Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

I thought Bridge had a very strong arm, quick release, slightly odd way of throwing, not that that matters,

but not that accurate, and a bit too willing to just let it fly in the direction of his receiver.

definitely mobile.

maybe a bit like Jennings.

maybe he needs a "quarterback whisperer" who can "coach him up"

I hope he does well in the CFL. Canadian  Q.B.

Edited by Mark F

21 minutes ago, Dr. Blue said:

Isn't Adams on his entry level contract? The Riders have no reason to release him, just to replace him with someone with no experience at the same price.

He's making more than normal for a rookie qb in the CFL.

http://3downnation.com/2016/11/10/vernon-adams-2016-contract-numbers/

I still don't think they'll move him though.

Managing the Cap....doesn’t necessarily mean you created the mess. She might have inherited some of that mess. Promises are made to players, contracts have front end loaded roster bonuses that get eaten to the Cap when regimes change. It isn’t as simple as you might think.

1 hour ago, DR. CFL said:

Managing the Cap....doesn’t necessarily mean you created the mess. She might have inherited some of that mess. Promises are made to players, contracts have front end loaded roster bonuses that get eaten to the Cap when regimes change. It isn’t as simple as you might think.

I have zero doubt that its complicated...  but I also know that Popp and Raiche were working together when everything started to unravel...  different rules in Toronto though ha

9 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

you mean when Calvillo retired? 

I think Trestman would have found a way to make it work without Calvillo.  He's one of the best qb coaches around so maybe he could have developed one of those guys like Crompton for example, to be a competent CFL qb. They had nothing coaching wise after he left. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

6 hours ago, Mark F said:

but not that accurate, and a bit too willing to just let it fly in the direction of his receiver.

tho I think when you're as stacked at receiver as the Riders were last year, just hurling it is not a bad decision.  Be interesting to see what he could do without all that talent downfield.

Coaching issues and player personnel are one source of problems, managerial,  contract and Cap issues are another.  Popp knew how to bend it in Montreal.  Not surprised Copeland got booted to the front office, I am betting there were issues between Popp and Copeland. Popp won the Cup and won the battle. Copeland came from the CFL office and knew the rules, but again he might have lost the war. 

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think Trestman would have found a way to make it work without Calvillo.  He's one of the best qb coaches around so maybe he could have developed one of those guys like Crompton for example, to be a competent CFL qb. They had nothing coaching wise after he left. 

Yes, Trestman is an awesome QB coach. He took Calvillo, an all-star, GC winning QB, and made him an all-star, GC winning QB. He also took Ray, an all-star, GC winning QB, and made him an... all-star... GC winning QB.  

But let's not focus on the CFL. 

He took Cutler, a perennial underachiever with a rocket arm and made him a perennial underachiever... with a rocket arm. 

Flacco, a game manager, with big flashes and a SB, into a game loser... no flash... no playoffs.... 

Trestman is an awesome QB coach.  

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Yes, Trestman is an awesome QB coach. He took Calvillo, an all-star, GC winning QB, and made him an all-star, GC winning QB. He also took Ray, an all-star, GC winning QB, and made him an... all-star... GC winning QB.  

He took Cutler, a perennial underachiever with a rocket arm and made him a perennial underachiever... with a rocket arm. 

Flacco, a game manager, with big flashes and a SB, into a game loser... no flash... no playoffs.... 

Yeah, that's why he was sought out as a private qb coach. Why Tim Tebow worked with him for a couple of off seasons as well as other high draft prospects at qb. Cutler is a total headcase. A selfish Me First player who was never going to be successful no matter who he played for. He was successful with Calvillo & Ray, so what? How many coaches before & after Trestman in Montreal & Toronto were failures with those 2 qbs? Sometimes you just talk ****. 

10 hours ago, JCon said:

How were Ray and Calvillo doing in the previous few years before Trestman arrived?  And then turned it around and had the best seasons of their careers.

21 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yeah, that's why he was sought out as a private qb coach. Why Tim Tebow worked with him for a couple of off seasons as well as other high draft prospects at qb. Cutler is a total headcase. A selfish Me First player who was never going to be successful no matter who he played for. He was successful with Calvillo & Ray, so what? How many coaches before & after Trestman in Montreal & Toronto were failures with those 2 qbs? Sometimes you just talk ****. 

Sorry, didn't realize Calvillo and Ray were poor before Trestman. Those GCs mean nothing. 

Sometimes, you just push your own BS, Stamps fan. 

And Tebow turned out to be so such a good QB that he's a minor league baseball player. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Sorry, didn't realize Calvillo and Ray were poor before Trestman. Those GCs mean nothing. 

Sometimes, you just push your own BS, Stamps fan. 

And Tebow turned out to be so such a good QB that he's a minor league baseball player. 

What you say gets so old that it's totally lame. That's all you got?  No surprise there as that's all you ever say. LOL. I don't have to justify anything especially my loyalty to a dumbass keyboard warrior like you. I was watching the Bombers in person, enjoying season tickets at Winnipeg Stadium  & going to home games before you were born. However, it's so much fun that I will.

Ever see Harry Knight play? What about Tony Guillory? Dave Raimey? Luther Selbo? Billy Cooper? Dale Hackbart? Bill Whisler? Mike Law? Phil Minnick? John Schneider? Rich Wozney? Tom Oberg? Roger Hamelin? Darwin Go Go Gonnerman? Richard Crump? Mike Holmes? Gord Patterson? Glen Schapansky? Butch Pressley? Bob Lueck? Joe Critchlow?  Jim Heighton? Bob Houmard? Chip Barrett? Pierre Desjardins? Jim Kuhn? Rob McLaren, Bill Frank? Butch Norman? Joe Critchlow? Jim Sullivan? Do you remember the 80 Western Semi Final? Who ripped the 80 yard run up the middle to seal the game over the... the... the... who? Do you know the team we beat that day? What were the weather & field conditions like as well?  I know because I was there, were you? What happened on the final play of the 1972 Western Final at Winnipeg Stadium? How did we lose & who did we play? Why do sone longtime Bomber fans still call it the  most heartbreaking loss in the history of the team? I know why as I was there. Do you? After the 1988 Eastern Semi Final at Winnipeg Stadium there was a famous local tee shirt that came out. What was the message on the  tee shirt referring to? I know as I was there. From 1969 to 1989 I never missed a home game. Not one until we moved away. Pfft.  Stamps fan? What a joke. Too funny.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎19 at 9:18 PM, Noeller said:

I've been wondering all week why the **** anyone wants Bridge or Vernon Adams around here.... Of all the things... Christ, I'm just as happy with Davis, and I'm no huge Davis fan. 

Bridge is Casey Printers v2.0 imo. A very athletically gifted QB unable to play within a system but with excellent improvisational skills.  Both guys have been beneficiaries of defences being unprepared to play scramble rules football. Once defensive secondaries adjust to Bridge's improvisations that will be that for his effectiveness.  He is well below average when forced to play within the confines of a system.

Adams is a good prospect who has shown he knows how to win games. In time, he will be a starter in this league imo. I, personally, think he will eventually pass Bridge on the DC.

1 hour ago, gcn11 said:

Bridge is Casey Printers v2.0 imo. A very athletically gifted QB unable to play within a system but with excellent improvisational skills.  Both guys have been beneficiaries of defences being unprepared to play scramble rules football. Once defensive secondaries adjust to Bridge's improvisations that will be that for his effectiveness.  He is well below average when forced to play within the confines of a system.

Adams is a good prospect who has shown he knows how to win games. In time, he will be a starter in this league imo. I, personally, think he will eventually pass Bridge on the DC.

I think if Bridge was given a full season it would look a lot like the one that Jonathan Jennings just turned in.  A couple more years experience and that might improve once he learns to play a structured game but only if he has the aptitude to do so.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

On 19/01/2018 at 9:18 PM, Noeller said:

I've been wondering all week why the **** anyone wants Bridge or Vernon Adams around here.... Of all the things... Christ, I'm just as happy with Davis, and I'm no huge Davis fan. 

I originally typed out a post I ended up deleting but it was pretty much I'd take a hard pass on Durant or Glenn back when they were without a team and wait for Adams to be released in sask.  He's already been doing the short yardage stuff to replace Lefevour and has started and won games to be a potential QB to groom and be the future essentially replacing Davis as well.  I guess Durant kind of fill;s that roll too but is much more expensive, and much much older to been seen as any kind of future so he's a stop gap and come 2019 well be back in the same position