The Consolidated Bitchfest Thread

Wanna-B-Fanboy

17 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

A couple of things that no one is talking about:

1. Sometimes the HC to take a team from horrible to competitive isn't the kind of HC you need to get over the hump from competitive during the season to winning playoff games. Are the current group the right folks to get us over that hump?

I disagree with point one so I would get into an argument about it... but this is a good point... I'll start off by saying I like Walters and O'Shea and I hope (want) them to be the guys to get us over the current drought... but maybe you're right... maybe they are just good enough to get us back to the point of competitiveness and respectability... but not quite the guys to get us over the hump... well, I think we'll have at least next year to find out...

15 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

You think we get those last 16 points if Edmonton needed to stop us? You think that Edmonton would have tried to simply run out the clock if they needed to score?

This is BS and you know it... I'll give you that the second TD was garbage time... but if you think a 3 score game with 9 mins left is already over... you must be new to the CFL...

Is this where I ***** about the god-awful reffing? All season, both sides of the football and all teams were affected.

The CFL needs to invest money in the reffing.

The second half of that game was horrible.

MOS had to waste his only challenge on the clear headshot, roughing the passer, that was clear as day from the second deck. No ability to challenge the PI in the end zone on Dressler. <---I thought this was PI but didn't see a replay. Happened right underneath me.

How many Eskimos were offside on that one play in the 3rd quarter and the refs let it happen?

The Esks O-line held the Bombers like they were lovers. Seriously kids, find someone who holds you the way they did and you'll never be lonely. I'm sure it happened on the other side too, I just wasn't noticing it.

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

I disagree with point one so I would get into an argument about it... but this is a good point... I'll start off by saying I like Walters and O'Shea and I hope (want) them to be the guys to get us over the current drought... but maybe you're right... maybe they are just good enough to get us back to the point of competitiveness and respectability... but not quite the guys to get us over the hump... well, I think we'll have at least next year to find out...

This is BS and you know it... I'll give you that the second TD was garbage time... but if you think a 3 score game with 9 mins left is already over... you must be new to the CFL...

23 points down. 3 TD''s, 2 with 2 point conversions just to tie AND we have to hold Edmonton to 0 points during that time frame. Yah, that's points after beat down. Been watching the CFL for 50 years. I don't remember the last time we came back from that many points down in the last 8 minutes, especially in a playoff game.

Edmonton went into soft zone. Kept everything in front of them. Just made tackles and forced us to take time off the clock. On offense, they mostly ran and threw a few safe passes to make sure they didn't turn the ball over, which was about the only way we had any chance of coming back in the game.

This group has 2 years without the playoffs and 2 years of one and done. Using that progression, we'll get 2 years of winning a playoff game then 2 years of wining the Western Final and 2 years of the Grey Cup. Just 4 more years to wait. :lol:

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

This group has 2 years without the playoffs and 2 years of one and done. Using that progression, we'll get 2 years of winning a playoff game then 2 years of wining the Western Final and 2 years of the Grey Cup. Just 4 more years to wait. :lol:

Better to blow it all up that's worked so well in the past.

Just now, JCon said:

Better to blow it all up that's worked so well in the past.

Who is saying blow it all up? I'm simply asking... Are we progressing as fast as we should be and do we have the right guys in place to take the next step?

I'd get rid of Hall and I expect PLAP to take a HC job. Those 2 changes may be enough to get us over the hump, or they may be the death of the MOS era.

24 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Who is saying blow it all up? I'm simply asking... Are we progressing as fast as we should be and do we have the right guys in place to take the next step?

I'd get rid of Hall and I expect PLAP to take a HC job. Those 2 changes may be enough to get us over the hump, or they may be the death of the MOS era.

I interpreted your comment that you were not satisfied with the progress, so you wanted changes at the top. That means blowing everything up.

On another note, I'm amazed at how a little respect Lapo gets as an OC around here and yet, how many people think he's in line for a HC gig. I realize it's not always the same people but often it is.

Edited by JCon

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

23 points down. 3 TD''s, 2 with 2 point conversions just to tie AND we have to hold Edmonton to 0 points during that time frame. Yah, that's points after beat down. Been watching the CFL for 50 years. I don't remember the last time we came back from that many points down in the last 8 minutes, especially in a playoff game.

I didn't say a comeback was likely... but a team is not letting off the gas with that score and that much time left in a CFL game....

52 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I think the team has a better shot this season if Hall's replaced at the end of last season.

We saw progress with the offense even in spite of having perhaps the weakest receiving corps in the league (and definitely the weakest in the West Division). However, we saw absolutely no progress on defense and the same mistakes have endured during Hall's tenure.

If LaPolice takes a HC job, I wouldn't be worried about the offense going into 2018. But I think it's imperative to upgrade the system on DC, and give Hall his walking papers.

3 hours ago, JCon said:

How many Eskimos were offside on that one play in the 3rd quarter and the refs let it happen?

If you're referring to the 3rd down gamble, that is on the Bombers, not the officials. It is not offside if the defensive player who jumps early gets back before the ball is snapped unless he touches an offensive player or goes over the LOS. On that play neither happened which is why the Bombers needed to snap the ball before he got back.

Edited by Jacquie

1 minute ago, Jacquie said:

If you're referring to the 3rd down gamble, that is on the Bombers, not the officials. It is not offside if the defensive player who jumps early gets back before the ball is snapped unless he touches an offensive player or goes over the LOS. On that play neither happened which is why the Bombers needed to snap the ball before he got back.

My guess is that Goosen probably thought Sewell crossed the line of Scrimmage and was waiting for the ref to call it. He was wrong on both accounts.

You suggest this was the turning point while a lot of others are suggesting the fake punt was the turning point, both feasible arguments but I think ultimately it was Dressler's fumble that did us in. I still felt we had a chance right until that moment. 

10 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

How long has Goossen been here snapping the ball? Should know by now to snap the damn ball!

3 hours ago, JCon said:

On another note, I'm amazed at how a little respect Lapo gets as an OC around here and yet, how many people think he's in line for a HC gig. I realize it's not always the same people but often it is.

It's because Lapolice is a smart guy who has a good understanding of the game and has numbers on his side and I think he's probably a great interview based on his knowledge of the game. 

Where he fails as a coach is his ability to make the right call at the right time. 

On 2017-11-13 at 5:36 PM, TBURGESS said:

I'm not, but the guys mentioned aren't DB's, so they wouldn't have helped the breakdowns that allowed Edmonton to get up by 3 TD's in the first place.

The Edmonton version of TBurg would question the Edmonton offence for not doing much if it wasn’t for the fact that glaring Winnipeg defensive lapses lead to numerous scoring plays...?

(and no, there is no Edmonton version of Mr Dee, so don’t bother with the mimicking)

21 hours ago, JCon said:

I interpreted your comment that you were not satisfied with the progress, so you wanted changes at the top. That means blowing everything up.

I'm not satisfied with the progress. I was hoping for a playoff game year 1 and expecting one year 2. I was hoping for a playoff win year 2 and expecting one year 3. MOS gave us 2 years out of the playoffs and 2 years of one and done so far. I have to wait at least until year 5 to get the playoff win I've been expecting since year 2. (Don't tell my my expectations are out of whack, Jones matched them with Regina and Trestman matched them with Toronto this year).

Getting rid of O'Shea, which shouldn't happen this off season, doesn't mean blowing everything up. We have a solid core of players that we'd keep when we change out the HC.

As for PLAP... I didn't like him as our choice for OC, but unlike 17, I can see that he's done a very good job. He still make some dumb mistakes like not sticking with what's working, but overall, he's been just what we needed. Other teams will see that and he has HC experience, so I expect him to get at least one HC offer in the off season. The money and prestige are one thing, but the ability to make all the decisions himself will probably be the reason he takes a HC job.

9 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

The Edmonton version of TBurg would question the Edmonton offence for not doing much if it wasn’t for the fact that glaring Winnipeg defensive lapses lead to numerous scoring plays...?

(and no, there is no Edmonton version of Mr Dee, so don’t bother with the mimicking)

The Edmonton version of Deeboy would mock the Edmonton version of TBurg and tell him not to mock back. The Edmonton version of TBurg would mock back anyway. :lol:

Count me among those who are unsatisfied with the progress made. Hosting a WSF was nice and all, but that means little now that the season is over. A playoff win was the next step required and that didn't happen. What really chaps my hide is it was basically one shitty quarter that did them in - and that's a tough pill to swallow.

I will say I don't think it's all on the head coach, even though I didn't (and still don't) like his decision to retain Hall as DC after last season. Walters and the scouting team also share in the blame for some mediocre recruiting and not addressing depth issues, particularly at receiver, LB, and DB. Granted, there were some rookie finds who have potential (Washington, Santos-Knox, Walker), but we saw how their struggles affected the team's success during the season.

This team appears to be just a few pieces away from being a contender, IMO. I just hope the organization takes these necessary steps in the off-season. Five years is more than enough time to win a playoff game or two.

3 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Count me among those who are unsatisfied with the progress made. Hosting a WSF was nice and all, but that means little now that the season is over. A playoff win was the next step required and that didn't happen. What really chaps my hide is it was basically one shitty quarter that did them in - and that's a tough pill to swallow.

I will say I don't think it's all on the head coach, even though I didn't (and still don't) like his decision to retain Hall as DC after last season. Walters and the scouting team also share in the blame for some mediocre recruiting and not addressing depth issues, particularly at receiver, LB, and DB. Granted, there were some rookie finds who have potential (Washington, Santos-Knox, Walker), but we saw how their struggles affected the team's success during the season.

This team appears to be just a few pieces away from being a contender, IMO. I just hope the organization takes these necessary steps in the off-season. Five years is more than enough time to win a playoff game or two.

Dave Richie always said a rookie will cost you minimum one game a season for however many rookies you start.. shame our loss had to come in a playoff game.   Walker and Alexander will be better next season if they are still in our secondary.. I just hope its under a new game plan and DC.  I liked Hall but enough is enough.. if your players are consistently out of position... it becomes an issue of who is teaching them to be in those positions..

19 hours ago, Jacquie said:

this is true generally if the guy hops right back, but we have seen it called before too when ball isn't snapped, and it happened to Wpg in that fashion in the same game.

Lost in it all tho was the fact the D-lineman was in the neutral zone...then stood there at first and made no apparent attempt to get back originally and hence why it should have been called..Probably why Gossen never snapped it cause the guys was just standing in there...Blown call if you ask me

23 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Edmonton went into soft zone. Kept everything in front of them. Just made tackles and forced us to take time off the clock. On offense, they mostly ran and threw a few safe passes to make sure they didn't turn the ball over, which was about the only way we had any chance of coming back in the game.

This is my feelings as well. I rate MOS an Average HC - LP - above average OC - Hall - F- as a DC and the front office with a "C-" over all. Saw some progress this year but IMHO minor in nature.  To get to the next level requires a new DC and some talent at the obvious places along with ensure we do not lose to many of our key players to free agency etc. 

I would give the entire organization from top to bottom a "C" at best.

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

this is true generally if the guy hops right back, but we have seen it called before too when ball isn't snapped, and it happened to Wpg in that fashion in the same game.

Lost in it all tho was the fact the D-lineman was in the neutral zone...then stood there at first and made no apparent attempt to get back originally and hence why it should have been called..Probably why Gossen never snapped it cause the guys was just standing in there...Blown call if you ask me

and thats how I perceived it as well.  He not only stepped into the neutral zone but then stood there with his arms up and lingered for a good long while.. how was that blown dead? 

didnt make any sense to me BUT Goose could have easily made it a penalty just by snapping the ball back to Nichols even if he wasn't expecting it.   blown call but also blown play by us.

CFL officiating is a pile of steaming turds pretty much every game; neither semi-final was an exception. And it doesn't seem to be getting better. It's a damned shame the league continues to turn a seemingly blind eye at it. A focus on improving officiating should be a top priority going forward.