Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

Maybe this will put their Franklin pipe dreams to bed...finally

If I was Collaros too I wouldn't renegotiate....take his bonus due in the winter and if Sask doesn't like it and won't take on the contract then they pay, or let him go...and most likely goes to Montreal with a nice bonus alresdy in his pocket, so his salary elsewhere could be reduced....thats my new years wish lol

It appears to be a good move for the Riders in Collaros can regain his previous form. I do wonder about the monetary side of this, last season Glenn was the lowest paid starter at about what $250,000-$300,000. You have to assume Collaros gets $400,000 or more. How does that impact the rest of the roster?

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

It appears to be a good move for the Riders in Collaros can regain his previous form. I do wonder about the monetary side of this, last season Glenn was the lowest paid starter at about what $250,000-$300,000. You have to assume Collaros gets $400,000 or more. How does that impact the rest of the roster?

With the Riders' creative financial management of the salary cap, does it really matter?

If Collaros tries to hold out for his $200K bonus, he'll be cut a day before it's due. He'll have to renegotiate if he wants a chance to start this year. I suspect the numbers have already been decided on and we will see a new contract story sometime soon. I'd offer him his $200K bonus and another $150-200K in salary/bonuses for the season.

Big risk on this trade, but that's what Jones is all about. IF Collaros gets back to his former self, then it will be a steal and the RIders will have their QB of the future RFN. If Collaros continues to 'Willy', which is what I think will happen, then Bridge will have to step up and take the starting QB job or else the Riders are back to square one in the QB department.

14 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

If Collaros tries to hold out for his $200K bonus, he'll be cut a day before it's due. He'll have to renegotiate if he wants a chance to start this year. I suspect the numbers have already been decided on and we will see a new contract story sometime soon. I'd offer him his $200K bonus and another $150-200K in salary/bonuses for the season.

Big risk on this trade, but that's what Jones is all about. IF Collaros gets back to his former self, then it will be a steal and the RIders will have their QB of the future RFN. If Collaros continues to 'Willy', which is what I think will happen, then Bridge will have to step up and take the starting QB job or else the Riders are back to square one in the QB department.

See, heres the thing.. Willy wasn't ever even remotely as good as Collaros in my mind.  if Collaros can even regain some of his former glory, this is a good deal for saskabush.  Willy would have had to come back at 100% and maintained it after all the hits and injuries to be worthwhile.  I don't think Collaros needs to be back at his original 100% to still be very good.. I think once hes back and in the groove though, he will get back to a very effective level.

Something has got to give in Sask....Bridge still under contract,Adams,Glenn also and now they've added Collaros...Somebody is going to get moved and I bet Mr. Bridge is not the happiest of campers right now...Interesting...Glenn to us or Edm. I would suppose  UNLESS Ray gives it up in T.O.  and heads back to the igloo....Lot's of moves to play out after this trade by Corky

@MatthewWords
BREAKING: A source tells me that #AlsMTL are expected to announce that #Concordia #Stingers Head Coach Mickey Donovan will be their next Special Teams Coordinator. Announcement could come as early as today. #CFL #Montreal #Alouettes

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

I wonder if there's any chance that this deal was made before year end and its just being announced now...  maybe his bonus has already been restructured?

12 hours ago, Atomic said:

There would be some logistical challenges with Halifax. 

There are no direct flights from Halifax to BC but if they could charter a plane it is still a seven hour flight.

If Halifax is playing BC at home at 7 pm, in Vancouver it will be 3 pm.  Likewise if Halifax plays at 7 pm in BC, it will be 11 pm back home.  Bad for the fans and bad for the players who basically have to play in the middle of the night.  It's not just a coincidence that the Eastern teams have always struggled in BC... even when Montreal was good.

Obviously Halifax would only deal with the BC issue twice a year but the problem would still be there for the other Western teams, just to a lesser extent.

Is there enough real interest in Halifax?  Is there anyone that will own the team and support it and not abandon it at the first sign of trouble?  Is it really worth it to expand to Halifax just for sentimental reasons?

Who says the games have to be at night. Saturday afternoon game would work. 

When Collaros looked like the next real deal,  he was competing with Trevor Harris and veteran Jarious Jackson, playing behind Ricky Ray, QB coached by Jason Maas, Coordinated by Marcus Brady and Head Coached by Scott Milanovich.

He left that particular QB greenhouse and promptly lost his mojo.

Remind me how many excellent QBs work on the Rider's staff again?

Edited by bluto
Forgot Jackson. My Bad, JJ.