Blue Bomber Free Agent List

sweep the leg

So, there are proper channels for this sort of thing, like in the music industry, where an artist had to go through the right people, so they could do right by you, and help you make it big by getting your product out there into the hands of the right people the right way, and then along came Napster to upset the whole industry because, y'know, those right people weren't making their cut any more, and your product was out there for everyone to have easy access to. Ooops. Yeah, Randle better be careful with that evil Twitter stuff, and yeah, I can see where someone working in that industry would be really upset for him not going through the "right channels" and think less of him. LOL! What a joke! This thread is awesome!

Edited by J5V
Spelling

1 hour ago, J5V said:

So, there are proper channels for this sort of thing, like in the music industry, where an artist had to go through the right people, so they could do right by you, and help you make it big by getting your product out there into the hands of the right people the right way, and then along came Napster to upset the whole industry because, y'know, those right people weren't making their cut any more, and your product was out there for everyone to have easy access to. Ooops. Yeah, Randle better be careful with that evil Twitter stuff, and yeah, I can see where someone working in that industry would be really upset for him not going through the "right channels" and think less of him. LOL! What a joke! This thread is awesome!

Things go better with Payola.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:01 AM, Noeller said:

Okay, so I'm gonna give a bit of an example...it might not be perfect, but I think it'll help.....

In my job, I'm sent dozens of song submissions per week from various singers/bands to get on the radio. Most of these come through the proper channels. They come from a Publicist or a Manager or a Record Label Rep. The songs are sent via a digital media download service that, for a fee, provides a hub for all new music, where radio stations go and stream it and, if they like it, download it for airplay. 

Once a week, the representative for the singer/band will send an email out reminding radio stations about the song that's out currently, and available for radio, should they choose to play it. Sometimes they'll send chart statistics showing how well the song is doing on Billboard and such, to provide more incentive to play it. 

Occasionally, an artist will completely bypass these channels, and try go to our station Facebook page, and drop a YouTube video of their latest release. They don't ask if they can use our FB page for this purpose...they just do it...and somehow think this will get our attention and we'll want to play their song. Sometimes, they'll send us a PM via FB (slightly better). Occasionally, it'll be Twitter...."hey, have you seen our latest song? You should be playing this!"   

Wrong. There's proper channels set up for these sorts of things....there's a way things are done. If you don't act like a professional, and do things in a professional manner, it becomes counter-productive......there's less chance you're going to achieve your goal.

Again, this isn't a perfect example, but I think it's close to what we're talking about with CR8.........which pains me, because I love the guy and think he's one of the most underrated players in the league. I'm a HUGE Chris Randle fan.

The only thing I'll say is the radio business isn't professional sports. Teams have scouts & PPD's. Their job is to find the best players possible from wherever they play however they can. Radio stations don't.  Music directors from radio stations don't go out & purposely sign unknown bands or performers to contracts to record, promote & guide their careers in the music industry. That's the job of record labels. If a football player sends info on himself in an unconventional way it still is in the best interest of an NFL or CFL team to look at what they sent as another club will if they don't. If Randle feels this is an effective way to do business to boost his career then  who are we (other than fans) to say he's wrong? Again, I just don't get the angst here with Chris Randle? 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

27 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The only thing I'll say is the radio business isn't professional sports. Teams have scouts & PPD's. Their job is to find the best players possible from wherever they play however they can. Radio stations don't.  Music directors from radio stations don't go out & purposely sign unknown bands or performers to contracts to record, promote & guide their careers in the music industry. That's the job of record labels. If a football player sends info on himself in an unconventional way it still is in the best interest of an NFL or CFL team to look at what they sent as another club will if they don't. If Randle feels this is an effective way to do business to boost his career then  who are we (other than fans) to say he's wrong? Again, I just don't get the angst here with Chris Randle? 

QFT. I'll add that the radio business like much of the music industry is stuck in the dark ages. It's the digital age now. Adapt or be like the dinosaurs. I'd expect a dinosaur to have a lot of angst though. They're about to become irrelevant. They know something is changing but just can't quite figure it out. LOL!

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

This is exactly it though, NFL teams spend [ungodly amount of ] money on scouting and recruiting players. None of those individuals have anything to do with the team twitter feed.

Again, no angst against Randle - I think he’s our best defensive player - just curiosity about the thought process. It doesn’t make sense to me.

Edited by Jesse

22 hours ago, Jesse said:

This is exactly it though, NFL teams spend [ungodly amount of ] money on scouting and recruiting players. And it's likely None of those individuals have anything to do with the team twitter feed.

Again, no angst against Randle - I think he’s our best defensive player - just curiosity about the thought process. It doesn’t make sense to me.

FIFY

Kelly Moore @KMooreCJOB 5m5 minutes ago

@Wpg_BlueBombers agree to terms on 1 year deal with @WestonDressler7 Missed 7 games but Pro rated over full sched, he would have caught 83 passes for 1130 yards in 2017. Had 9 receptions for 114 yards and 2 TD's in #Bombers #CFL West SF loss to Edmonton.

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎15 at 10:01 AM, Noeller said:

Okay, so I'm gonna give a bit of an example...it might not be perfect, but I think it'll help.....

In my job, I'm sent dozens of song submissions per week from various singers/bands to get on the radio. Most of these come through the proper channels. They come from a Publicist or a Manager or a Record Label Rep. The songs are sent via a digital media download service that, for a fee, provides a hub for all new music, where radio stations go and stream it and, if they like it, download it for airplay. 

Once a week, the representative for the singer/band will send an email out reminding radio stations about the song that's out currently, and available for radio, should they choose to play it. Sometimes they'll send chart statistics showing how well the song is doing on Billboard and such, to provide more incentive to play it. 

Occasionally, an artist will completely bypass these channels, and try go to our station Facebook page, and drop a YouTube video of their latest release. They don't ask if they can use our FB page for this purpose...they just do it...and somehow think this will get our attention and we'll want to play their song. Sometimes, they'll send us a PM via FB (slightly better). Occasionally, it'll be Twitter...."hey, have you seen our latest song? You should be playing this!"   

Wrong. There's proper channels set up for these sorts of things....there's a way things are done. If you don't act like a professional, and do things in a professional manner, it becomes counter-productive......there's less chance you're going to achieve your goal.

Again, this isn't a perfect example, but I think it's close to what we're talking about with CR8.........which pains me, because I love the guy and think he's one of the most underrated players in the league. I'm a HUGE Chris Randle fan.

I see your point Noeller, but there are literally hundreds of musical acts that were discovered on Youtube because they took a shot and posted their stuff after radio stations turned them away.  My teenagers IPOD is loaded with music that I guarantee receives almost zero radio play and is put out by Indie artists on Youtube and other internet mediums.  Some of the best new songs I've heard are most certainly not on radio play rotation.

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

Kelly Moore @KMooreCJOB 5m5 minutes ago

@Wpg_BlueBombers agree to terms on 1 year deal with @WestonDressler7 Missed 7 games but Pro rated over full sched, he would have caught 83 passes for 1130 yards in 2017. Had 9 receptions for 114 yards and 2 TD's in #Bombers #CFL West SF loss to Edmonton.

I see it now. We win the Grey Cup next year and he retires on top.

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

I'm really happy with Dressler's re-signing. When he's in the line-up, he's incredibly effective at getting the ball and drawing coverage away from our other receivers.

And, he's a heck of a guy.

Smart, fast, runs crisp routes.  That slant thru the middle he runs 12 yards deep, not a lot of DBs can defend that.