Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Does the Franklin deal mean Ray is retiring? Can't see Franklin wanting to be behind Ray and I can't see the Argos making the trade if they aren't expecting to sign Franklin.

I mean, it doesn't guarantee anything, but I find it tough to believe they would send their 1st pick from last year and their 3rd rounder from this year unless they believe it's a sure thing

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Does the Franklin deal mean Ray is retiring? Can't see Franklin wanting to be behind Ray and I can't see the Argos making the trade if they aren't expecting to sign Franklin.

Maybe the Argos are pitching a Harris / Burris type situation?  Ray comes back in 2018 as the starter, but Franklin is sure to get some starts too, and then in 2019 Ray is gone and Franklin is the guy.

Edited by johnzo

This trade is a win-win-win trade.....  Edmonton gets a great prospect for a guy they were going to lose....  Toronto gets a QB for the future that is not damaged and who can learn from the best with Ray.....   I win because I get to laugh at the Riders losing out on the guy they were certain to acquire....

On 12/9/2017 at 12:13 PM, 17to85 said:

when your qb can only throw it deep and hope for the best not much you can do. Lions were a dangerous team with Lulay taking the snaps. 

that and anyone who thinks Khari doesn't have the mental fortitude to be an offensive coordinator in this league then they are clued out.. the guy was one of the smartest players i've seen.

Just now, JCon said:

I thought this was inevitable but it's still disappointing. If nothing else, fewer options on the market.

I would have thought Kyle had a home run selling angle with "and if you sign with us... Loffler never lines up against you in a game again! Well, as long as you stay a bomber that is.. heh heh"

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

1 hour ago, gcn11 said:

I think the trade signals the transition of Ricky Ray from player to coach.

1 hour ago, holoman said:

I mean, it doesn't guarantee anything, but I find it tough to believe they would send their 1st pick from last year and their 3rd rounder from this year unless they believe it's a sure thing

A year of scholarship for the lad behind Ricky would seem to be in order.

Recall that Ray, widely acknowledged as one of the smartest QBs we've seen, played an entire half season and sat out 3 weeks with an injury and watched our Milo/Trestman offence in 2012 before he "got it".

38 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

I would have thought Kyle had a home run selling angle with "and if you sign with us... Loffler never lines up against you in a game again! Well, as long as you stay a bomber that is.. heh heh"

I don't know, the PTSD of lining up against him in practice each week might be enough to scare him off.

Good to see Franklin heading east IF he signs with the Argo's...I definitely approve of him in double blue than in green and white....Collaros will be the new 'talk of the clown' in riderland now, as their 2 year talk for obtaining Franklin has crashed and burned...lol... They must just hate Popp and company....I luv it. 

5 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Update: Collaros threw for 5500 yards, not 54K. Thanks to J5V for proof reading for me.

25 years old is way different than 30. Jennings is the youngest starting QB in the league and has had more success than any of the current young guns in their first 3 years. He threw for more yards than even BLM did in his first 3 years, although BLM threw a lot less INT's. The big difference is that Jennings hasn't been brought along slowly like most QB's. He's been given the reins and been allowed to make mistakes, which he has done too often. The fact that he threw for less yards and more ints this year than last is worrisome, but that doesn't mean he's done as a QB.

Jennings could become the next Burris or the next Printers or somewhere in between. I'll be very interested to see what he does with a different OC who doesn't want to throw deep all the time and what he can do behind a better O line.

Speed is just mad at Jennings for decimating our D and stealing the WSF from us 2 years ago. If he'd been playing for us and the roles were reversed, Speed would love him! :)

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I thought this was inevitable but it's still disappointing. If nothing else, fewer options on the market.

With Hervey as the new GM in BC the purse strings are going to loosen, Wally might have wanted to cheap out on Manny's renegotiation but Ed is the guy that put up the big bucks to keep Bowman in Edm. so he's not afraid to spend Braley's money.

Sadly Braley will no longer be able to afford that nose hair trimmer he desperately needs.

cfl-grey-cup-vancouver-20130308.jpg

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

1 hour ago, JCon said:

He would have looked good in Blue and Gold. :4_joy: