Blue Bombers and 680 CJOB Announce Partnership Extension

TrueBlue

47 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Doing things ironically is almost 20 years in the rear-view.  If you need a velour tracksuit to go bowling in, I know people.

More or less this.  I have no lingering issues from GC2001, and by all accounts Westwood the person is a decent dude, but Westwood the sports personality?  See above.

The breaking point for me was when Eugenie Bouchard was forced to withdraw from the US Open due to a concussion after a puddle related slip-and-fall in the locker room.  He absolutely went off on her, calling her an idiot for being so irresponsible, kept railing on how this was her fault and she should be blamed.  It was 100% pure *******.

So the current format for any panel show seems to be two or more people take a stance at the opposite end of the spectrum and yell at each other.  Apparently the loudest is declared the winner?  The audience is clearly the loser.  Picking something controversial to say and refusing to back down from it is informative?  If I'm listening to talk radio, I want to finish feeling smarter, not dumber.  Westwood drags it down to dunce-level, and he does it intentionally.

So Westwood's choice to be the guy who shouts contrarian positions is his own.  I'm sure he might have some knowledge and insight when it comes to football and locker room culture specific to the CFL, but beyond that, insight is not a word I would associate with his daily work on TSN.  His hockey knowledge consists of "being a Canadian".

There is no hate for Westwood.  What he's selling, I'm not buying.

Odd, I listen to the morning show on the drive and certainly whomever said Westwood can string sentences together is factually incorrect.  The know it all part, well, if you are right, then its not really an insult and he's usually on the right side of the issue he's passionate about.  People want their sports commentators to be very vanilla, I get that.  The personal insults are hilarious though.  Says way more about people to be THAT personally offended by Troy Westwood of all people lol  I mean, really really really hilarious! hahaha

I guess i'm one of the few that doesn't listen to pre or post game shows and really don't listen to either station, actually don't listen to radio at all any more , but the Blue Bombers belong OB with Bob when I was younger and at work listening to Bob for the Bombers and Friar for the Jets was the best.

26 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Odd, I listen to the morning show on the drive and certainly whomever said Westwood can string sentences together is factually incorrect.  The know it all part, well, if you are right, then its not really an insult and he's usually on the right side of the issue he's passionate about.  People want their sports commentators to be very vanilla, I get that.  The personal insults are hilarious though.  Says way more about people to be THAT personally offended by Troy Westwood of all people lol  I mean, really really really hilarious! hahaha

To each their own and its all just everyone's opinion, not facts.

However this morning he was actually stammering and saying uhhh, tripping over his words, for a good 5-10 seconds and I actually had to change the station as I couldn't take it.  This happens a lot.

And I don't want him to be vanilla or care where his opinion sits as long as its an informed one, which I find he lacks.  The Eugenie Bouchard example is a great one

Again though, differing opinions.

Westwood seems to be getting more and more "preachy" the longer he is on the air.    The chemistry between him and Toth does not seem to be materializing.  

I put a lot of this on Toth.  He is supposed to be the polished / educated broadcaster and host.  Others in that role seemed to manage the show much better.  

There are too many times where Toth starts giving his opinion on things that he comes across too wishy washy and won’t really commit to what he is saying.  Either what he says sounds like he put about 2 seconds of thought into it and is the exact same comment you would hear from a buddy on the weekend.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Westwood seems to be getting more and more "preachy" the longer he is on the air.    The chemistry between him and Toth does not seem to be materializing.  

I put a lot of this on Toth.  He is supposed to be the polished / educated broadcaster and host.  Others in that role seemed to manage the show much better.  

There are too many times where Toth starts giving his opinion on things that he comes across too wishy washy and won’t really commit to what he is saying.  Either what he says sounds like he put about 2 seconds of thought into it and is the exact same comment you would hear from a buddy on the weekend.

I "heard" from someone in the industry that they don't like each other and I of course have no way of proving that, but it seems to come through in their interactions.

Maybe I'm just looking for it now since I heard that but it seems they get irritated with each other easy, especially Westwood in regards to Toth.

Brown has come a long way. He was really bad for trying to use unnecessarily big words...still does it sometimes, but is getting better at being more conversational. Working with Irving long enough will help with that. I maintain there is nothing better for a Bombers fan than the pre-game segment with Tait, Irving and Brown just bullshitting about CFL stuff. Dave and I were saying earlier today we'd pay money to sit in and listen to that convo over drinks...

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Brown has come a long way. He was really bad for trying to use unnecessarily big words...still does it sometimes, but is getting better at being more conversational. Working with Irving long enough will help with that. I maintain there is nothing better for a Bombers fan than the pre-game segment with Tait, Irving and Brown just bullshitting about CFL stuff. Dave and I were saying earlier today we'd pay money to sit in and listen to that convo over drinks...

Tait and Irving yes.  However I agree with a number of people here in that Brown comes off as smug and hard to relate to.   Maybe Brown SHOULD have a few cocktails before getting on air .. might loosen him up! :)

I think it's fair that everyone enjoys different things from on-air personality.....and I can respect people's opinion. Having said that, there's something I personally enjoy about a guy who knows he's better than everyone else (Doug Brown, as a player, was better than everyone else) and isn't afraid to say it...."It ain't braggin' motherf***er, if you back it up..."  There are absolutely times you can "hear" Doug Brown rolling his eyes as he speaks....I love that ****.

23 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I think it's fair that everyone enjoys different things from on-air personality.....and I can respect people's opinion. Having said that, there's something I personally enjoy about a guy who knows he's better than everyone else (Doug Brown, as a player, was better than everyone else) and isn't afraid to say it...."It ain't braggin' motherf***er, if you back it up..."  There are absolutely times you can "hear" Doug Brown rolling his eyes as he speaks....I love that ****.

He's a smart dude. He's pointed out things that I think most of us would have missed. He's not afraid to ask tough questions or give tough answers. A caller once put him on the spot about Richie Hall and his response was quite good.

Middle of July and 1290 is almost all Jets in the morning. That's inexcusable. Bombers get less time than hockey in the middle of summer, when there's nothing to talk about. I wrote them about it and Westwood blew it off as unimportant because "most people care about the Jets." He's preachy and uninteresting.

If 1290 had gotten the Bombers games, I guarantee they would have had to move them online those few times a year when there's a conflict with the Jets. And then what?

The Bombers will always be second class citizens on 1290.  While Hustler has historically done a better job of covering the CFL than the morning show, Bauming is the only real exception, and I can listen to him on a podcast, so why even bother with the radio station?

If 680 could get Bauming in with Irving for Bombers games, it would be perfect. Let him learn from Irving and grow his skills while honing his passion.

Radio Player Canada app, baby.....she's a beaut. I use it to tune in to Manitoba stations all the time (as well as monitor my own, when I'm away...) Was doing some airchecking of QX104 with it recently (painful...for my personal tastes, anyhow...) and a couple stations I used to work at. Really nifty app...

3 hours ago, Rich said:

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about their show.

I'm happy that the Bombers are staying on CJOB.  As already touched on by a few posters, if there is a conflict in the schedule between the Jets and the Bombers (and there will be) Bombers will get the boot, while the Jets will get top priority.  Not exactly an ideal situation for advertising your product to the masses.

I have listened to the Bomber pre and post-game show on 1290 and I have it to be quite good.  I enjoy Walby's take on the game and while Walby is not as eloquent as Doug (everyone remember overneath?!) he doesn't come across as arrogant but rather jovial.  Plus Walby the offensive lineman > then Brown the defensive lineman.

Westwood is OK on the morning show though I could do without the fake moral outrage he expresses from time to time.  I find he has made an effort to learn things during his tenure on 1290.  ie. analytics in hockey.  Toth is terrible - the worst thing about 1290 at this point.  

Toth - makes a point about something.

Westwood or Bauming or some other host - easily refutes the comment

Toth ignores his previous comment defending a particular stance and agrees with co-hosts - "But that's what I'm saying"

Ralphie pretty good and comes across as polished.  You have to like his dry sense of humour.

Hustler is enthusiastic and has a pretty good grasp on most of his subject matter.  

I think the ratings for the drive home are also quite good for 1290 though not as good when Lawless was one of the co-hosts.  He and Hustler had some good chemistry.

Overall average ratings for 1290 probably take a bigger hit in the evening and late night - moreso than CJOB - due to the airing of out-of-country radio personalities.  I doubt there are many in Manitoba who listen to Jim Rome and ESPN radio as obviously do not focus on anything in Canada let alone Manitoba.

Offhand, there is some truly hilarious filler content on the weekend.  I had the radio on as background noise while I was doing some work and there is a weekly Esports (Electronic Sports AKA Competitive Videogaming) show on with two hosts..I don't remember their names.  On one show they were talking about these "athletes" retiring and the consequences for life after video games as compared to their counterparts in traditional sports.  Such topics are handled with extreme gravitas  lol.  I guess one's fingers and thumbs are never the same after several years in the rough-and-tumble world of video games!

Edited by blueandgoldguy

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Right - which is why it's inaccurate to say Bomber games can be heard all over MB.

I believe CJOB has a bunch of AM stations around the province paying for the right to carry Bomber broadcasts.  I couldn't tell you who they are.

5 minutes ago, mbrg said:

I believe CJOB has a bunch of AM stations around the province paying for the right to carry Bomber broadcasts.  I couldn't tell you who they are.

I can't tell you right now how many are on board, but CKDM Dauphin has rights and CKMW Winkler did before they switched to FM and went to primarily music. I'm not sure if they still air Goldeyes, Jays, Bombers, etc as they used to. At one point, the Golden West Boissevain mini-stick would air Bombers games that you could get in Brandon, but that's been done for awhile now, I believe...