Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

WPG. Own thread coming soon.

CAL . How much do you tinker if at all? But somethin aint right here

EDM. Lots of room for improvement.  Reilly another year older

SSK. Canadas team has lots of FAs, Carter leaving. Huge question marks at QB

BC. Lots of smoke but less flame than grease fire in MTL. Whole new coaching staff at least

TOR. Turning point to build on or just a nice story like OTT last year?

HAM. Soap opera . Key FAs looming. Collaros. Manziel thing.

OTT.  Trending down

MTL. Grease fire until further notice.

4 hours ago, Zontar said:

CAL . How much do you tinker if at all? But somethin aint right here

SSK. Canadas team has lots of FAs, Carter leaving. Huge question marks at QB

just want to comment on these two for now...

Calgary - what do you do?? You've clearly built one of the best teams in the league but can't close on the big stage... look for another QB??... I guess they would need to do some tinkering... but realistically they should be back-to-back champs right now....

Sask - Are you just speculating Carter is leaving or does he have legitimate NFL interest?... IMO he has NFL talent and barely a peewee brain...

4 hours ago, Zontar said:

WPG. Own thread coming soon. It shall be completely rationale and productive.

CAL . How much do you tinker if at all? But somethin aint right here I don't think you tinker. Just keep with it. They've put together a great team. Maybe they lack hunger in the Grey Cup?

EDM. Lots of room for improvement.  Reilly another year older They'll need to find a quality back-up. Reilly ages three years every season.

SSK. Canadas team has lots of FAs, Carter leaving. Huge question marks at QB I expect the Carter Circus to return. I wonder of they can get Franklin or Collaros in FA?

BC. Lots of smoke but less flame than grease fire in MTL. Whole new coaching staff at least I expect Wally to be GM only again. And for the Lions to struggle again next year.

TOR. Turning point to build on or just a nice story like OTT last year? I don't see Ray coming back, so they need a QB.

HAM. Soap opera . Key FAs looming. Collaros. Manziel thing. I expect the TiCats to cut Collaros. I expect Manziel to be nothing but a distraction who leaves the team sometime in July without starting a game.

OTT.  Trending down It's the East. They could go .500 next year and leap right to the East Final.

MTL. Grease fire until further notice. Pour water on it!!

6 hours ago, Zontar said:

CAL . How much do you tinker if at all? But somethin aint right here - Maybe Rogers comes back? either way if they aren't careful they could fall off a bit next year.

EDM. Lots of room for improvement.  Reilly another year older - Reilly traded in the off?

SSK. Canadas team has lots of FAs, Carter leaving. Huge question marks at QB - Bridge given the reigns only to fail horribly 2-16 next year :D 

BC. Lots of smoke but less flame than grease fire in MTL. Whole new coaching staff at least - I'm interested to see how their qb situation turns out

TOR. Turning point to build on or just a nice story like OTT last year? - Ray is back

HAM. Soap opera . Key FAs looming. Collaros. Manziel thing. - Manziel cut during TC

OTT.  Trending down - Harris will bring them to mediocrity once again.  

MTL. Grease fire until further notice. - Reed's got it under control, only minor damage to the club thanks to the matrix.

I agree, why would R. Ray return.

Collaros back to Toronto.

I listened to the Calgary radio post game, they seemed to think there were going to be a fair amount of changes, partly cause (they said) the team is pretty old, and partly cause the O line is not very good.

Has there been any indication at all that Ray is going to retire? Or is this just a case of the media having already buried him last year trying to get a feel good story to run with? 

Cause unless he himself has hinted at it I just can't see Ray retiring, especially now that he's got a coach that makes his job that much easier and that he can win again with. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Has there been any indication at all that Ray is going to retire? Or is this just a case of the media having already buried him last year trying to get a feel good story to run with? 

Cause unless he himself has hinted at it I just can't see Ray retiring, especially now that he's got a coach that makes his job that much easier and that he can win again with. 

Only thing I've heard from him was after the game yesterday when he said we was going to take some time to think about it.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Ray is not retiring. Completely media created.

2 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Ray will be eased off stage. Collaros will have  to come down in price but his money will come out of Rays. Collaros wont be enticed by another backup job either.

I could see Collaros being interested in Saskatchewan. Wacky HC coach aside, there is a great receiving corps and not much competition at QB. If he wants to start, he has a pretty good shot in Riderville next year at some point.

22 minutes ago, JCon said:

I could see Collaros being interested in Saskatchewan. Wacky HC coach aside, there is a great receiving corps and not much competition at QB. If he wants to start, he has a pretty good shot in Riderville next year at some point.

Never say never but Collaros is pretty tight with family and friends in Ohio. Staying in Ontario is very convenient.

Just now, CodyT said:

Why would Ray retire ? This isn’t the NFL where he is worth millions and millions of dollars.

you keep that 400,000 paycheque comin as long as you can (speculating on the 400)

I agree.. I don't see Frito retiring this off-season.   If he gets lit up next year, who knows but as it stands.. he looked solid all year long and I don't believe he wants to hang em up yet.

35 minutes ago, CodyT said:

Why would Ray retire ? This isn’t the NFL where he is worth millions and millions of dollars.

you keep that 400,000 paycheque comin as long as you can (speculating on the 400)

True, he can keep the Frito's van up on blocks for another year, his post football career will be there waiting for him when he finally calls it quits.

1 hour ago, M.O.A.B. said:

The best move Trestman made during the season was Himebauch. I believe their OL gone better after that.

Trestman know how to preserve an old QB. Just like AC he will do the same for Ray.

I know people keep making this comparison, but I  believe Ray is a fair bit older than AC was when Trestman took over, no? And Ray is far more beat up than AC was. Not saying he can't play another couple years, but I don't think this comparison is necessarily apt...

The difference was that AC was like Willy was in his last year in the Peg. They were both gun shy and and playing scared. Not qualities you want in your QB. Ray, has taken some hits for sure but he didn't appear to be trying to chuck and duck. It will be interesting to see what he decides to do.

Regarding the starting Qbs...

Winnipeg - Nichols obviously 

Calgary - Mitchell - a great regular season qb anyways

Edmonton - Reilly the warrior

Toronto - Ray - I think he will be back.  A free agent so I think they will give him $500,000 same as Reilly

Ottawa - Talk of Harris leaving due to some underwhelming results in the playoffs and wanting too much, I think he will be back

Hamilton - Masoli will be the starter although I am concerned by his lack of consistency with the short and medium passes.  He has come a long way from 2 years ago though.  manziel will backup

BC - a little less certain of this... I think we will see Jennings being given another shot at starting.  Despite his injury troubles I think Lulay will try to come back once again.  I give them an outside shot at trying to sign Collaros

Montreal - they will go after Collaros or Franklin, Durant will backup somewhere, perhaps Edmonton when they lose Franklin or Winnipeg

Saskatchewan - I'm not sure if Jones thinks Bridge is the answer.  Kid is pretty raw and might not be capable of being developed into a more polished product or Jones might not have the patience for it.  I don't see all of Adams, Bridge and Glenn back with the team.  My guess is Jones takes a run at Franklin and if he loses out to another team, he tries to sign Collaros who imo will be released by the cats.

Edited by blueandgoldguy