Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

10 hours ago, Zontar said:

Just because you think the league is mickey mouse doesnt mean you can be unprofessional and negotiate through the media. Its weak.

this whole dance with Manziel and his agent has been unprofessional. Both believe they are operating from a position of strength and that couldn't be further from the truth.  They need the CFL more so then the cats need manziel.

6 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

this whole dance with Manziel and his agent has been unprofessional. Both believe they are operating from a position of strength and that couldn't be further from the truth.  They need the CFL more so then the cats need manziel.

The only thing they have is the coach of the team literally told the press that he would be the greatest to ever play up here. Which is obviously bullshit. But they could use that to pump up the price. "You think i'll be the best, prove it" type of deal.

42 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Manziel doesn't have much leverage but if he is patient and waits for the Ticats to come out of the gate slow, he could end up getting the huge payday he wants.  Because 0-4 won't be tolerated.

Otherwise... not sure he's going to get what he wants.

that I agree with.  it will be funny when they do fall flat, bring in Johnny Football and he implodes..

*fires up popcorn maker*

3 minutes ago, Floyd said:

$200k base with incentives up to $450k...  That seems fair.

More than fair. But Manziel camp has no cards to play but by going public they are trying to make HAM look like they are cheaping out and hiding behind arcane rules. Desperate but hes doing his job by trying to max out for his client.

10 minutes ago, Floyd said:

$200k base with incentives up to $450k...  That seems fair.

4 minutes ago, Zontar said:

More than fair. But Manziel camp has no cards to play but by going public they are trying to make HAM look like they are cheaping out and hiding behind arcane rules. Desperate but hes doing his job by trying to max out for his client.

If it were just the dollars, $500k would not be unreasonable, given the revenue and attention that Manziel will bring. But, the TiCats have to live within the salary cap like every other team1. It would be foolish to give Manziel that sort of money and lose a bunch of quality starters.

1 Not applicable in Riderville and/or Jonestown.

22 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

The TiCats should trade his right to Montreal I am sure the assets they get back will be better than the headache that is Johnny Football.

I totally agree. I'd fleece Mtl for a 1st and maybe a starter as well..  seems like they are eager to get into the Johnny Manziel sweepstakes for some weird reason.

Inner monologue:  Does this come in any other colour?  So incredibly ugly...

"Yes, so happy to be here, this is always where I wanted to be."

Inner monologue:  Maybe there is a 5:30 flight out of Calgary and I can commute here every day...

"Yes, delighted to work with such a brilliant football mind as coach Jones"

Inner monologue:  Coach Assclown is offering me $80k a season.  I guess if I do nothing they might release me...

"Coach Assclown is offering me $80k a season.  I guess if I do nothing they might release me...wait, did I say that one out loud?"

I still just not sure why he would be so agreeable to renegotiate when he wouldn't before.

If Rider's didn't like his stance or demands, they would have to let him go..freeing him to negotiate wherever for the best deal he could get, and am sure Montreal would match beat whatever the Rider's offered.

They gave up the first pick in the second round and I believe they have minimal picks this year...so would be a real dumb move if they lost him. I cant see him accepting anything less than 375 as a base with some easy to hit bonuses to get closer to 450...coupled with I am sure a significant raise for Bridge it be a safe bet they are going to be in the 500k range this year for their top 2 QB's and the end of their cheaping out at that position