Hall, Hurl & Hell

BigBlue

3 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Hall's gotta be as good as gone. I can't see any rationale whatsoever in keeping him around.

Hurl's clearly a STer and nothing more. The Hurl MLB Experiment has to be over now.

Hell's hot but I hear the beer is cold.

I did not watch the game - just could not watch it knowing what to expect from a Richie Hall defense. All the trends were there based on past performance by the defense. Bombers trending down - Esks trending up. One thing that someone posted on another post really resonated with me, something to the effect that did not matter what anyone said on forums like this - just did not matter to the folks that run the Bombers - and probably true. 

As much as I hate to say it - the Riders have a better plan in place than the Bombers do. I have no love for their GM etc. but he seems to understand how to build a team. Not sure Waters and Company do so.

I may watch it tomorrow but would rather not put myself through the aggravation etc.

In any event Bombers had a winning season and maybe that is all we can ask for these day.

Sam Hurl was terrible in 2015. I thought he was going to be gone last year but they decided to keep him mostly as a ST player and someone they could throw in, in case of injury.. Fine he was over paid but he could play that role for our team no problem, but the fact that he was our starting MLB in 2017 with zero competition is absolutely mind blowing. 

4 minutes ago, BBRT said:

I did not watch the game - just could not watch it knowing what to expect from a Richie Hall defense. All the trends were there based on past performance by the defense. Bombers trending down - Esks trending up. One thing that someone posted on another post really resonated with me, something to the effect that did not matter what anyone said on forums like this - just did not matter to the folks that run the Bombers - and probably true. 

As much as I hate to say it - the Riders have a better plan in place than the Bombers do. I have no love for their GM etc. but he seems to understand how to build a team. Not sure Waters and Company do so.

I may watch it tomorrow but would rather not put myself through the aggravation etc.

In any event Bombers had a winning season and maybe that is all we can ask for these day.

I could agree with most of the post except for that bit.  I haven't seen anything out of SSK to even remotely suggest that is true.

And we most certainly can expect playoff wins out of our current roster and coaches.  The winning formula is as simple as a new LB and better defensive coordinator.

I'd hate to face Sask in the Grey Cup and lose, so losing to the Esks today is the silk purse in the sow's ear. MOS said the team was shocked by the loss. But this is a club that was on a downtrend in the final half of the regular season.  The 12-6 records looks better than this team actually was, just as the 39-32 score flatters them. Talk about a team out of touch with itself.

Edited by Doublezero

2 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

I could agree with most of the post except for that bit.  I haven't seen anything out of SSK to even remotely suggest that is true.

And we most certainly can expect playoff wins out of our current roster and coaches.  The winning formula is as simple as a new LB and better defensive coordinator.

I would add a new back up qb, a new no3 wr, and a bit more ni depth. (every team needs that)

But yeah we arent far off. Plop going away from the run and out thinking him self drives me mad some times. But even in that he showed some great wrinkles, and did not run the jet sweep with dressler. 

The "Hell" of it all was violating our own most basic philosophy: play conservatively and don't turn the ball over  - - breaks will come our way... MOS led us to do the exact opposite, gambling on a turnover and handing them a certain score if he lost. ONCE MOS played the drunken hero the whole team lost not only their modus operandi philosophy they also lost all the discipline that went with it --- everybody was now "permitted" to play with abandon and it showed .... MOS broke our own fundamental mindset and that was the Hell of watching us implode with something far greater than an unforced error!

4 hours ago, BBRT said:

So you didn't watch the game but you still feel the need to make an assessment?

8 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

And injuries to 2 of our key players didn't have anything to do with our "downward" trend, eh?

Injuries suck but all teams have to deal with them.  Depth is key a d you to look no further then the Eskimos to see the difference in depth between the Bombers and their opponents.

Leggett would not have saved the game, and I'm not if Hurl had been replaced with a MLB even vaguely like a legit player that would have made a difference. We are going to find out if O'Shea has the smarts to see the glaringly obvious about Hall and if Walters has the gonads to order O'Shea to turf Hall or walk out the door with him.

2 hours ago, mfranc said:

Injuries suck but all teams have to deal with them.  Depth is key a d you to look no further then the Eskimos to see the difference in depth between the Bombers and their opponents.

Not that I disagree with you, but when Edmonton had all their injuries mounting up they went on a big losing streak. Got some key players back and they ended the year on a winning streak. 

11 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Hall needs to be gone this off-season.  We need somebody who doesn’t just ask a player to take on blocks. We need a defensive coordinator who asks his players to beat blocks!  

I'm perplexed on why we would use a MLB as a block eater? Isn't that the DT and NT's job?  Hearing Suitor explain Hurl as the Unsung hero and O'Shea saying some people don't realize what his job is was unbearable.

O'Shea I love you but yes some of us do realize what you are trying to do with Hurl but it's not working. Most yards given from the line of scrimmage is a good starting point to understand why.

And even when he gets himself into the position to make the tackle, he usually struggles.

I'm not trying to pile on Hurl here because he wasn't the only one struggling out there, he's probably a super nice young man but we need to have our MLB as one of our best players on defence. That's the way it works in reality.