What Changes do the Bombers Need this Off-season to Improve the Team?

Wanna-B-Fanboy

With this off-season, what changes would you like to see? What types of changes do you think would vault us into elite status? Please share.

....And the trifecta is complete- one thread for ranting, showing appreciation and now one for improvements.

Some Notes from replies (pg 1):

• More Aggressive D-co-ordinator
  • Better MLB
  • Better SAM
  • Better Scouting
  • Game breaking WR
  • better Back-up QBs 
  • Quality National CB
  • a Finch type of returner (Fast as ****)
  • Keep acquiring new people all season long
  • Let the coach adjust to the personnel's strengths and weaknesses
  • talent trumps attitude

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

We need American receiver talent but I wouldn't hold my breath cause Walters is far and away the worst GM at scouting them. Better hope Eric rogers shakes loose or something.

We need fresh blood in the linebacking core sans Santos-knox. Honestly i think its almost impossible for any team to win it all with Hurl. He's just an absolute abomination. I'm a big o'shea fan but if he brings Hurl back I might start to sour on him.

Secondary, hard to evaluate. The talent is there but they were told to play soft so who knows. 

QB/RB/o-line - good. (Thank god)

D-line improved a lot I felt so not too worried there.

Scouting has been a slow process for the bombers but the foundation is there. Just need a couple more game breakers.

Also we need aggression from our coordinators next year. 

Edited by Judd

As another nail in Richie Hall's coffin: the Bombers were in the game for the first half and the offence was still perking in the second half, but the Eskimos made half-time adjustments and shredded the Bomber defence. Hall's offence made no corrections and the Esks ran away with the game. Westerman and Leggett would have made no difference and even if Hurl had been a decent MLB, that would not have stopped the slaughter, just slowed it down a bit.

1. new DC
  2. new MLB
  3. a proven possession receiver
  4. another deep threat receiver
  5. improved depth at key positions

The team is only a handful of pieces away from contending for a championship, IMO. But some of these changes should've been made last year. Hall had no business being back, Hurl getting a starting role on D was bewilderingly stupid, and signing another proven receiver seemed like a no brainer.

My list...

1. DC - a competent defense would go a long way. I believe we have some good personnel in place (except the big hole at MLB). If we didn't have the worst defense, we could be a really good team.   
  2. MLB - Someone who doesn't just get consumed by blockers. 
  3. WR - Actually scout and bring in some decent receiver talent. Have to think the receiving corps will look a whole lot different next year. 
  4. Backup QB - I thought we had decent depth at QB, that clearly wasn't the case. Back to the drawing board...

4 minutes ago, Dr. Blue said:

My list...

1. DC - a competent defense would go a long way. I believe we have some good personnel in place (except the big hole at MLB). If we didn't have the worst defense, we could be a really good team.   
  2. MLB - Someone who doesn't just get consumed by blockers. 
  3. WR - Actually scout and bring in some decent receiver talent. Have to think the receiving corps will look a whole lot different next year. 
  4. Backup QB - I thought we had decent depth at QB, that clearly wasn't the case. Back to the drawing board...

Id agree with this... 

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Id agree with this... 

as do I with one asterisk.  Davis didn't look good or polished BUT he does have the physical tools. I'd give him some more rope before cutting him adrift.   His arm strength and physicality seem good.  Can he improve his reading and get the ball out on time as well as on target?

Playmaking LB, depth at QB, better import receivers, y'know, same as everyone.

Assuming Bond is headed for the NFL for at least half of next year, I'd also like to see us add some national hog depth and roll out three Canucks on the OL.

Is Davis going to be back next year?  After three years as the designated QB of the future, I was shocked when he didn't start against Calgary.

Figure Denmark has gotta be done.  When we needed him most, he was invisible.

Don't know who's out there or who will be but Ritchie Hall has got to go

Get on with replacing Hurl with a dominant MLB and either bring in Andy Mulumba or deal him

I'd like to see a bigger receiver brought in like an Arceneaux or Green

Not a knock on Fogg but I'd like to see a speedy returner added...like a Banks or Finch

Lastly I'd like to see our scouting dept. improved....it's middling to poor

Get that done and we would definitely be a Cup favourite because the rest of the makings are there

Apologies for posting drunk last night.

Mike O'Shea is a players coach but maybe that isn't what they need.

The linebackers and secondary need a complete overhaul, I'm not convinced it's all on Rich Hall.

We need better receivers, I don't even know if I would keep Dressler at this point, at least not for the money he's making. For all the good Lapo does for the offense, he does just as much bad.

WE need to bring in a new philosophy about changing player personnel: the roster is not set on July 1 and rigidly adhered to unless a veteran is hurt: what barf!

Keep acquiring new people all season long and don't disqualify them because they have a history with another CFL club. Bring in the best of the talent and pay up for them, even if it means we have to adjust some of our schemes and protocols to fit the new player. Let the coach adjust to the personnel's strengths and weaknesses; don't force the players into a predetermined mould for either offence or defence

Don't judge their attitudes – – evaluate them on the merits of their play. We are not running a kindergarten that hands out participation ribbons. Reward good play and improvement – – don't suppress emerging talent as if a newbie has to go through some kind of initiation.

Set up a player feedback system so communication can go 2 ways - - divining from the board room never seems to work particularly well no matter how smart management is.

Let the team develop its own emerging  "Espirit du Cours" rather than forcing certain philosophy and loyalties upon them. Remember the crazy nut cases we had the last time we went to the Grey Cup? We played way above our heads because of the way we believed in ourselves… And that belief was self composed.

2 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Don't know who's out there or who will be but Ritchie Hall has got to go

Get on with replacing Hurl with a dominant MLB and either bring in Andy Mulumba or deal him

I'd like to see a bigger receiver brought in like an Arceneaux or Green

Not a knock on Fogg but I'd like to see a speedy returner added...like a Banks or Finch

Lastly I'd like to see our scouting dept. improved....it's middling to poor

Get that done and we would definitely be a Cup favourite because the rest of the makings are there

How is that a knock on Fogg?

I think I'm just going to change my signature line to "It's Richie Hall - no 't'" until he's gone.