MOS on Nichols

BigBlue

MOS says Reilly does not hang on to the ball as long as he did at the beginning of the season ... consequently he is hard to get to ... our best effort will take away his first read

Darvin Adams will see the doc soon, late this week or early next week .... didn't sound optimistic about his chances of playing Sunday

16 minutes ago, tracker said:

There are rumours out of Bomberland that Nichols is very iffy for Sunday, but it's hard to tell if this real or head games with the Esks.

There are zero rumours... Only newspaper people trying to stir up some controversy that does not exist. You'd have to remove Nichols limbs to keep him out and even then..... 

42 minutes ago, tracker said:

There are rumours out of Bomberland that Nichols is very iffy for Sunday, but it's hard to tell if this real or head games with the Esks.

Where is that from?

25 minutes ago, Noeller said:

There are zero rumours... Only newspaper people trying to stir up some controversy that does not exist. You'd have to remove Nichols limbs to keep him out and even then..... 

Sounds about right. Tbh if it was a more pressing game i wouldnt be surprised if nichols would have played last week. 

In an era of un padded no contact practices, basically the game catching up the QBs, Its tough to imagine a sit out injury that you know a guy will play through. With limited practice last week, and no game action and missing part of the game the week before, Id have him practice so long as it wouldnt be a serious threat to hinder him on sunday.  

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

I think for Reilly people are forgetting that it isn't just about getting to him, you have to actually wrap him up. He's arguably the hardest QB to take down in the league and there's definitely been times where a DE has him dead to rights and he has somehow escaped.

Rushing 3 sure didn't work well for the Riders as the Edm. O-line is huge and fairly good at protection one on one.   Bombers had 0 sacks on Reilly the first game and only 2 the second and they still beat him, having Wild back in the lineup should certainly help add pressure.

31 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Rushing 3 sure didn't work well for the Riders as the Edm. O-line is huge and fairly good at protection one on one.   Bombers had 0 sacks on Reilly the first game and only 2 the second and they still beat him, having Wild back in the lineup should certainly help add pressure.

With a tough to bring down qb, you hold him up wait for help, and attack the ball. That type of ball carrier is much much more likely to fumble. 

3 man rushes can be drastically different. Depending on if they play 1 gap or 2 gap. Basically trying to push through the gap to pressure the qb or trying to push the OL back to close the gap on either side of him.  Against a mobile QB a 1 gap will force him to roll side ways and cut off half the field allowing the DBs to cheat. Giving up middle running gaps can make for easy first downs. 

QB pressures are also a big deal. Our DL dont sell out for sacks so much. Especially poop and jackson. Both guys get their hands up and play to shut down the pass lane. Which is what you need to do against a big strong qb. Hes like a less fleet of foot kerry joseph. Hold em up, gang tackle him, attack the ball, occupy the passing lanes, push the center back into him to take away the pocket and make him play to half a field.  No question we have the horses in the front 7 to do it. If we do a good job of tackling against the moes we will be in great shape.  If its selling out for hits, and settling for arm tackles itll be a long day. 

Edited by wbbfan

Speaking of our DL, I think losing Westerman was addition by subtraction.  

Seemed like when we lost him our DEs got a lot better at playing contain and keeping QBs in the pocket.  Especially critical this weekend ... if a guy like Reilly can get outside the pocket and roam around in space, he'll kill us, either with his legs or by extending the play long enough so one of those great receivers of his can shake free downfield. 

2 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Speaking of our DL, I think losing Westerman was addition by subtraction.  

Seemed like when we lost him our DEs got a lot better at playing contain and keeping QBs in the pocket.  Especially critical this weekend ... if a guy like Reilly can get outside the pocket and roam around in space, he'll kill us, either with his legs or by extending the play long enough so one of those great receivers of his can shake free downfield. 

Ehh none of our edge rushers are as good at their best as westerman. His inclusion also hurt our ratio badily. Hello permanent resident of the starting roster sam hurl, 2 starting NIs, not being able to start poop and nevis etc.  Jeffcoat is more consistent at getting in the back field. But ogogpogo just got hot late. We are just exceptionally deep at DL right now.  Full 4 imp DL is better then a DL with westy, thomas and 2 imps. 

13 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Where is that from?

Sounds about right. Tbh if it was a more pressing game i wouldnt be surprised if nichols would have played last week. 

In an era of un padded no contact practices, basically the game catching up the QBs, Its tough to imagine a sit out injury that you know a guy will play through. With limited practice last week, and no game action and missing part of the game the week before, Id have him practice so long as it wouldnt be a serious threat to hinder him on sunday.  

This was from a 1290 radio quoting Dressler.

16 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

I think for Reilly people are forgetting that it isn't just about getting to him, you have to actually wrap him up. He's arguably the hardest QB to take down in the league and there's definitely been times where a DE has him dead to rights and he has somehow escaped.

he is very very sneaky, sir.

6 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

Yes, yes it is.  But never mind that, do I see a #1 out there?

Yep.... Being worn by a lineman..... Unless DA seriously packed er on.... 

Mildly surprised that Nichols is being as ginger as he is early on. I really thought he'd be flying on Day 1 to prove a point. Might be more hurt than I suspected... 

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Yep.... Being worn by a lineman..... Unless DA seriously packed er on.... 

Mildly surprised that Nichols is being as ginger as he is early on. I really thought he'd be flying on Day 1 to prove a point. Might be more hurt than I suspected... 

I believe it was a calf injury. With the cold weather I'm not surprised he's taking it easy. May also be a bit of a ploy so Edmonton has to prepare for the possibility of lefevour as well. Never show all your cards.