Game 16 : @ Coyotes

On 11/12/2017 at 8:03 PM, Goalie said:

Sergachev and Foote.. Possibly Sosunov... Are rumored to be names but i cant stress that these are just fan rumors. 

That would certainly pique my interest and potentially set up our D for the next decade plus.  We could probably squeeze out a draft pick as well and maybe add a throw away.  Although, Petan could be of interest to Tampa as well.

Nothing replaces Trouba one for one right now.  But I think our D is solid enough to weather it with Poolman.  And nothing precludes the Jets from trading for a veteran D on a short contract to help out.  It also helps in other areas because you're paying Trouba $7 million + on a deal next year.  Trading him for ELC guys saves a TON of money in the short-mid term.

25 minutes ago, Goalie said:

What has trouba done to get 7 million? Its all about points... Hes not putting much up. 7? Maybe 5 or 6 Max. 

Since everyone around him is getting 6 I could see the jets throwing him a bone and giving him 6 to keep him happy. Not saying he deserves it, but that pretty much absorbs enstroms salary too

6 hours ago, Goalie said:

What has trouba done to get 7 million? Its all about points... Hes not putting much up. 7? Maybe 5 or 6 Max. 

Not on a long term deal. It’s about “is there someone willing to pay that much” and there probably is. So we can do the bridge contract dance until he walks away for nothing, pay him a lot to sign a long term deal or trade him. 

If he could be had for $5 million he’d be signed a year  ago. Five mill is crazy talk. Not happening. 

To be fair Hampus Lindholm signed long term for $5.2. So start there. Add extra to stay in Wpg. I’d say $6 but I don’t think he wants to stay. 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

7 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Not on a long term deal. It’s about “is there someone willing to pay that much” and there probably is. So we can do the bridge contract dance until he walks away for nothing, pay him a lot to sign a long term deal or trade him. 

If he could be had for $5 million he’d be signed a year  ago. Five mill is crazy talk. Not happening. 

To be fair Hampus Lindholm signed long term for $5.2. So start there. Add extra to stay in Wpg. I’d say $6 but I don’t think he wants to stay. 

Lindholms deal @ 5.2 includes these 2 years of RFA years that Trouba is playing out.  Trouba got paid$3M per for those 2 years.  So if you are signing Trouba to the same term as Hampus (6 years), and want to match that deal you are going to pay more because there will be more UFA years included in it.  

So I think you need to up that to $7M minimum if you want him to sign long term (6+).

Or you go 4 years @ 6M which would pretty much match the Lindholm deal and give him back the $4M he lost out on these past two years playing for $3M instead of $5M.  

But like you said, and have to ask yourself, if he was willing to sign for that kind of money, that deal would have been done two years ago.  He either wants more money or doesn't want to be in Winnipeg long term, or both.

47 minutes ago, Rich said:

Lindholms deal @ 5.2 includes these 2 years of RFA years that Trouba is playing out.  Trouba got paid$3M per for those 2 years.  So if you are signing Trouba to the same term as Hampus (6 years), and want to match that deal you are going to pay more because there will be more UFA years included in it.  

So I think you need to up that to $7M minimum if you want him to sign long term (6+).

Or you go 4 years @ 6M which would pretty much match the Lindholm deal and give him back the $4M he lost out on these past two years playing for $3M instead of $5M.  

But like you said, and have to ask yourself, if he was willing to sign for that kind of money, that deal would have been done two years ago.  He either wants more money or doesn't want to be in Winnipeg long term, or both.

I agree.  The Jets generally get good value but we see players speak glowingly of Winnipeg and "easy deals" when they sign.  But the Jets also havent shied away from big contracts when necessary. There is a reason this isnt done.

Its almost absurd though, on Trouba's part.  If he could pick a team to play for long term where he could win where is he going?  Pens? Not with that cap.  Tampa?  Maybe.  So he has very few teams to pick from.  Winnipeg is 6th in the league right now and young and on the upswing.  He's arguably the top 1-2 D and the guy in front is much older.  If he wants playing time, chance to excel personally,  chance to win and to be a star, Winnipeg is one of the very few places he can do all that.  Wanting out, he's still Restricted with zero control so he doesnt choose the destination.  Its quite odd to say the least.

I figured after last time, he felt the Jets out and blinked and would sign long term.  The Jets arguably took his issues to heart and have given him just about everything he wants.  There is no reason not to sign here unless, no matter what, he just doesnt want to play here.

3 hours ago, Rich said:

I know you have an insatiable hate for Enstrom but why do you want to get rid of Lowry?

"Insatiable hate" - interesting choice of words and pretty unfair comment in my view, given how crappy Toby is (tell me you didn't cringe when you saw Enstrom cough up the puck easily behind Winnipeg's net in that Montreal game for the OT winner and I will call you a liar).  I don't want to get rid of Lowry, but I know in trades you have to give up something to get something.  Ok then - scratch Lowry, how about Petan/Tanev/Dano/spare part?   How is that?

Edited by kelownabomberfan

Just now, Goalie said:

Trouba has put up like zero points... Points is how you get paid... He wont be getting 6 million from anyone at this point if he keeps his current play up. 

just curious though, what's his PP time this year vs last year?  Was he getting more 1st team minutes last year?