Blue Bomber Free Agent List

sweep the leg

8 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I'm not sure I've seen enough of that from Walters, Wally does this no question. Then again, I don't know the contract details so its a moo point.

I don't know about that, seems he's always cutting a veteran DB to save money, he turfed Denmark the first time because he made too much money, he didn't keep Euclid Cummings last year cause the performance wasn't up to the pay scale. Wasted no time moving Drew Willy when he lost his job to Nichols. I think there are plenty of examples of Walters moving on from guys without hesitation if they aren't earning their money. 

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I don't know about that, seems he's always cutting a veteran DB to save money, he turfed Denmark the first time because he made too much money, he didn't keep Euclid Cummings last year cause the performance wasn't up to the pay scale. Wasted no time moving Drew Willy when he lost his job to Nichols. I think there are plenty of examples of Walters moving on from guys without hesitation if they aren't earning their money. 

I know we'll never really know exact amounts, but it'd be interesting to compare how much Denmark was making when he returned compared to when he was shipped out.

22 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I think Walters would be crazy to let any of these guys walk...  this is where signings like Neufeld and Wild are head scratchers for me - if they didn't get raises, great but...

32 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Me too but thats the nature of the salary cap world we live in nowadays.  I hope Walters isn't lowballing Leggett cuz of his injury.   I can't imagine Randall being let to hit the open market either... Heath tho, seems to be a likely odd man out, which definitely sucks.. He is a very talented DB.

7 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I think Walters would be crazy to let any of these guys walk...  this is where signings like Neufeld and Wild are head scratchers for me - if they didn't get raises, great but...

well Neufie makes sense if we are making a serious push to change the o-line ratio and Wild is an excellent WIL when healthy.  I'd imagine his contract was team friendly, seeing how his durability has been in question the last 2 seasons..

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I'd be shocked if Randle was not back with the club

that makes 2 of us. I doubt that he will even make it to FA, hes too key a cog for our defense.

3 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Me too but thats the nature of the salary cap world we live in nowadays.  I hope Walters isn't lowballing Leggett cuz of his injury.   I can't imagine Randall being let to hit the open market either... Heath tho, seems to be a likely odd man out, which definitely sucks.. He is a very talented DB.

Some big name talent has to take the fall for Richie Hall's schemes...  Heath's name has been out there as 'freelancing' - I doubt we see him back... too bad.

I just don't like what seems like signing expensive backups - if Neufeld is starting, that makes our OL worse, if he's backup, he's using salary cap...  time for Couture to step up

Instead of the team focusing on MLB and WR, now it seems like they're looking at overhauling the secondary...?

13 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Some big name talent has to take the fall for Richie Hall's schemes...  Heath's name has been out there as 'freelancing' - I doubt we see him back... too bad.

I just don't like what seems like signing expensive backups - if Neufeld is starting, that makes our OL worse, if he's backup, he's using salary cap...  time for Couture to step up

Instead of the team focusing on MLB and WR, now it seems like they're looking at overhauling the secondary...?

I think looks can be deceiving. I don't believe we are overhauling the secondary..  I do think you are accurate on Heath though.  I'm thinking Leggett and Randle will both be back.  (or at least bloody well hope so) I'd imagine that we would be looking to get Couture in as the starting LG, or Neuf with Couture backing up.  Spooner will hopefully be signed as well (can't imagine he won't be seeing as how he showed his loyalty on the PR last year) and I'd bet another lineman drafted in the first.

or we bring another lineman in from another teams PR/cuts/trade/etc.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Pretty sure we'll get Randle and Leggett but I'd be shocked to see Heath back... Read between the lines of the Walters/Tait convo from yesterday, and I feel like there's a lotta things going against him...

me too.  I gotta feeling he has been the black sheep in the secondary but we never really knew about it until this off-season.    kept the dysfunction in-house, which is nice.  I like what Heath brings to the table but I don't like a guy who can't buy into the team concepts.

15 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

me too.  I gotta feeling he has been the black sheep in the secondary but we never really knew about it until this off-season.    kept the dysfunction in-house, which is nice.  I like what Heath brings to the table but I don't like a guy who can't buy into the team concepts.

Every off-season it feels like there's a 'leak' like this...  Bass 'not a team player' last year, Heath 'freelancing' this year...  

Trouble is that both Leggett and Randle jump as many routes as Heath does - and what team concept are we talking about when there's no safety help

I'd be blown away if Legget didn't resign. He's still in WPG and is always talking about how much he likes it here. Randle I think they will need to spend a bit on. And he is worth it. Heath I can see being the odd man out. Forget about the freelancing etc etc. It's just the nature of the beast. You can't spend all the money on one piece, same as Bond. Both players will get offers, but they likely both want more $$ and probably deserve it. Saying that, replacing 1 of 5(6 including SAM) is not in a rebuilding of the secondary. And will be the norm moving forward. You just won't see WR groups, DB groups, Oline groups etc etc remain intact every year. There will always be turn over.

4 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Every off-season it feels like there's a 'leak' like this...  Bass 'not a team player' last year, Heath 'freelancing' this year...  

Trouble is that both Leggett and Randle jump as many routes as Heath does - and what team concept are we talking about when there's no safety help

thats part of why the team concept is so important.  if you leave your post to try and snag a pick, without coverage, you are leaving your unit mates hung out to dry ESPECIALLY when there is no safety help. 

the team concept in my mind, for our defense, is stay within your role and don't get cute.   when someone goes off cue,  problems happen.   uneducated guess of course but I don't think we had much in the way of "wiggle-room" so to speak and when people chose to deviate, problems ensued. 

2 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Bond is a must sign in my mind, I feel like he’s gone but not opening up the bank for him will be a huge mistake. 

normally I'd agree with you but I think his price tag, plus his NFL aspirations plus our desire to re-jig the ratio means the likelihood of us bringing him back is remote.   its a damn shame because I did feel he was one of the best linemen in the league last year.

15 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

the team concept in my mind, for our defense, is stay within your role and don't get cute.   when someone goes off cue,  problems happen.   uneducated guess of course but I don't think we had much in the way of "wiggle-room" so to speak and when people chose to deviate, problems ensued. 

I'd be very curious how many of our defensive TDs were the result of 'off-script'...  I think most of them are vets dropping coverage and jumping routes...

Every great player freelances - every average player, such as Hurl, follows orders

20 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Bond is a must sign in my mind, I feel like he’s gone but not opening up the bank for him will be a huge mistake. 

16 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

normally I'd agree with you but I think his price tag, plus his NFL aspirations plus our desire to re-jig the ratio means the likelihood of us bringing him back is remote.   its a damn shame because I did feel he was one of the best linemen in the league last year.

I agree. I think they want to change the ratio on the line which will cost Bond. I think everyone, including the Bombers, want him back but they have to make a business decision based on the ratio.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Neufeld and Wild both address depth, though. I doubt either was signed for a significant amount and I'd even hazard a guess both are getting base plus incentives based on games played or what have you.

Heath and Randle were both all-stars last season, so no doubt their agents will use that in negotiations. That makes it harder for Walters unless either are interested in taking a trim to stay here. Leggett seems like a lock to stay here, but I have a feeling Walters will end up having to choose between the two others. I really hope I'm wrong on this, though.

11 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Neufeld and Wild both address depth, though. I doubt either was signed for a significant amount and I'd even hazard a guess both are getting base plus incentives based on games played or what have you.

Heath and Randle were both all-stars last season, so no doubt their agents will use that in negotiations. That makes it harder for Walters unless either are interested in taking a trim to stay here. Leggett seems like a lock to stay here, but I have a feeling Walters will end up having to choose between the two others. I really hope I'm wrong on this, though.

yea I'd think Neufie and Wild came at a bit of a discount and incentive based contracts like you've said.  Both are coming off contracts where their dependability and health were in question.  I'm cool with those kind of contracts, even if they live up to them.   I do think that sadly it will come down to Randle versus Heath and I think Randle's worth more to us in his leadership and ability.  Heath is an excellent DB in his own right and I would really dislike losing him but not at the cost of Randle.

15 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

If your strong side is locked down, which it is... you have to keep that group together.

All the signings so far - Dressler, Nevis, Wild, Neufeld, Foketi - are all guys that I wouldn't have blinked if they left...  I'm not panicking but I'm ready for a core piece announcement

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

If your strong side is locked down, which it is... you have to keep that group together.

All the signings so far - Dressler, Nevis, Wild, Neufeld, Foketi - are all guys that I wouldn't have blinked if they left...  I'm not panicking but I'm ready for a core piece announcement

You're absolutely right. And I agree completely. I just have a feeling Walters is going to have his work cut out re-signing the tandem of Heath and Randle. That being said, I don't think the signings of Wild, Neufeld, or Foketi affect those negotiations in any significant way.

You forgot Bryant (easily a core signing) and Medlock, though. ;)

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

You're absolutely right. And I agree completely. I just have a feeling Walters is going to have his work cut out re-signing the tandem of Heath and Randle. That being said, I don't think the signings of Wild, Neufeld, or Foketi affect those negotiations in any significant way.

You forgot Bryant (easily a core signing) and Medlock, though. ;)

ya I'd consider both Bryant and Medlock both as pretty key core pieces.