Blue Bomber Free Agent List

sweep the leg

I don't think Chris Matthews would come back the the CFL.

I think he has his five years of NFL, so gets large pension, and hasn't played much, so probably doesn't have a lot of future problems with his health related to contact .

Seemed like quite a smart guy, and probably can get into college coaching in the USA now.  

I also thought R Ray would retire.

54 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I think its time to stop talking about Eric Rogers and Chris Matthews...  maybe like scout a receiver... like one actual 'discovery'...?

or bring in a previously established CFL proven NFL vet who wants to keep playing?   What would the difference be?  bring in the vet if he wants to play then bring him on down and keep scouting...

seems dumb to disregard any player at this point..

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

I think its time to stop talking about Eric Rogers and Chris Matthews...  maybe like scout a receiver... like one actual 'discovery'...?

Wait, are the Bombers scouting or are we? Should we be providing lists of players that may be available?

I know about Matthews and Rogers, and am unclear as to why we can't talk about them?

Otherwise it's a bunch of names and Youtube videos. Also, not privy to the neg list, so it's hard to determine if players are available to the Bombers.

1 hour ago, SPuDS said:

oh and Givens looked pretty good.. ditto Thorpe..

so they would could as discoveries, no?

Neither one has done enough in the CFL to be called anything yet, the fact that names like that are the best we can bring up in 4 years of Kyle Walters is pretty much the entire argument that he's sucked the big one at finding receivers. 

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Neither one has done enough in the CFL to be called anything yet, the fact that names like that are the best we can bring up in 4 years of Kyle Walters is pretty much the entire argument that he's sucked the big one at finding receivers. 

Dressler and Adams have been pretty good.

14 minutes ago, JCon said:

Dressler and Adams have been pretty good.

I think the point is that neither of those guys were scouted by Walters and his crew.  Adams was brought in by the previous regime and Dressler a FA.

If this club continues its winning ways, there will be more and more churn and had decisions on players that can't be re-signed because of the cap (as we are seeing this season with Westerman, Heath, etc)  As opposed to Walters first few seasons as GM, he could spend like mad in FA because there weren't a lot of established players eating up salary.   

As we now have a core to go forward with, scouting and bringing in quality rookies on cheap contracts is going to be paramount to continued success. 

1 minute ago, Rich said:

I think the point is that neither of those guys were scouted by Walters and his crew.  Adams was brought in by the previous regime and Dressler a FA.

If this club continues its winning ways, there will be more and more churn and had decisions on players that can't be re-signed because of the cap.  As opposed to Walters first few seasons as GM, he could spend like mad in FA because there weren't a lot of established players eating up salary.   

As we now have a core to go forward with, scouting and bringing in quality rookies on cheap contracts is going to be paramount to continued success. 

All fair but they're wearing the Blue and Gold, so, in my mind, Walters's gets credit. As long as he can get quality rookies in other areas, like DBs, then he can have all the gimmes that he can fit into the budget.

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Pretty sure Walters actually signed Adams as a FA his first year as GM here

This is right.  Was looking at his first year in the league, turns out he was in Toronto for 2 years before coming to Winnipeg.

56 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

this is true.   Don't get me wrong, I want us to find our own elite pass catchers as well but its not like every team brings in 3-4 a year and all pan out into 1k receivers.    Hopefully we change the way we are scouting so we get more quality over quantity..

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

They ha e, but both signed as free agents after time with other teams. We need our own pipeline of talent. Can't do everything in free agency.

Who says we're doing everything in FA?

What if we never uncover a single WR or QB as long as we find players in the other positions?

BC-Burnham

Edmonton-Walker, Zylstra

Calgary-Daniles, Jorden

Saskatchewan-Roosevelt, Edwards

Toronto-Hazelton, Spencer, Posey

Hamilton-Sanders

Montreal-Cunningham

With the exception of Ottawa, every other team has found impact receivers in the 4 years, Walters and Co have found 0. Totally an area we need to improve upon.

13 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

BC-Burnham

Edmonton-Walker, Zylstra

Calgary-Daniles, Jorden

Hamilton-Sanders

Montreal-Cunningham

With the exception of Ottawa, every other team has found impact receivers in the 4 years, Walters and Co have found 0. Totally an area we need to improve upon.

You forgot D. Williams - Esks, Caleb Holley - Sask, Shaq Johnson - BC, Lemar Durant, Marken Michel - Calgary

44 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

BC-Burnham

Edmonton-Walker, Zylstra

Calgary-Daniles, Jorden

Hamilton-Sanders

Montreal-Cunningham

The receivers that Ottawa won a GC with were an excellent corps.  Recruitment need not be the be all & end all.

Why do I have to pick and choose where they find talent? The good teams that maintain their success in this league bring in talent at all positions and then they have tons of options in how they build the roster. Not to mention that when injuries hit it is a hell of a lot easier when you got a guy on the PR who can step in and contribute than not having that depth. 

This team is in a point where we don't have to settle for "OK" time to take the step to perennial contenders, and to do that you need to bring in all sorts of players at every position that are worth while. Calgary is plug and play because of it, time for the Bombers to be the same way.