Halifax Expansion

1 hour ago, trueBlue83 said:

For those who knocked them about trying to buy the Coyotes... had they pulled it off, and flipped it to someone else for $500 million... would they still be idiots?   It was a pure attempt and a quick buck, Bettman saw it, and shut it down.  You can't blame them for trying.

the difference between trying to buy an NHL team, and expansion for a CFL team.  Hundrededs of millions.  And no gain for the group if it doesn't work.   

Knock it if you like... but you don't understand business if you do.

Exactly financing & running a CFL team compared to an NHL team is miniscule in comparison. That being said, Halifax doesn't have the desire to build a 25,000 seat stadium costing upwards of $150-200 million.  I don't think it happens. 

Im not as down on these guys as some.  Yes, they were trying to buy the Coyotes with no money in a smoke & mirrors deal.  But if they managed to navigate that craziness, the CFL should be a piece of cake.  They managed to make significant connections in the Coyotes deal and should be able to secure financing.  Plus, they are local which is important.

The key is a Stadium and the government will have to come to the table.  Hopefully they look at it as a way to justify a Stadium for the community.

8 hours ago, trueBlue83 said:

For those who knocked them about trying to buy the Coyotes... had they pulled it off, and flipped it to someone else for $500 million... would they still be idiots?   It was a pure attempt and a quick buck, Bettman saw it, and shut it down.  You can't blame them for trying.

the difference between trying to buy an NHL team, and expansion for a CFL team.  Hundrededs of millions.  And no gain for the group if it doesn't work.   

Knock it if you like... but you don't understand business if you do.

If they had bought the Coyotes and flipped it someone else for $1 Billion would they still be idiots?

If I sold my house and bought lottery tickets with the proceeds and won Lotto Max, would I still be an idiot?

There are lots of differences between owning and operating  CFL and NHL franchises but losing money, is losing money and Ice Edge lost lots of money. The ROI on the Coyotes has never been good and thinking that you're smarter than anyone else that's tried to make the desert work is foolish. Even the owners of the Atlanta Threashers, which had carte blanche to sell to someone who was going to relocate the franchise, only made $110 Million off the sale. So, if you think Ice Edge was ever going to get $500 Million out of the Coyotes, you don't understand business.

So no, I don't want a group that relies heavily on 3rd party financing to own and operate an expansion team in the Atlantic Provinces. There must be better opportunities for the CFL.

http://www.tsn.ca/halifax-mayor-city-won-t-lead-effort-for-team-1.918299

Halifax Mayor Mike Savage says bringing a Canadian Football League franchise to the city is an "exciting opportunity," but the municipality will not be leading the charge.

The CFL confirmed Thursday it has had talks with a group looking to secure an expansion franchise for Halifax.

Savage said there has been a long-standing interest in the city for a football franchise and stadium — Halifax currently does not have one suitable for a CFL team.

"My consistent response has been that a stadium is not a capital priority at this time," said Savage in a statement. "Any proposal would need to be private sector led and make economic sense for the municipality."

It's the type of thing that once you get a champion, the rest starts to come together.

Now that the CFL is publically pursuing expansion to the East Coast, all the quiet work that people have been doing out there will come together.

I'm sure the city will come on board, once a plan is in place and there is private money attached, just like he suggests.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

If they had bought the Coyotes and flipped it someone else for $1 Billion would they still be idiots?

If I sold my house and bought lottery tickets with the proceeds and won Lotto Max, would I still be an idiot?

There are lots of differences between owning and operating  CFL and NHL franchises but losing money, is losing money and Ice Edge lost lots of money. The ROI on the Coyotes has never been good and thinking that you're smarter than anyone else that's tried to make the desert work is foolish. Even the owners of the Atlanta Threashers, which had carte blanche to sell to someone who was going to relocate the franchise, only made $110 Million off the sale. So, if you think Ice Edge was ever going to get $500 Million out of the Coyotes, you don't understand business.

So no, I don't want a group that relies heavily on 3rd party financing to own and operate an expansion team in the Atlantic Provinces. There must be better opportunities for the CFL.

To be fair, the Thrashers didnt have carte blanche to sell to anyone.  They had to sell to an NHL approved owner.  And relocate to an NHL approved city.  They were also basically going to sell to whomever the NHL told them to or cease operations.  So everyone was inspired to sell low.  But point taken.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

To be fair, the Thrashers didnt have carte blanche to sell to anyone.  They had to sell to an NHL approved owner.  And relocate to an NHL approved city.  They were also basically going to sell to whomever the NHL told them to or cease operations.  So everyone was inspired to sell low.  But point taken.

Right, you still had to play by the NHL rules and didn't mean to suggest otherwise. Simply that the team was allowed to move.

Arizona would be the same but without the opportunity to move. So, arguably, the value of the franchise was lower.

6 hours ago, JCon said:

So, if you think Ice Edge was ever going to get $500 Million out of the Coyotes, you don't understand business.

I do very much understand business.

What did Vegas just pay for an expansion team??  $500 million.  That was the NHL setting the benchmark for what a team is worth.  So yes, they probably would have sold it for that, as Bettman wouldn't have let it go for less.   The deals that were in place with the City of Glendale made the deal palatable, even for a team losing money, as the risk wasn't totally on the owners to pay rent on the building.

Anyways.... it didn't happen, so it's not even worth debating on a hypothetical situation.

Unrelated.... if you haven't seen the 30 for 30 special called 'Big Shot' about John Spano purchasing the Islanders.... watch it!  It's awesome.  Guy almost pulled off a deal to own the Islanders, and had ZERO money!

10 hours ago, mfranc said:

Fan support and finding an ownership group are not the problem in Halifax.  The real reason why this is tough to see happening by 2020 is even a barebones 25k stadium build will be a tough sell in an economically challenged community.

You should see it in Calgary with an arena for the Flames. Unemployment still high here. Even though I think an arena deal will get done it will cause a lot of rancour. Forget about any stadium for the Stampeders.  is there really enough population for Halifax to support a team as that's where the majority of fans will come from& then secondary sales from surrounding areas & provinces.  Halifax couldn't even support a couple of AHL teams over a period of time with cheap tickets. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You should see it in Calgary with an arena for the Flames. Unemployment still high here. Even though I think an arena deal will get done it will cause a lot of rancour. Forget about any stadium for the Stampeders.  is there really enough population for Halifax to support a team as that's where the majority of fans will come from& then secondary sales from surrounding areas & provinces.  Halifax couldn't even support a couple of AHL teams over a period of time with cheap tickets. 

Probably easier to draw 20000 or so once a week max than it is to draw ppl out to weekday evening AHL games. 

As much as ppl dont admit it.. The CFL is a pro league.. The AHL is the minors. 

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

Probably easier to draw 20000 or so once a week max than it is to draw ppl out to weekday evening AHL games. 

As much as ppl dont admit it.. The CFL is a pro league.. The AHL is the minors. 

I never said the CFL was minor league but the annual budget to run a CFL team is far less than an NHL team.