Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

11 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Maybe, but being a backup QB/QB Coach for a year could be under consideration as well. The salary of a backup QB is more than that of a positional coach, especially since he'll likely be Edmonton's emergency QB should  anything happen to Reilly regardless.

Why wouldn't he just stay and do that in Toronto?  Way rather be mentored by Trestman than a loose cannon like Maas

36 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Here's the thing.....I am fully on board with the belief that Davis hasn't really lived up to expectation as a developmental 3rd stringer. The Fever wasn't supposed to be a project...he was just a guy to run short yardage and be "veteran" help, if needed. I could be convinced that we get rid of either or both.....but I *REALLY* appreciated what The Fever did in his short yardage stuff last year, and would hate to **** that up. We were basically automatic every time. If we bring in Glenn or Durant, they're not doing that. If we bring in another developmental kid at #3, can he run the Jumbo/Wildcat stuff as well as The Fever did? Does it matter as much as I think it does?

Absolutely agree. LeFevour was money in short yardage. I don't recall a short yardage play that didn't work.  It would have been nice to see a couple of successful passes in the plays that followed when he was left in. It seems that's all he brings. If we re-sign him and get a veteran backup like Glenn or Durant, we don't develop a future  QB (not that we ever have)... Unless we find a future development project who is great in short yardage.

55 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Here's the thing.....I am fully on board with the belief that Davis hasn't really lived up to expectation as a developmental 3rd stringer. The Fever wasn't supposed to be a project...he was just a guy to run short yardage and be "veteran" help, if needed. I could be convinced that we get rid of either or both.....but I *REALLY* appreciated what The Fever did in his short yardage stuff last year, and would hate to **** that up. We were basically automatic every time. If we bring in Glenn or Durant, they're not doing that. If we bring in another developmental kid at #3, can he run the Jumbo/Wildcat stuff as well as The Fever did? Does it matter as much as I think it does?

I'm in that same boat.  With the fever, you know what you are getting.. almost guaranteed 1-2 yards for short stuff.. often getting 5-7, suspect arm but capable of throwing if need be.  I like having that when we need it.  the one year we didn't have a solid short yardage back, it cost us in almost every game when it came down to it.    I don't care if he is the 3rd string "vet" and we roll with a developmental #2.   Its tough to say who we would benefit more from signing.. Dan or Kevin.  Kevin may actually win us a game on his own if it came to it but he would never get us a TD from the 1 or a 3rd and 2.    Dan may never win us a game on his own but he may win us one  on one of those short yardage plays..

decisions decisions.   I truly don't think getting rid of the Fevor is the smart move though.

32 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Why wouldn't he just stay and do that in Toronto?  Way rather be mentored by Trestman than a loose cannon like Maas

Maas is a close friend of Rays’s, and the rumour is that if he doesn’t re-sign with the Argos he’ll be going back to coach under Maas. 

Im simply saying that he may consider holding the clipboard for a year as well, considering the major need the Eskimos have at that position. 

1 minute ago, sweep the leg said:

We're likely in trouble if any of those guys brought in for a few weeks last season end up #2 on the depth chart.

Yeah, sorry, wasn't clear enough...definitely not suggesting that.......new guys could very well be 3/4, and Glenn/Durant at 2..........if we see changes, that is.....

25 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

I'm in that same boat.  With the fever, you know what you are getting.. almost guaranteed 1-2 yards for short stuff.. often getting 5-7, suspect arm but capable of throwing if need be.  I like having that when we need it.  the one year we didn't have a solid short yardage back, it cost us in almost every game when it came down to it.    I don't care if he is the 3rd string "vet" and we roll with a developmental #2.   Its tough to say who we would benefit more from signing.. Dan or Kevin.  Kevin may actually win us a game on his own if it came to it but he would never get us a TD from the 1 or a 3rd and 2.    Dan may never win us a game on his own but he may win us one  on one of those short yardage plays..

decisions decisions.   I truly don't think getting rid of the Fevor is the smart move though.

The question I have is this:  Is the Fever really that good at short yardage or is it the improved O line making Fever look like he's really good at short yardage?

1 minute ago, WBBFanWest said:

The question I have is this:  Is the Fever really that good at short yardage or is it the improved O line making Fever look like he's really good at short yardage?

this is another really great point, and something I don't know.....could we just slide another body in there and run the exact same stuff with the same success rate? 

The sheer number of posters who are willing to believe that Ricky freaking Ray, if he decides to play another season (and after an East MOP with 5000+ and 19/20 starts, there's no reason why he can't/shouldn't) won't automatically be the starter in Toronto is mind-blowing.

Likewise, the number of posters who think that he'd leave Toronto because he doesn't want to share the QB position only to go be a backup in Edmonton need to have a word with themselves. 

26 minutes ago, bluto said:

The sheer number of posters who are willing to believe that Ricky freaking Ray, if he decides to play another season (and after an East MOP with 5000+ and 19/20 starts, there's no reason why he can't/shouldn't) won't automatically be the starter in Toronto is mind-blowing.

Likewise, the number of posters who think that he'd leave Toronto because he doesn't want to share the QB position only to go be a backup in Edmonton need to have a word with themselves. 

Fwiw, only reason I think he'd leave TO is  because he and Maas are so tight and they want to work together. I think he'll be an OC there before anywhere... Only because of Maas. 

27 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I'm in favour of moving on from LeFevour just to never hear him called 'The Fever' again.

LOL.....Someone should play that Peggy Lee  song....'you give me fever'...I agree Floyd I was getting one reading that reference over and over again....In any event ...Montreal needs a starter and he has a French name....ya think it might work   LOL

Edited by Stickem

10 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

He always ran the sneaks when he was the starter here - Dinwiddie & Elliot sure didn't.

always ran and effective are 2 completely different concepts.  curious if there is any way to track his 3d and short stats.  I don't think they are anywhere near DL's numbers (nobody's are) and gotta remember how many more years Glenn's had on his frame now to boot. 

As Dr.CFL mentioned, you should hypothetically speaking be able to get any backup into a short yardage role and while true, very few are as good as DL has been.   He can run an offense (sorta) if need be.. not his strongest suit tho.