Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

9 hours ago, johnzo said:

Manziel is still dealing with a domestic violence rap in Texas and might not have even been able to play in the NFL if he hadn't been cut -- as of 2016 he was under investigation under their domestic violence policy with a six-game suspension being a possibility. So he's got some stink on him.

No he isn't. From a Fort Worth newspaper:

A misdemeanor domestic violence charge against former Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel has been dismissed by the Dallas County district attorney's office, WFAA reported Wednesday.

Manziel had reached a deal with prosecutors last year to dismiss the case if he met certain conditions, including completing an anger management course and making no contact with his ex-girlfriend, Colleen Crowley.

Manziel was accused of repeatedly hitting Crowley on Jan. 30, 2016, as they drove from Hotel ZaZa in Dallas to her apartment in Fort Worth.

He was later indicted on a Class A misdemeanor charge of assault/family violence.

16 hours ago, JCon said:

Ah. There you go. I expect they can get a deal done with Montreal or Saskatchewan.

I'm leaning towards Montreal. I bet they want to make a splash.

Jones will hope that Collaros will get released.

Montreal will be the only team willing to trade for that contract.

17 hours ago, Zontar said:

Manziel will be in camp here.

I'd be pretty surprised if Hamilton doesn't already have a contract agreement ready with Manziel that was just waiting for Ambrosie's green light. I don't think they file that contract until they have clarified the existing QB conundrum because it takes leverage away from them, but I agree that Manziel is almost definitely going to be a TiCat....unless Reed makes some kind of extraordinarily stupid trade offer to reunite him with Sherman.

24 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well then, good for him. I doubt if he has much of a choice in the situation he's in. He is hardly a player who'll be picking & choosing. 

Point being if he has the chance to stay in eastern canada, even if it is less lucrative, I 'll bet he takes it

Hamilton has put themselves in a tough spot .. they're humping Manziel's leg while their best current QB is a free agent and Collaros is a spendy non-option.

Nightmare scenario for them: Collaros is cut/traded, Manziel signs, Masoli goes elsewhere and they can't find a decent FA QB. 

Having Manziel under center for the first snap of the season would be madness, unless he is indeed some kind of Doug Flutie level talent.

30 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Hamilton has put themselves in a tough spot .. they're humping Manziel's leg while their best current QB is a free agent and Collaros is a spendy non-option.

Nightmare scenario for them: Collaros is cut/traded, Manziel signs, Masoli goes elsewhere and they can't find a decent FA QB. 

Having Manziel under center for the first snap of the season would be madness, unless he is indeed some kind of Doug Flutie level talent.

I think he is Doug Flutie talented but he's nowhere near as smart or as team oriented as Doug was.  I still think Collaros is still the Ti Cats best option going forward. Not convinced Masoli is a viable long term starting qb in this league. If he was to sign in Montreal I doubt if they'd win more games than they did this season with him as the starter. What do you think Zontar?

10 minutes ago, Zontar said:

In the face of all available evidence I still hope they can restructure Collaros. I like Masoli but only up to a point. I think Manziel is worth exploring but I worry about the three ring circus he will bring. Red meat for lazy media

Put Zach into an offense that is imaginative & he'll do well. Austin's offense was old & tired. Jones changed things up when he became the Head Coach. I share your views on Masoli & Manziel although all that media would be good for the CFL in the US. 

Just an aside but does anyone read the comments threads on 3 Down Nation after every story? By far, the most dumb ass fans over there are Stampeder fans. I don't know if it's one person posing for about four different individual Stamps fans or if it's just all of them posting there are just very stupid but they're worse than Rider fans & that is saying something. If I was Edwards & Dunk, I'd eliminate the comments section & just post their stories. Pretty evident that most of the fans there are clueless. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

34 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Just an aside but does anyone read the comments threads on 3 Down Nation after every story? By far, the most dumb ass fans over there are Stampeder fans. I don't know if it's one person posing for about four Stamps fans or if all of them posting there are just very stupid but they're worse than Rider fans & that is saying something. If I was Edwards & Dunk, I'd eliminate the comments section & just post their stories. Pretty evident that most of the fans there are clueless. 

The sad reality is that most fans are completely stupid. I'd find a lot of Bomber fans insufferable too if I wasn't a Bomber fan myself.