Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

With Walker..Bowman..Reilly..Gable.. (guys who are already signed) you  have a lot of cash locked up. Reilly signed a 3 year deal in 2016 paying him 400k...years 2 and 3 bump him over 500k per year

So 500 for Reilly..250ish for Bowman..200 for Walker and prob 80-90 if not more for Gable you have over 1 million tied up in 4 guys alone...not leaving a lot of flexibilty...I sure Grymes signed for decent money too.  Thats some pretty scary SMS issues there if you ask me. 

Edited by Booch

17 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Edm will likely take Glenn over LeFleour or Davis wouldn’t you think. Wpg needs a better back up plain and simple.

If Edmonton gets Glenn they will have picked up the best backup plain and simple.  durant would be OK and an improvement over Lefevour but he was not as good as Glenn last year.  As for the comments that Glenn doesn't win games when it matters, that is true but not all of the time.  He won last year's Eastern Semi-Final did he not?  I am pretty sure all playoff games matter.

Give Glenn a decent running game thereby keeping his pass attempts in the 35 range and he can win games.

17 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Give Glenn a decent running game thereby keeping his pass attempts in the 35 range and he can win games.

Roberts, Reid, Cornish, Sutton, Messam, Marshall (though he's not in the same category as the others). Quality RB's/running game,  have little to nothing to do with the lack of success Glen has had in playoff games.

17 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Roberts, Reid, Cornish, Sutton, Messam, Marshall (though he's not in the same category as the others). Quality RB's/running game,  have little to nothing to do with the lack of success Glen has had in playoff games.

As I said he has had success in some playoff games.  Not all, some.  Many claim he never plays well when it matters.  Last I checked ALL playoff games matter.

Glenn played better than Durant last year, no ifs or buts about it.  And that was behind a suspect O-line in Saskatchewan.  I would be OK with Durant as a backup option, but Glenn at this point looks to be the superior of the two.

3 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Probably not unusual for any team in the CFL to have 20% of their cap assigned to three or four players.  I think Bowman is renegotiated or failing that, released.

I don't know about that. Having so much money tied up in just 3 players isn't a great way to manage the salary cap. What about the other pieces of the puzzle with the Esks that needed to be signed? Looks like they'll go elsewhere. I hope this isn't what Walters does. I can't see John Hufnagel doing that with the Stamps. Or Wally in BC when he was GM. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't know about that. Having so much money tied up in just 3 players isn't a great way to manage the salary cap. What about the other pieces of the puzzle with the Esks that needed to be signed? Looks like they'll go elsewhere. I hope this isn't what Walters does. I can't see John Hufnagel doing that with the Stamps. Or Wally in BC when he was GM. 

I don't think there is a receiver in the league worth $200,000, I'd set the upper limit for that position at $175,000.  I'd also reset the clock on QB salaries and make the max payout $350,000 so there could be more money for other players.  If they don't like it they can find another pro football league to play in.

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Didn't Walters already pay Nick Moore 180-190k a season...?  I thought Dressler was close to that too when he first signed

12 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I don't think there is a receiver in the league worth $200,000, I'd set the upper limit for that position at $175,000.  I'd also reset the clock on QB salaries and make the max payout $350,000 so there could be more money for other players.  If they don't like it they can find another pro football league to play in.

If a player can get top dollar then good for him. However, when other positions go wanting because the team can't afford to pay the players already there because of it  then that's just stupidity on the part of the GM. It sounds like Sunderland will be doing just that. .