Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

1 minute ago, bluto said:

When Collaros looked like the next real deal,  he was competing with Trevor Harris, playing behind Ricky Ray, QB coached by Jason Maas, Coordinated by Marcus Brady and Head Coached by Scott Milanovich.

He left that particular QB greenhouse and promptly lost his mojo.

Remind me how many excellent QBs work on the Rider's staff again?

That is an excellent point.  

4 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Who says the games have to be at night. Saturday afternoon game would work. 

Never said it was impossible to overcome.  They are simply challenges.  Every constraint placed on the schedule makes it harder to create.  You'd still be dealing with a 3 hour time difference for Calgary and Edmonton too.

6 minutes ago, bluto said:

When Collaros looked like the next real deal,  he was competing with Trevor Harris and veteran Jarious Jackson, playing behind Ricky Ray, QB coached by Jason Maas, Coordinated by Marcus Brady and Head Coached by Scott Milanovich.

Did he lose his mojo after leaving Toronto?  His 2015 season in Hamilton was pretty remarkable, although it was only 12 games.

6 minutes ago, bluto said:

When Collaros looked like the next real deal,  he was competing with Trevor Harris and veteran Jarious Jackson, playing behind Ricky Ray, QB coached by Jason Maas, Coordinated by Marcus Brady and Head Coached by Scott Milanovich.

Uhhh wasn't he undeafeted as a Hammy QB for a while, it was just the injuries kept taking him out of games. Maybe he wasn't undeafeted, but he certainly put the league on notice his first couple years in Hamilton. To say once he left TO he lost it, is just not true.

4 minutes ago, bluto said:

When Collaros looked like the next real deal,  he was competing with Trevor Harris, playing behind Ricky Ray, QB coached by Jason Maas, Coordinated by Marcus Brady and Head Coached by Scott Milanovich.

Bit of an exagerration...  Collaros lost his mojo when he got rocked by Charleston Hughes...

13 minutes ago, bluto said:

He's been a declining asset since he left whereas he ought to have been ascendant. I stand by the point: he never had the same QB friendly setup afterward and he regressed.

correct me if I'm wrong on the year but in 2015 he was the CFL MOP and sure to lead the cats to the Grey Cup... until he suffered a season ending injury... hasn't been the same since...

I think it would be incorrect to say he was only great with Toronto...

34 minutes ago, bluto said:

well in his defense, he didn't look bad in the first season with Hamilton as the starter either..

19 minutes ago, bluto said:

He's been a declining asset since he left whereas he ought to have been ascendant. I stand by the point: he never had the same QB friendly setup afterward and he regressed.

I guess that "regressed" has a different meaning in Toronto because I'm not seeing it here:

Year    Team    Games    Started    Comp    Att    Pct    Yards    TD    Int    Rating
2013    TOR      18    8      190    287    66.2    2,316    14    6    98.4    
2014    HAM    13    13    279    424    65.8    3,261    15    9    91.9    
2015    HAM    12    12    252    359    70.2    3,376    25    7    113.7    
2016    HAM    10    10    232    347    66.9    2,938    18    8    100.8    

In 2014, with a brand new system  he puts up similar numbers to the year before.   In 2015 before the injury, his numbers are markedly better.  In 2016, after the injury,  his number decline but are still a bit better than 2013.  That doesn't sound like regression.  Sounds more like sour grapes from a jilted fan

If I were Collaros I'd be less concerned with my new team's QB coaching and way more concerned with my new team's pass protection. He was under siege last year. Remember "I can't do my work?"  At least if the Riders don't work out for him, he can go work for Volvo or Toyota as a crash-test dummy, he's got the relevant experience.

Poor Kevin Glenn.  Whenever I see him I hear the Littlest Hobo theme song in my head.

3 hours ago, JCon said:

It's going to be a very full house when Franklin gets to Saskatchewan too. That's part of the plan, right? That's what we were told, unequivocally.

Yeah, now the Riders are going to "run the table" on the league. :lol:

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Population wise it's QC, Saskatoon then Halifax.

Saskatoon bigger then Regina. People forget that.

Uh, that's incorrect. As of the 2016 Census, Quebec City's population is approx. 532,000; the Halifax Regional Municipality's population is approx. 403,000 (the urban area having a population around 317,000); and Saskatoon's population is approx. 246,000.

28 minutes ago, Mike said:

The receivers argument only works if Collaros had dog **** for a crew in Hamilton. They’re not Carter and Roosevelt, but Toliver and Tasker (even Saunders as well) are no slouches.

and in his first year there, he performed pretty good minus the injury bug, no? 

If he gets comfy and doesn't absorb a ton of punishment in saskabush, I don't see why he couldn't return to some similar form to his first season in Ham.

6 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Uh, that's incorrect. As of the 2016 Census, Quebec City's population is approx. 532,000; the Halifax Regional Municipality's population is approx. 403,000 (the urban area having a population around 317,000); and Saskatoon's population is approx. 246,000.

My bad, not enuf coffee.

Just now, Blueandgold said:

When was the last time Collaros won a game?

The Riders can have him.

Not that we needed him but I don't like the riders getting better..  adding Collaros will make them better, I'd put money on it.

15 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Not that we needed him but I don't like the riders getting better..  adding Collaros will make them better, I'd put money on it.

It's contingent on him shaking whatever demons he's had recently, though. It isn't like the Ti-Cats in 2016 or 2017 were rosters devoid of talent on offense. He simply struggled to execute and that's on him and him alone.

7 minutes ago, Floyd said:

That is a pretty sad sack coaching staff...  I feel like almost everyone is going to regret making this career decision a la Tim Burke...

Is it?  I was going to say it's a nice mix of youth and experience.  It was important that Mike Sherman bring in CFL guys and he's done that.