The Turning Point

BigBlue

Early in the 3rd quarter the Bombers line up to punt on 3rd and 4. The Blue have a slight psychological edge owing to the way the first half concluded when the defence got to Reilly twice. Edmonton was in shock that they weren't running away with the game. It looks like things are coming the bombers way, then....

As far as I'm concerned MOS mis-assesses the momentum the bombers have and decides on a surprise gamble. We do not execute the gamble well and turn the ball over. Edmonton cannot believe it's good fortune and drives the ball into the end zone for a touchdown.

One thing leads to another leads to another and another.... That's how the psychological scales change everything and Mr. O'Shea personally blows our playoff chances. Football is a game of momentum and we reversed ours into the sewer .

Michael O'Shea is still learning, still making major mistakes, and still maturing. He has guts and courage and balls and even if he did cost us a chance at a Grey cup this year I like him as our head Coach (because I am looking at the long term, as I have been for the last 27 years).

There goes another woulda, coulda, shoulda ....

Good year Blue!

2 minutes ago, White Out said:

How anyone could possibly disagree this was the turning point is beyond me.

Did our  disaster of a defence play a role? Yes

Did our offences lack of scoring play a role? Yes

But the turning point, make no mistake, was that  stunningly stupid fake

O'Shea to a tee.  He lives and dies by the gimmicky fake crap.  The timing was strange as there simply wasn't that bug of a payoff success.

2 minutes ago, White Out said:

How anyone could possibly disagree this was the turning point is beyond me.

Did our  disaster of a defence play a role? Yes

Did our offences lack of scoring play a role? Yes

But the turning point, make no mistake, was that  stunningly stupid fake

Should probably watch the Esks TD after if you dont think tackling plays a role. 

Gable carried 7 guys in to the end zone with him. It was 18 10 after that TD. 

Id argue Dresslers fumble was bigger. 

6 minutes ago, Captain Blue said:

I actually loved the call. Go be aggressive and try to win the game. 

Some calls work and some don't. That will be an easy one to latch onto as a mistake, but I don't mind being aggressive. 

The time to be aggressive would have been on the 2nd down. 

The fake punt call was HOORRRIIBBBLLLEEEE. A fake has gotta lead to a power shift in yardage or points. If it doesnt, you just kick. Abandoning the run was pretty horrible in its own right. But you cant compare to that fake. We got out play called in all aspects. 

8 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Should probably watch the Esks TD after if you dont think tackling plays a role. 

Gable carried 7 guys in to the end zone with him. It was 18 10 after that TD. 

Id argue Dresslers fumble was bigger. 

We had a couple plays with good tackling. But over all tackling was very poor. You cant play bend but dont break D, and tackle poorly. 

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Edmonton played good but i feel we were our own worst enemy today.. 

Cant tackle and blown coverages plus 3 turmovers to 0. Yup. Self inflicted

Bad play calls, bad tackling, poor execution. Edm took advantage. They beat us fair and square. This is the type of loss that you lose sleep over. 

Just now, Mike said:

I personally thought it was an awful call. But the D was atrocious as well.

I didnt hate the call but didnt like it either... But at the same time.. Being down 18 10 at that point or shortly after... Its not a huge lead. Our O kind of did nothing for a bit there... D was total crap tho. 

The 3 biggest points in this game are:

• Gables' touchdown where he dragged 9 different Bombers into the endzone. Hurl got beat bad and then the us going for the strip and holding him up bit us in the ass cause they got the push.
  • The fake punt: everyone complained the first year that MOS was a coach that was coaching to not lose games and not win games. This was a call made to win a game. If they were successful this would have been a different story
  • The multiple 3rd and 2's that lead to punts and field goals instead of first downs and touchdowns. This was a game were kicking a bunch of FG's was not going to cut it

Every coach, and most fans know that O'Shea has used a lot of trick plays over the last couple of years. Other teams are ready for it now.

Bombers Played them dead even till the fake punt. Edmonton goes in and scores. Bombers collapse. They were never in this game again after that play.

yes it was the turning point.

question. Why go for a two point convert on the last play of the game? That was plain stupid.

Edited by Mark F

I also felt it was a potential (later confirmed) turning point.  Who let Watson shoot the gap like that?  He gets picked up, possibly or even likely a different outcome.  Other factors were there all game long that can't be ignored:

*When* Hurl was in the right place at the right time on Gable still = whiffed tackle and huge gain/score.

I'm a big Kevin Fogg fan but the guy is NOT cut out for SAM linebacker. 2 or three steps behind on a lot of plays.  Had Gable in the backfield a couple of times amd couldn't hang on.

Nichols let down by drops on critical downs - what a shame.  

Watched the game till the end and even though it was garbage time... grateful for a bit of window dressing to take the sting off the D folding.  Pathetic I know but still.  

Mainly I just can't imagine what Nichols, Harris, Dressler et al were going through at the end.

Edited by BigBlueFanatic

1 minute ago, BigBlueFanatic said:

*When* Hurl was in the right place at the right time on Gable still = whiffed tackle and huge gain/score.

I'm a big Kevin Fogg fan but the guy is NOT cut out for SAM linebacker. 2 or three steps behind on a lot of plays.  Had Gable in the backfield a couple of times amd couldn't hang on.

Nichols let down by drops on critical downs - what a shame.  

Watched the game till the end and even though it was garbage time... grateful for a bit of window dressing to take the sting off the D folding.  Pathetic I know but still.  

Mainly I just can't imagine what Nichols, Harris, Dressler et al were going through at the end.

That last part is the truth. The good players on the team are gonna lose sleep over this for a long time. 

I feel in football especially there isnt 1 turning point... There are multiple turning points.. 

Kicking FGs instead of TDs.

Kind of abandoning Harris.

The Fake. 

Blown Coverages. 

Missed tackles at the Worst time. 

Dropped passes. 

We really missed Adams today tho. Number 1 off season priority besides a new DC needs to be find some darn receivers. 

Edited by Goalie

The real question is whether the good players have seen that no matter how hard they try, Hall's "defensive strategies" are going to let them down in the crunch. The problems have been painfully obvious and there for most of the year and in all of the Bomber losses. Hall and maybe even O'Shea and Walters can try to explain it by blaming poor execution ie" the coaches do not blow their assignments, the players do", but Hall is responsible. Period. If O'Shea believes that Hall is a good coach and is worth keeping, then we are are down to a two-for-one special- out with both of them. I suspect that the reason we did not get a sellout today was that a lot of fans did not believe that the Bombers were going to win. Not only did we lose, but we lost badly for the same freaking reasons we lost most of the other  games this year. Enough. 

We gave up 6 big plays... They didnt smoke us... We just made mistakes... On all 3 phases of the game. We lost because the Esks are a better team and we couldnt tackle or cover for **** in the 2nd half... 

Ppl talk about a fake punt... Lol.. The way our D was playing... Esks would have scored if that drive started at their 1 yard line. 

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

They smoked us. Bombers were never in the game after the fake. defence fell apart. offence kicked field goals.

My heart goes out to Nichols, Harris, Dressler and all the other players who gave it their best shot only to be let down by a poorly executed fake gamble and two free touchdowns by the defence. I am as mad as a wet hen right now but O'Shea has about four weeks to show that he can make the decisions needed to make the team a contender. The lack of good replacement players for those screwing up or injured is all on Walters and the scouting. Not. Good. Enough.

It was absolutely the turning point in the game. I really didn't like the call. You know if it works it's probably the turning point in a positive way but at that point it was a 1 point game and there really was no need for it. It was either going to give us momentum or be disasterious.. we gambled and we failed at a time when the game was in the balance and there wasn't a need for a big shake up. However the defense was awful today and there's no excuse for that either.