Lapolice Should Say No To Any Offers From Bob Glieberman Wettenhall In MTL

USABomberfan

9 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Well people do get held accountable that way.  Yeah we made some mistakes with Bauer, Buchko and Mack, but they all also got fired and now Wade Miller is here.  I'd say that's enough evidence that community ownership trumps private ownership.

No, just no. There is no evidence whatsoever that public ownership is better than private ownership.

7 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

WORST OWNER EVER.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nelson+skalbania

TLDR: Skalbania killed Als V1.0 and very  nearly killed the Lions as well.  Then he went to jail for real estate fraud.

The Glieberguys, while a big joke, didn't kill the Rough Riders -- there were two owners that followed them (three, if you count the  CFL, which paid most of the Riders' bills in 1996) .

Feterik left the Stamps in okay shape for the next owners.  He paid his bills.

And Wettenhall is the guy who saved the Als in the nineties and presided over years and years of success afterwards.  Team is falling on hard times now, but he's a long long way from worst owner ever.

Edited by johnzo

45 minutes ago, johnzo said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=nelson+skalbania

TLDR: Skalbania killed Als V1.0 and very  nearly killed the Lions as well.  Then he went to jail for real estate fraud.

The Glieberguys, while a big joke, didn't kill the Rough Riders -- there were two owners that followed them (three, if you count the  CFL, which paid most of the Riders' bills in 1996) .

Feterik left the Stamps in okay shape for the next owners.  He paid his bills.

And Wettenhall is the guy who saved the Als in the nineties and presided over years and years of success afterwards.  Team is falling on hard times now, but he's a long long way from worst owner ever.

Again, he's responsible for the current front office being a circus.  He hired Reed and Mack, and it was a dumb move.

Edited by USABomberfan

1 hour ago, USABomberfan said:

Well people do get held accountable that way.  Yeah we made some mistakes with Bauer, Buchko and Mack, but they all also got fired and now Wade Miller is here.  I'd say that's enough evidence that community ownership trumps private ownership.

What? Public ownership or private ownership - mismanagement is mismanagement. There are plenty of privately owned and publicly owned entities that have let things slip through their hands and people have (justifiably or not) lost jobs as a result of it.

8 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

He's meddling in football business and has had ... 5 coaching changes in just as many years.  He also is the one who hired that buffoon Kavis Reed to run this team.  What kind of an owner is stupid enough to do that?  That Montreal team is going to take years to fix and it is definitely that silly old owners fault.  What he is doing is worse than anything Glieberman did.

Bottom line is every CFL fan knew that Kavis Reed hire was going to be a disaster and Wettenhall needs to be held responsible for it.

If he wants to use his own, private funds to have his own giant tire fire of a franchise, it is his right as a private owner to do so. That's how capitalism works.

10 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

If he wants to use his own, private funds to have his own giant tire fire of a franchise, it is his right as a private owner to do so. That's how capitalism works.

Yup, just like there's freedom of the press to call him out as stupid when he ****s it up.

10 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

Lol

1. Duh it's his own stupidity, so maybe he shouldn't be offended then if the media calls him out as being the clown he is

2. You do realize right no matter what you offer, the owner actually has to be willing to sell a team?  And there have been other parties around MTL showing interest too.

I'd personally recommend the Als fans boycott him and then form a community ownership group.

Sure, and what happens to the team when they run out of money, hold a telethon and beg?  For owner's like Braley and Wetenhall owning a CFL franchise is not a good investment of their funds as they they could easily create better returns elsewhere and are probably losing money running these teams in the current market.  They like football and they like owning CFL teams and supporting the league and their communities, don't take their generosity for granted as it is currently essential to the stability of the league. 

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

8 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Sure, and what happens to the team when they run out of money, hold a telethon and beg?  For owner's like Braley and Wetenhall owning a CFL franchise is not a good investment of their funds as they they could easily create better returns elsewhere and are probably losing money running these teams in the current market.  They like football and they like owning CFL teams and supporting the league and their communities, don't take their generosity for granted as it is currently essential to the stability of the league. 

I'd be willing to bet the Wettenhall's are not the only people in Montreal with money.  I mean, do they got a monopoly on all the banks there or something?

I seem to remember, not too many years ago, several people bemoaning the fact that we're a community owned team and how there's no accountability because it's run by a board and how private ownership would be so much better because there would be someone from whom the buck stops at.  Good times, good times...

10 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

I seem to remember, not too many years ago, several people bemoaning the fact that we're a community owned team and how there's no accountability because it's run by a board and how private ownership would be so much better because there would be someone from whom the buck stops at.  Good times, good times...

When tough times come usually this happens.  I seen the same thing from privately-owned teams fanbases clamoring for community ownership, and would not be surprised if people on the Als forum or in various Montreal bars are calling for it right now.  Well if they're not too busy with Habs hockey right now.

8 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

The Wetenhall's now are not the Wetenhall's of 10 years ago.  When Papa Wetenhall ran the team it could be argued that the Als had the best ownership in the league, now that the son runs the show they are a circus.

This.  I may have made a slight mistake in targetting Bob Sr. as opposed to maybe stopping the Buck at Andrew or Bob Jr's plate.  But yes, in a what have you done for me lately football era, the people you hire as an owner can make or break your franchise, and as of right now it's been proven they are hiring incompetent people to run it.  And before I get another lecture on capitalism and economics (which I am well versed in) allowing this, maybe I'd better give people a lecture on freedom of the press and that an owner's right to stupidity doesn't = a censorship of the media criticizing him since some here seem to think it does.

1 minute ago, USABomberfan said:

When tough times come usually this happens.  I seen the same thing from privately-owned teams fanbases clamoring for community ownership, and would not be surprised if people on the Als forum or in various Montreal bars are calling for it right now.  Well if they're not too busy with Habs hockey right now.

This.  I may have made a slight mistake in targetting Bob Sr. as opposed to maybe stopping the Buck at Andrew or Bob Jr's plate.  But yes, in a what have you done for me lately football era, the people you hire as an owner can make or break your franchise, and as of right now it's been proven they are hiring incompetent people to run it.  And before I get another lecture on capitalism and economics (which I am well versed in) allowing this, maybe I'd better give people a lecture on freedom of the press and that an owner's right to stupidity doesn't = a censorship of the media criticizing him since some here seem to think it does.

Who is trying to censor you?  Ownership is open to criticism and critics are open to criticism as well.  Go ahead and make your point but don't be surprised if people disagree with you.

7 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Just a reminder, this isn't the press.  It's a privately owned website we are allowed to post on at the owner's discretion.

Also, you aren't the media.

Also, this is Canada, so rather than unintentionally referencing the Constitution of the United States, you would be better served intentionally referencing The Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

6 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Just a reminder, this isn't the press.  It's a privately owned website we are allowed to post on at the owner's discretion.

Also, you aren't the media.

Also, this is Canada, so rather than unintentionally referencing the Constitution of the United States, you would be better served intentionally referencing The Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Yes, and so far I've not seen one rule in either place that says No Bashing Bob Or Andrew Wettenhall, or Richie Hall for that matter lol.

Also, just so you know, television, radio and newspapers are not the only media anymore.  Social media, bloggers, YouTube and little private news sites online are still considered media, aka the new media and not the old.  So ... take that as you will.

Edited by USABomberfan

1 hour ago, mbrg said:

It's time for @Rich to appoint a few non-admin members here grammar editing privileges, in the hopes of saving the English language before it's too late.

Fleek,bae, cash me outside howbowdah..

Lost cause my friend, game over.  Game over man!

(and this is from a person who strongly believes the English language is an art form and should be treasured and used as eloquently as possible, every time.. at the risk of sounding like a pompous wind-bag)

I  do whole-heartedly support this endeavor.  Gotta save what's left of it.

2 hours ago, mbrg said:

It's time for @Rich to appoint a few non-admin members here grammar editing privileges, in the hopes of saving the English language before it's too late.

I would love to volunteer but I don't quite have 12 hours to spend every day fixing the grammar on this site...