Blue Bomber Free Agent List

sweep the leg

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

It's Randle's career & he's doing what he deems to be the right thing. Why are people so eager to give career advice on something they know nothing about? 

I think we’re mostly just curious because it seems so futile.

Does he not have an agent? Did his agent tell him that he wasn’t generating any interest so he took matters into his own hands? Does he think that in a multi-million dollar organization like an NFL team, the twitter kid has any contact with the player personnel people?

Just now, Jesse said:

Does he not have an agent? Did his agent tell him that he wasn’t generating any interest so he took matters into his own hands? Does he think that in a multi-million dollar organization like an NFL team, the twitter kid has any contact with the player personnel people?

I'm sure he has an agent. Let the man do what he wants to do. He's been a pro player for years. He knows more people & has more contacts who know more about the inner workings of pro football than any of us. 

Just now, Jesse said:

You're out of touch if you think the person behind their social media is a "kid". They are legit the face of the business. Your social media presence is extremely important in todays world. Aaand players/agents/teams dont care how players are discovered. Every shot you dont take is a miss. Whats the harm?

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm sure he has an agent. Let the man do what he wants to do. He's been a pro player for years. He knows more people & has more contacts who know more about the inner workings of pro football than any of us. 

You seem to be arguing against yourself. If he knows so many people and he has so many contacts, why is he not using them and instead relying on social media? And if he knows so much about the inner workings, why is he not going that route?

I do not begrudge the man an opportunity, I just don’t understand why he’s going about it in this way.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

You're out of touch if you think the person behind their social media is a "kid". They are legit the face of the business. Your social media presence is extremely important in todays world. Aaand players/agents/teams dont care how players are discovered. Every shot you dont take is a miss. Whats the harm?

Going off topic here, but the twitter account is going to be run by someone hired to be witty and social media savvy. I’m sure the overwhelming majority of these people are on the young side and 0% have any contact with football operations.

13 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

How so?

might look cheap or desperate?

I can see both sides of the coin here. There are a lot of success stories that involve someone going out on a real limb or getting really outside the box. I could also see the notion that tweeting a teams general twitter feed to get a workout might be a very low percentage idea.

Edited by Fraser

Okay, so I'm gonna give a bit of an example...it might not be perfect, but I think it'll help.....

In my job, I'm sent dozens of song submissions per week from various singers/bands to get on the radio. Most of these come through the proper channels. They come from a Publicist or a Manager or a Record Label Rep. The songs are sent via a digital media download service that, for a fee, provides a hub for all new music, where radio stations go and stream it and, if they like it, download it for airplay. 

Once a week, the representative for the singer/band will send an email out reminding radio stations about the song that's out currently, and available for radio, should they choose to play it. Sometimes they'll send chart statistics showing how well the song is doing on Billboard and such, to provide more incentive to play it. 

Occasionally, an artist will completely bypass these channels, and try go to our station Facebook page, and drop a YouTube video of their latest release. They don't ask if they can use our FB page for this purpose...they just do it...and somehow think this will get our attention and we'll want to play their song. Sometimes, they'll send us a PM via FB (slightly better). Occasionally, it'll be Twitter...."hey, have you seen our latest song? You should be playing this!"   

Wrong. There's proper channels set up for these sorts of things....there's a way things are done. If you don't act like a professional, and do things in a professional manner, it becomes counter-productive......there's less chance you're going to achieve your goal.

Again, this isn't a perfect example, but I think it's close to what we're talking about with CR8.........which pains me, because I love the guy and think he's one of the most underrated players in the league. I'm a HUGE Chris Randle fan.

38 minutes ago, Fraser said:

might look cheap or desperate?

I can see both sides of the coin here. There are a lot of success stories that involve someone going out on a real limb or getting really outside the box. I could also see the notion that tweeting a teams general twitter feed to get a workout might be a very low percentage idea.

If its good enough for Trump, ... er ...

39 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Okay, so I'm gonna give a bit of an example...it might not be perfect, but I think it'll help.....

In my job, I'm sent dozens of song submissions per week from various singers/bands to get on the radio. Most of these come through the proper channels. They come from a Publicist or a Manager or a Record Label Rep. The songs are sent via a digital media download service that, for a fee, provides a hub for all new music, where radio stations go and stream it and, if they like it, download it for airplay. 

Once a week, the representative for the singer/band will send an email out reminding radio stations about the song that's out currently, and available for radio, should they choose to play it. Sometimes they'll send chart statistics showing how well the song is doing on Billboard and such, to provide more incentive to play it. 

Occasionally, an artist will completely bypass these channels, and try go to our station Facebook page, and drop a YouTube video of their latest release. They don't ask if they can use our FB page for this purpose...they just do it...and somehow think this will get our attention and we'll want to play their song. Sometimes, they'll send us a PM via FB (slightly better). Occasionally, it'll be Twitter...."hey, have you seen our latest song? You should be playing this!"   

Wrong. There's proper channels set up for these sorts of things....there's a way things are done. If you don't act like a professional, and do things in a professional manner, it becomes counter-productive......there's less chance you're going to achieve your goal.

Again, this isn't a perfect example, but I think it's close to what we're talking about with CR8.........which pains me, because I love the guy and think he's one of the most underrated players in the league. I'm a HUGE Chris Randle fan.

That's a fair point. But at the same time, there's still a 0.00001% chance that someone might see it who has the correct connections and can make something happen. Even if it's not with your organization. Maybe I'm biased as I wouldn't have the career I have now if I had continued to follow the protocol. I agree that it likely doesn't look good, and likely won't work. BUUUUT, it might. And it's that small little chance that makes people like Randle (people who need to do everything they possible can to gain an advantage) do these types of things.

Anyway, I know you're a fan of Randles and I do respect your opinion. Just trying to help explain why someone is driven to do weird things like that. When you want something that bad, you do everything and anything you can think of to get it. Even if that means looking like a desperate idiot.

8 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

That's a fair point. But at the same time, there's still a 0.00001% chance that someone might see it who has the correct connections and can make something happen. Even if it's not with your organization. Maybe I'm biased as I wouldn't have the career I have now if I had continued to follow the protocol. I agree that it likely doesn't look good, and likely won't work. BUUUUT, it might. And it's that small little chance that makes people like Randle (people who need to do everything they possible can to gain an advantage) do these types of things.

Anyway, I know you're a fan of Randles and I do respect your opinion. Just trying to help explain why someone is driven to do weird things like that. When you want something that bad, you do everything and anything you can think of to get it. Even if that means looking like a desperate idiot.

totally get what this half of the conversation is saying, I think, in my mind anyhow, that 0.000001% chance might be outweighed by the "this looks unprofessional", if you wanted to play the odds.....but, again, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread.....what does he have to lose at this point? If it's his last shot, then throw some **** against the wall and see what sticks. Worst case scenario, you stay in the CFL. And who knows, maybe he did all the "proper channels" thing already, it didn't work, so he's throwing a hail mary with his last chance. Best of luck to him, anyhow...

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

totally get what this half of the conversation is saying, I think, in my mind anyhow, that 0.000001% chance might be outweighed by the "this looks unprofessional", if you wanted to play the odds.....but, again, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread.....what does he have to lose at this point? If it's his last shot, then throw some **** against the wall and see what sticks. Worst case scenario, you stay in the CFL. And who knows, maybe he did all the "proper channels" thing already, it didn't work, so he's throwing a hail mary with his last chance. Best of luck to him, anyhow...

This is kind of the opposite of 'I think less of him'...

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

In fairness, I think a LOT of him, so thinking less.....still quite a bit......

Maybe your nuances get lost in the arrogant and reactionary tone of the initial posts.

My apologies to you and 17to85...  I thought you were taking a shot at Randle for busting his ass.

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Maybe your nuances get lost in the arrogant and reactionary tone of the initial posts.

My apologies to you and 17to85...  I thought you were taking a shot at Randle for busting his ass.

I think the problem is that you're clearly a bit of a lunatic, so you assume everyone else is, too.......but most of us are pretty rational, level-headed posters...