Around the League 2017 - Playoffs

Rich

Just now, sweep the leg said:

Great is pretty strong. I think he fits somewhere between "unequivocally cannot punt" and great. 

No he is great.  His punting accuracy is excellent.  He lacks the deep, booming punts but he is very good at pinning teams deep in their own end and avoiding putting it into the endzone or between the numbers where good returners will kill you.

1 minute ago, sweep the leg said:

Great is pretty strong. I think he fits somewhere between "unequivocally cannot punt" and great. 

for a guy who was a place kicker his entire time developing who learned it on the fly and continued to learn it, its pretty great. 

its not Jonny puntface great but pretty great.  Serna couldn't punt to save his life.. Ditto Westwood..  both guys learned it on the fly and failed miserably at it.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

Medlock is a great punter.  Sometimes I wonder what games people have been watching.

Worst punting average in the year and I’d venture he has the worst hang time too. Sorry, but his short, low line drives don’t impress me. 

What games people have been watching is a good question indeed.

19 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Worst punting average in the year and I’d venture he has the worst hang time too. Sorry, but his short, low line drives don’t impress me. 

Justin Medlock had a 43.7 punting yardage average,  tied for 8th.

However, he had the 3rd best net punting average of 35.2, which is the more important stat.

1 hour ago, Blueandgold said:

Punting average?  Really?  That's your go-to stat for judging a punter?  Hahaha ok checkmate, I guess..... :lol:

13 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

Well, we know you haven't been watching any. Medlock's punting was damn good way more often than not.

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Well, we know you haven't been watching any. Medlock's punting was damn good way more often than not.

True, but every player has to be weighed on a cost/benefit basis, and Medlock may be just too expensive compared to a replacement and that money might be better used elsewhere.

13 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Justin Medlock had a 43.7 punting yardage average,  tied for 8th.

However, he had the 3rd best net punting average of 35.2, which is the more important stat.

that IS the stat that you should be concerning yourself with actually....You ever hear the term out kicking your coverage?...thats what happens with just long bombs as punts

8 minutes ago, tracker said:

True, but every player has to be weighed on a cost/benefit basis, and Medlock may be just too expensive compared to a replacement and that money might be better used elsewhere.

I couldn't agree more. An incentivized contract would be nice going forward but I doubt he'd ever be on board with that.

7 hours ago, SPuDS said:

I've heard that the newbie is ready to roll so hopefully he comes out in TC and makes our decision towards Medlock easier... that or Medlock just walks on his own accord..

I'd like him back, personally but not for what we paid him last time...

What I liked about Medlock was even though he struggled at times he also came back with some good performances unlike Hajrullahu who once he got into a funk, stayed in it the whole damned season.

looks like this thread has been hijacked with Medlock discussions (is Nasty Nate still around) :) - Would like to get it back on topic which is the playoffs. IMHO the Riders have a great chance to do what no cross over team has done - Win the East. I think they are 1) for real and 2) have a good chance to beat the Argos. 

As for the West can not help but think that Calgary is just laying in the weeds getting ready to lay one on the Esks. Therefore I am predicting a Rider -Stamps Grey Cup!

What do others think? And IMHO what ever Medlock does or  does not do does not belong on this thread IMHO.

5 minutes ago, BBRT said:

looks like this thread has been hijacked with Medlock discussions (is Nasty Nate still around) :) - Would like to get it back on topic which is the playoffs. IMHO the Riders have a great chance to do what no cross over team has done - Win the East. I think they are 1) for real and 2) have a good chance to beat the Argos. 

As for the West can not help but think that Calgary is just laying in the weeds getting ready to lay one on the Esks. Therefore I am predicting a Rider -Stamps Grey Cup!

What do others think? And IMHO what ever Medlock does or  does not do does not belong on this thread IMHO.

I hope the Riders lose 65-0 (and that would be too good for them) and I hope the Esks/Stamps both look like **** and a whole pile of players go down with non-career threatening injuries, and then whoever goes to the final vs Toronto, I hope both them and Toronto look like complete dog **** and even more players suffer non-career threatening injuries.....every single team and player remaining can go f*** themselves with a rusty fork....

17 minutes ago, BBRT said:

So what you're saying is you want us to focus on Medlock. :D

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I hope the Riders lose 65-0 (and that would be too good for them) and I hope the Esks/Stamps both look like **** and a whole pile of players go down with non-career threatening injuries, and then whoever goes to the final vs Toronto, I hope both them and Toronto look like complete dog **** and even more players suffer non-career threatening injuries.....every single team and player remaining can go f*** themselves with a rusty fork....

I unequivocally prefer - Medlock 

2 hours ago, BBRT said:

It is actually a general thread for any random CFL discussion topic or piece of news during the playoffs that doesn't necessarily need its own thread.   We had one for the regular season, one for the playoffs, and will for the off season as well.  

The Medlock report / statement broke during the playoffs, so it is fair game.  That tweet is actually the very first post in this thread.