors in Montreal.

The gleibs folded 2 franchises. ( same one twice) no one will ever convince me an owner is worse. Short of jones getting a stake in the riders. 

Montreal is a garbage can on fire. If you are a young CO or position coach looking to get experience in HC, or a cisu coach then take it. First time HC jobs very seldom work out. Take the lumps, learn the lessons then write it off as being a dumpster of a franchise. Other wise, stay away. 

12 minutes ago, tracker said:

The Glieberguys set new standards for utterly incompetent ownership. I remember being embarrassed for the Ottawa fans and the whole league.

I once had a nasty case of Epidermodysplasia verruciformis, so I was prescribed tincture of Horn Chen by an Asian Apothecary....I then learned the truth.

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/football/horn-chen-former-rough-riders-owner-dies-at-age-83

Toronto was going to be dumpster fire.... had somebody or other running it during the draft.

Got Popp/Trestman, and less than a year later have a very good team.

June Jones effort.

There's no reason why Montreal can't be a good team very quickly.

This happens in the CFL.

who knows, a year or two from now, Paul LaPolice could end up as headcoach in Sask. If things don't turn around for Mr. Jones.

Edited by Mark F

2 hours ago, trueBlue83 said:

Jim Popp wanted to coach... but maybe his plan the whole time was to keep the spot open, without having a new coach under contract for when Trestman got canned down south, and bring him back to Montreal??   he seemed to have no problem luring him to Toronto.... tough to say what went on behind closed doors in Montreal.

I was thinking of this.  One thing is for sure that Popp and Trestman are a tandem and very good friends.  Popp certainly is better at his job when Trestman works with him.

Now, I don't believe Popp back in 2013 had it in mind that Trestman was going to get canned, esp considering he had moderate success his first year with the Bears.  I suspect in 2016 when Baltimore let him go that yeah he did give him a call.  Perhaps had Mr W been patient enough to give Popp one more year, Trestman probably returns to MTL.

Only other thing to consider is they would've still had to go QB shopping in MTL.  They've benefited in TO from having Ray just as they did Calvillo.

5 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Wetenhall literally owns the ball and without him the CFL has no team in Quebec, it's his folly and he can do whatever he sees fit.  The CFL has other problems that are more pressing, if you want to dictate how the Als. are run, step up with your own $$ and buy him out.

Lol

1. Duh it's his own stupidity, so maybe he shouldn't be offended then if the media calls him out as being the clown he is

2. You do realize right no matter what you offer, the owner actually has to be willing to sell a team?  And there have been other parties around MTL showing interest too.

I'd personally recommend the Als fans boycott him and then form a community ownership group.

4 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

What the hell difference would that make?

Well people do get held accountable that way.  Yeah we made some mistakes with Bauer, Buchko and Mack, but they all also got fired and now Wade Miller is here.  I'd say that's enough evidence that community ownership trumps private ownership.