Blue Bomber Free Agent List

sweep the leg

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I guess it could be argued that the lack of a true MLB led to players being out of position due to trying to compensate and that such an addition would reduce those explosive plays.

Maybe, but to me it looked like the soft zone and man coverages were largely to blame.

15 minutes ago, tracker said:

That would stop the runs up the middle and the 5-8 yard passes but the problem of the explosive 20-30 pass completions remains,

One might argue that with a better all around stopper in the middle of the field that the safety would then be more free to help over the top as opposed to having to basically play linebacker as well. 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

One might argue that with a better all around stopper in the middle of the field that the safety would then be more free to help over the top as opposed to having to basically play linebacker as well. 

You could well be correct, and we will not know if Loffler can adapt his game until the bullets fly again, but there were too many times when the opposing receiver was unaccounted for and free to run where he chose.

40 minutes ago, tracker said:

You could well be correct, and we will not know if Loffler can adapt his game until the bullets fly again, but there were too many times when the opposing receiver was unaccounted for and free to run where he chose.

Sure we do. Look at Loffler's rookie season in 2016. When the defense had a capable MLB who didn't require consistent help and the need to be insulated, the safety was able to better do his job and stick to his assignments.

1 hour ago, tracker said:

Well most of the busts occur when someone gets beat in a one on one situation... Presumably if you don't need to always bring your safety down you can sometimes leave him back to help, or change your coverage up so that someone else is providing more help over the top. There were a lot of times last season where it was the dbs having to stick with a guy one on one and if they got mixed up in their coverages it was a big play against. 

Now we can go round and round all day long about whether that was a scheme issues or it was a problem of covering for a sub par linebacking corps (cause let's face it we were lacking at both the middle and WIL position until Santos L. Halper stepped up late in the season and Wild returned) 

7 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

It was funny the defence had different problems in the last two years 2016 they gave up a bunch of long drives limited the big plays. 2017 it was the big play that got them into trouble.

yea its a weird work in progress..   we either let the opposition sustain drives and score..  or stop them from moving until they hit a huge play on us..  

or we cause a fumble/pick/etc and get the ball back quick..  consistency has been this defense's biggest hurdle to get over. 

6 hours ago, Atomic said:

To be fair our defence absolutely did steal a couple games for us this past season.

Yeah, there was that final semi-clinching backup vs backup game against Calgary where our D beat up Buckley much worse than their D beat the Fever.  That was a surprise, given how good the Stamp D and Buckley had looked previously.  I thought we were toast in that game.

That was such a weird game to watch. It seemed like Lapo chopped our playbook down to something that you could run at a high school in Spain.  Never seen a win where a QB passed for 89 yards before.  Lefevour starting was a hell of a slap in the face to the heir apparent D. Davis.  Hey, speaking of Bomber free agents, I wonder  if DD is going to be a free agent this  off-season?

18 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If our offense falters, we'll be in big trouble next year. Our offense wins games. Seldom does our defense with Ritchie Hall calling the schemes. 

back to the topic at hand, since all Bomber threads are about Richie Hill regardless of their title ... something like 30% of our points were generated off turnovers last year, so all this talk of our O winning despite our D doesn't ring true for me.  Sure, if our offense goes to ****, we're not gonna win as many games ... is there a team in football that this is not true for?

We had the top-scoring team  in the CFL last year, but there's no way we had the best offensive coaching or the most dominating talent.  We had the top-scoring team because our ballhawks repeatedly gave our offense short fields, or scored themselves. 

(and also because we'd try a field goal from anywhere inside the 50 yard line, but that's a post for another topic)

Edited by johnzo

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

If the bombers change their ratio and can go with Poop and Nevis in the middle, that's pretty impressive...  

Probably a sign Bombers are moving to three NI OL...?

Assuming poop doesnt get an NFL deal that would be formidable to say the least. The best interior on the DL weve had since brown and fortney  probably. 

I do think thatd be the move. Also westerman coming back to starting on the edge. The end is gonna be real interesting. Ogopogo was a late season monster, and jeffcoat is a beast too. 

4 hours ago, johnzo said:

Yeah, there was that final semi-clinching backup vs backup game against Calgary where our D beat up Buckley much worse than their D beat the Fever.  That was a surprise, given how good the Stamp D and Buckley had looked previously.  I thought we were toast in that game.

That was such a weird game to watch. It seemed like Lapo chopped our playbook down to something that you could run at a high school in Spain.  Never seen a win where a QB passed for 89 yards before.  Lefevour starting was a hell of a slap in the face to the heir apparent D. Davis.  Hey, speaking of Bomber free agents, I wonder  if DD is going to be a free agent this  off-season?

back to the topic at hand, since all Bomber threads are about Richie Hill regardless of their title ... something like 30% of our points were generated off turnovers last year, so all this talk of our O winning despite our D doesn't ring true for me.  Sure, if our offense goes to ****, we're not gonna win as many games ... is there a team in football that this is not true for?

We had the top-scoring team  in the CFL last year, but there's no way we had the best offensive coaching or the most dominating talent.  We had the top-scoring team because our ballhawks repeatedly gave our offense short fields, or scored themselves. 

(and also because we'd try a field goal from anywhere inside the 50 yard line, but that's a post for another topic)

Medlock wasn't Mr Automatic so our O had to be more efficient & they were compared to 2016. Our O won more games than our D did in 2017. We outscored other teams more often than our D stopped them. 

6 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Assuming poop doesnt get an NFL deal that would be formidable to say the least. The best interior on the DL weve had since brown and fortney  probably. 

I do think thatd be the move. Also westerman coming back to starting on the edge. The end is gonna be real interesting. Ogopogo was a late season monster, and jeffcoat is a beast too. 

I could see Westerman as a cap casualty and a rotation of Corney/Thomas/Ekakitie as the NI on DL - really would like to see him back though

7 hours ago, Floyd said:

I could see Westerman as a cap casualty and a rotation of Corney/Thomas/Ekakitie as the NI on DL - really would like to see him back though

Thomas is a pending FA too. I like Thomas but if we can only re-sign one, I rather have Westerman than Thomas.

There will be a lot of options out there for rotational DL .

Edited by M.O.A.B.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

Westerman will be 33 and coming off an injury that could potentially affect him long-term.  I like him and he was a huge addition when we got him but I'd be really careful about how much we are willing to spend.

...the age difference, and the ability of both Ogopogo and Jeffcoat, make me think I'd rather keep Thomas over Busterman, if it was one or the other...